Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Carson Rotisserie for Brazillian Style Egging !

Options
dldawes1
dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
Has anyone had any experience with one of these?

http://carsonrodizio.com/store/grills/carson-kit-by-tomasi

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

Comments

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I don't get it.  It seems to me that each type of cooking approach has its own "best practices," things that are what make that type of cooking work really well.  Part of what's so cool about the Big Green Egg only happens when the dome is closed.  It holds the heat in, contains the smoke in the cooking chamber, keeps the meat moist.  The way you'd cook in an offset stick burner would have a different set of "best practices," or a pellet grill, or a parilla on an open fire.  I don't really see how a BGE with the lid open is that much different from an old fashioned charcoal grill with no lid like my dad used to cook on when I was a boy.  You lose almost all of what's great about the Big Green Egg.  When I cook burgers, lately I have been cooking with the lid open because it seems to be better at avoiding the "burned fat smoke" flavor from burger fat dripping down into the fire.  But for roasting something, which is what a rotisserie is for, I want the lid DOWN.

If anyone has experience with one of these, I'd be really interested to hear what a rotisserie chicken is like compared to s spatchcock, seasoned the same way as the rotisserie bird, but cooked the usual way, with the lid down.  I would have thought that the advantages of a rotisserie would be outweighed by the disadvantages of keeping the dome open the whole time.
  • dldawes1
    Options
    I understand what you are saying about the impressive results of cooking on a closed egg.  No opposition from me there my friend.

Have you ever eaten at a Brazillian Restaurant? The Churrascaria style of serving, then returning to the fire for the next round, is very unique ( to me anyway). I'm not sure you could get the same ambiance throwing the skewers back into a closed egg. Just my opinion.

For me, anyway, my gas grill is a storage for my outside egg supplies. I don't fire it up much. With one rotisserie on it, serving and reheating 6 different meats on individual skewers seems quite complicated and unworthy of the effort.

• Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    Options
    No one has them yet. They are scheduled to start shipping this month. Blake's in Brazil right now putting on the finishing touches. 

I've got one on order and will most likely use it on a gasser or a generic grill. I know it "fits" the Egg, but it kind of defeats the purpose of the Egg. 
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    I have not seen one of those, but love Brazilian. I've done a number of Brazilian style meets on the Egg, usually skewered (with good Brazilian skewers that I got from a festival), with a small load of lump that is really hot, no grid, and skewers spanning the Egg, lid closed. The lid won't close100% but no big deal. I just manually rotate the skewers. 
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • whitmans77
    Options
    I actually have one of his first suitcase models. It was completely self contained in a suitcase. He sold it to a larger company and it looks like this is his new product. The beauty is the meat is rotating so it is basting in its own juices. Its really really good and I can set it and forget it. No real worries about overcooking. I just turn it on and let it go. With all that said I dont believe I would have bought this new version had it come out first. Something about cooking with that lid closed makes the BGE!!!!
  • Navigator
    Options
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    Navigator said:
    Got mine today, put it on a Weber so I wouldn't make a mess of my gasket.

Damn, that things looks cool! I can't wait for mine to deliver. I knew I should have bought more of the accessories...
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Man I love Brazilian BBQ!

I do love it best in a restaurant though.  They take off the outer layer of the beef, resalt it, and throw it back on the grill!   So you always get a slice that is slightly charred and salty on the outside and rare on the inside.  Simply awesome.

They really like to push those chicken hearts though...
    LBGE/Maryland
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Slightly related, a friend of mine married a Brazilian and has since traveled over there a few times to visit her family.  A common appliance in their kitchens is a indoor wall mounted grill.  It looks awesome. 

I can't quickly find a picture of it running, but here is a new install.  These seem to be installed anywhere in the kitchen, I assume there is an exhaust chimney going straight up...

LBGE/Maryland
  • Navigator
    Options
    That is slick!
    Rich
    Ashland, WI  /  Large & Mini Max
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    The Rodizio has landed! 

• dldawes1
    Options
    I still haven't pulled the trigger...but still aimed and ready !!!

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    dldawes1 said:
    I still haven't pulled the trigger...but still aimed and ready !!!
    Good to hear from you. Let us know what you think if and when you pull the trigger. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    Man I love Brazilian BBQ!

I do love it best in a restaurant though.  They take off the outer layer of the beef, resalt it, and throw it back on the grill!   So you always get a slice that is slightly charred and salty on the outside and rare on the inside.  Simply awesome.
    I've eaten at one in Salt Lake City, it's "all you can eat" but the meats were all so overly-salted we couldn't eat very much at all without getting sick.  Too bad, because the concept is great.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month