Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Challenger Designs Grill Cart- Problem

Options
14 months ago I bought a brand new Challenger Designs Grill Cart for $1500. I've been pretty happy with it so far. The drawer has become a little snug to pull out, but nothing too bad.

Last week when I prepped my BGE for a Turbo butt, I noticed that a can of OFF bug spray melted the powder coat and left a decent sized bare spot on the countertop. I suspect that the heat outside may have caused the can to leak (I live in Charlotte NC).

Maybe I'm crazy or ignorant but I'm shocked that a can of bug spray would eat the powder coat off this cart... especially since it cost me $1500.

Not only is it cosmetic, but I'm worried that it's going to rust or cause more paint to come off.

Has anyone ever had this happen? I haven't contacted the dealer or MFG yet. I wanted to post first here.

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong but bug spray should not eat powdercoating like that. Paint yes. Powdercoating no. I'd give them a call. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • air1keh
    air1keh Posts: 18
    Options
    I would appreciate it if you would keep us up to speed on what transpires with Challenger. I too have one of these carts. The wife bought it as a gift for my birthday and I believe as you do that a little bug spray should not impact the surface like it did. 

That being said, your post caused me to look up the warranty. It's posted here:

http://challengerdesignsllc.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/5982614-ChallDes-care_warranty-card.pdf

A couple of interesting paragraphs:

If additional cleaning is necessary, mild soap can be used. Caution - The use of Solvents, Abrasives, or Dish Soap will damage the product’s finish.

I wonder if they consider Off a solvent.

Also this:

Do not place hot items directly on any part of the cart surface. Damage created by hot items can be minimized by cleaning and buffing, but will typically never be eliminated. This type of damage will not be covered under warranty. CAUTION - Take care to never let hot ash come in contact with the painted surface of the product. In addition, wet ash can become corrosive over time, so keep all surfaces free of ash debris. 

What the heck! No hot items on the cart surface and I'm not supposed to let ash come in contact with the painted surface. Not sure after reading the warranty that spending the big bucks on this was worthwhile. 

Good luck with them.
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    Under the powder coat is aluminum and shouldn't rust. Wonder how thick that powder coat is?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Bug spray will eat through car paint.  Don't ask me how I know. 

Powder coats - there are several types, and they are extremely durable, but the one thing you need to know is they're made of organic materials and will dissolve depending on the solvent.

If you can't get warranty service, try to get some repair paint from them.
    Options
    Wow, that is unfortunate, and I feel for you.  I would not have guessed that would happen either.  That said, random chemicals left on the work surface is not is not that counter tops intended purpose.  I don't think this becomes Challenger's issue.

Powder coat, while more durable than regular paint, is still something that can be scratched through, and in my opinion, not the best work surface for an outdoor counter top.  If you end up replacing it, you may consider something like SS or granite.
    Phoenix 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited August 2015
    Options
    bottom of that label (on the can) seems to imply it was leaking or somehow got wet.  if that's from the contents of the can, it sure could eat through powder coating...

see here: http://www.whatsinsidescjohnson.com/en-us/products-by-brand/off/off-familycare-insect-repellent-i-smooth--dry.aspx 
    [TAKES A WHILE TO LOAD]

dimethicone is a silicone, which can eat through a lot of plastics.  ever have those old silicone artificial worms eat thru a shelf in yer tackle box?

there are solvents in there too. ethanol is pretty robust stuff in terms of attacking plastic, which is what many (most, all?) powder coating really is

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Got to love those spray on chemicals...but it's safe for your skin.lol
    That's the first thing I thought of.  The Army used to have bug spray for for your BDUs that you could spray on them but had a big warning to never ever get it on your skin.   Good stuff there!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    Bug Spray is the Devil 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    The DEET is what's dissolving your paint. N,N-Diethyl-meta-toluamide is a great solvent.  The other ingredients like ethanol, etc aren't responsible .

Options
    thetrim said:
    Photo Egg said:
    Got to love those spray on chemicals...but it's safe for your skin.lol
    That's the first thing I thought of.  The Army used to have bug spray for for your BDUs that you could spray on them but had a big warning to never ever get it on your skin.   Good stuff there!
    That was most likely 4,4'-DDT.  Really isn't very harmful to you, unless you're laying eggs.... they're being overly cautious.  Some of the new organo-phosphorus pesticides will F-U-UP.
    whichever chemical or solvent it is, it's pretty clearly the can contents that caused it.  powder coating isn't some invincible material, solvents can attack it pretty easily.

will be interesting to see how it plays out when the manufacturer responds.  they can't list every product that could possibly come into contact with that surface as a warning...  but at the same time, you should expect reasonable performance.
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    Lord knows it scratches. After reading the warranty after I took delivery I went to a tile shop and they were selling of odd shaped pieces of granite from builds. I got a 25x25x1.5. I asked them if they could cut it square for me. Cost me $20 with the cuts. I now have this sitting to the right of my egg.

How do I know it scratches? I removed the slab to clean underneath and leaned the slab up against the cart without locking the wheels. The weight of the slab moved the cart and slid down the side of my cart. I now have a nice 8" slash in my powder coat.
  • ColAngus
    ColAngus Posts: 123
    Options
    I called the local dealer here in Charlotte where I bought it from and he told me to contact Challenger Designs directly. He said to call him back if I don't hear back.

I just sent an email to Challenger with pics and a copy of the receipt.

I hope these guys are reasonable. I'm not looking for new cart or something ridiculous. I just want to fix it.

I'll keep you posted on what happens.

Thanks for everyone's input!

• McStew
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I would just find someone in your local area to powder coat it for you.  The finish is called hammered and chalk it up as a lesson learned.  Bug spray is the devil.  I received a $2000.00 hotel bill because a can a DEET before.  I'm still shaking my head now thinking of it again.  

Hermosa Beach CA 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    While over in BFE South America etc we had issued bug cream and spray. Both were MIL-SPEC and both had close to 90% DEET. Very effective in warding away bugs where Malaria pills were also issued.  But, it would also virtually dissolve some clothing and most definitely eat paint and would even break loose rusted bolts.  Obviously your can is likely a much lower percentage of DEET but, will still cause damage. I would doubt this sort of damage is covered by the manufacturer of the table simply because it is physical damage that has occurred that is beyond their control. I would venture to say they may provide assistance with touch up paint/powder coat it will not be though. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • ColAngus
    Options
    Just wanted to follow up to let you know that the manufacturer said this is outside the warranty and they said I'll need to replace the top.

I'm contemplating what to do. After spending $1500 I'm having a difficult time justifying spending more $$$ on replacing the top.

The surface area that needs to be replaced is about 2.5" in diameter.

Is there something I can place over the area like a patch? Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!!!
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @ColAngus ... first of all, THANKS!  That's the same finish as on my cart ... you've saved me from making the same (or a similar) mistake.

Just brain storming with you ... what about removing the finish around the damage forming a heart, star, diamond, etc., taping off the good surface, and spray painting in black, gray or silver.  Won't disappear, but will be a good conversation starter.

Stick on stuff for shower and tub bottoms ... tell folks it's a drink coaster.

I bought an 18" x 18" floor tile from Lowes and place it on the main surface with four wooden spacers to elevate it so that hot racks and plate setters can be placed on the cart.  That would help conceal the damage.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• ColAngus
    Options
    I like that idea about the hot plate.

I'm pretty disappointed that the powder coat failed. I can't, in my right mind, recommend it to friends or family. Maybe I'm wrong, but for something that cost $1500, I'd expect it to be more durable.

That said, the folks at Challenger have been fair and actually gave me a good discount on the table top replacement. I wasn't expecting them to offer a discount and they've been very responsive. I'll chalk it up to a lesson learned. 
  • McStew
    Options
    why not just pull the top off and take it to a powder coat shop? a top that size should be less then 200.00 to have looking brand new again 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    McStew said:
    why not just pull the top off and take it to a powder coat shop? a top that size should be less then 200.00 to have looking brand new again 
    Agreed here. Just get it done locally. 
  • ColAngus
    Options
    I can get a new top for less than that... I gotta sleep on it. I don't know know if I want to put anymore money into it. 

I found some solid black trivets on amazon for $10... that may be the best bet.
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    look at one of the counter top resurfacing places that are in major cities all over the US.  they do a thin veneer solid surface material to cover your existing formica tops at a fraction of the cost of true solid surface.  Typically are about 1/4 inch thick with a lip on the ends to make it a little more stable.  I'd silicone that sucker on and let it be!

We recently got some new furniture in our main living room at home.  the kids were heading out to cross country practice and SWMBO whips out the bug spray to coat the kiddos down.  Overspray hits the furniture that we have had in the house for 1 DAY and destroys the top coat......  No Bueno!!!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I would replace the top or fix it then put the whole mess behind you.  Chalk it up to "lesson learned".  Whatever way you choose to take the cheap route will always be a Bandaid over an irritant and a reminder.  Egging should not be irritating.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Okay, one more off-the-wall idea. How about contacting @tspud1 about making a stainless steel top.  Might be able to have one made locally, but Tim makes stainless steel egg carts ... as a side to his restaurant stuff.  He might be interested in doing a one off to gain experience in making/selling replacements for others who have damaged paint.  That would give you a no-worry working surface.

Tim's used to shipping stuff - some of his stuff is in Alaska - so where ever you live he can handle the shipping.  He's in the St. Louis area.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Not surprised. I have always been careful to keep bug juice away from paint and plastics. DEET is powerful stuff.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• DaveRichardson
    Options
    Cheap route.....  Rustoleum has a hammered pain in a shaker can that looks very much like the powdercoat.  That might be the easiest and cheapest....

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Yes sir, hammered spray paint, then a trivet.  Remove the middle island and all the loose paint around the edges.  Lightly sand, prime, then paint.  My buddy Mark had an acronym in the paint factory.  RTFFT.  And I'm all about acronyms. lol
    Have seen some nice old Griswold trivets from time to time.  

Found a couple of Longaberger bread basket stones for cheap.  They would cover the patch job and absorb the heat well.  You can see two of them on the table, one square one rectangle. 

This a circle
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Longaberger-Pottery-Button-Basket-Brick-30198-Bread-Warming-Stone-/161820155588?hash=item25ad3b9ec4

Kudos to you for taking responsibility and ownership of your own mistake.  A rarity today.

Also nice of Challenger to even offer a discount in this situation.

Good luck!
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,051
    Options
    Thank you for sharing.  I love the details on the challenger cart, but am unimpressed with the durability of the finish.

Definitely think wood, stainless, or stone is the way to go for outdoor tables for Eggs.

After your post my drooling/lusting after the challenger carts has been cured.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • McStew
    Options
    Thank you for sharing.  I love the details on the challenger cart, but am unimpressed with the durability of the finish.

Definitely think wood, stainless, or stone is the way to go for outdoor tables for Eggs.

After your post my drooling/lusting after the challenger carts has been cured.
    Don't worry bug spray will F-up just about everything you can think of.  It isn't just limited to painted metal or powder coat ...  don't get that sh** on anything valuable ( hardwood floors, vanity, cars , plastic ) spry it on only outdoors and leave it in the tool shed on the floor.  
    Hermosa Beach CA