Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temperature controller / blower - recommendations

Options

Ok, so after my recent thread on Bluetooth meat thermometers, I've gotten to looking more into temperature controllers as a possible alternative.  I realize they are quite a bit more costly, but for what the BGE costs, it doesn't seem like that much of a difference to make the BGE a whole lot better for low and slow cooks.  I see there are quite a few popular brands - the BGE DigiQ, CyberQ, Flameboss, and more.

Since this is the BGE forum, I thought I'd ask here was are people's opinions on these for an XL BGE.  Which one do you think is best and why?  What should I know before buying one of these.  Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

XL BGE Owner Since September 2015 - So expect a lot of newbie questions and please go easy on me :-)

Comments

• jimithing
    jimithing Posts: 254
    Options
    I have a wifi stoker and love it.  I really like being able to control it from my computer and I really like being able to graph cooks to learn more about how the meat cooks.  You can cook on different temperatures and see how quickly the meat temp rises, how long it takes to get through the stall, etc.  It allows you take a more scientific approach to cooking and IMO that allows you to produce consistent results.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Worth looking at : Pitmaster IQ 120, and the Party Q , The Q is battery operated very nice if you camp and no plug in is available. These are both in the $160 range (more or less)

You can go high end but your talking some $400 + dollars.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Another Stoker lover here.    Not sure that came out exactly how I intended.  :) There are cheaper alternatives.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Thecoiman
    Thecoiman Posts: 134
    Options
    +1 for stoker. As added bonus of the stoker is you can control more than one egg/pitt at the same time. if you have the additional bowers and probes
    Garland, TX

2 Large, 1 Mini Max, 1 Mini
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    I'm also a stoker owner and love it

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• MelSharples
    Options
    I have the wifi FlameBoss and love it, very easy to use, great results every time. Definitely not cheap though...
    LBGE 2015 - Atlanta
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    I started out with a DigiQ DX2 and recently purchased the CyberQ.  Really easy to use. Like the WIFI a lot.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    +1 stoker here, too. Very solid device with lots of expansion ports for probes. Nice web interface and works great with the Pit Pal app. 
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • okie
    okie Posts: 33
    Options
    I have a WIFI Stoker, and have nothing but trouble with the WIFI connectivity (it keeps losing the connection, even though the access point is only about 20 feet away), to the point of running Ethernet to it. Other than that, it works great.
    Muskogee, OK LBGE
  • BamaFanInArky
    Options
    Love my Stoker.  If you have two eggs, it is a must.   I bought two adapters, one for my large and one for my minimax.  $15 per kit.     Haven't figured out how to get the wifi going outside my network though.  
  • myc5
    myc5 Posts: 16
    Options
    If you are a little electronics savvy, checkout a DIY type device called HeaterMeter. The Weber guys have an official forum for it. It's a micro-controller together with a Raspberry Pi with wifi.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Over the years, the consensus seemed to be, learn how to use the egg without a crutch before you decide if you want/need one. I don't see that opinion expressed as often these day, but I still think it's a good idea.

I have a DigiQ that I bought after about a year with my egg. It works great, but I don't do as many overnight cooks as I used to and it's not needed for most other cooks. Too easy to maintain temp without it for an hour or two, or even five-ish for something like ribs. For me, a lot of money for too little benefit. 

As for the wifi stuff, I have no interest in that at all. I never cook when I'm not home (and I don't know what I would do remotely even if I did), I don't care about charts and graphs, nor do I care to watch what happens when I change the pit temp because I never DO that. And then there are the connectivity issues that some seem to have. 

The reason I bought a pit controller in the first place was so I wouldn't have to mess with a long cook, not so I could mess with it MORE. I start it up, install the Guru, let it burn for a bit, put the meat on and walk away. I come back about the time I think it's going to be done. And it usually is. That's it. No babysitting, no staring at my computer, no adjusting temps, no watching meat cook one degree at a time. Simple.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I would suggest you evaluate your needs. I use my controllers on overnighters and when running multiple cookers. Not real often, but indispensable when needed. I have dx 2 and party q. Love them both. That said the cyber, stoker and flame boss are all great products. Some have more bells and whistles than others. You may or may not need them all. I like the party q in conjunction with a two probe remote maverick or solar unit. The other controlled are stand alone. The party q just controls the pit, which I would suggest many people use most. You can't really make a bad buy. 
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I originally purchased my Stoker I (one) for my lg bge.  I then added a KJ Jr and purchased an additional fan and pit probe for it (I already had two temp probes).  I now routinely use it not just for low and slow but also for faster cooks, in particular, turkey rolls on the KJ Jr.  I have found that I can comfortably do two 3 lb white meat turkey rolls at 325 on the Jr in about 2 hours and the Stoker does a great job regulating the temperature on this cook, too.   (I like to do the turkey rolls because it makes for convenient and tasty lunch sandwiches, later.)

Edit: Another quicker cook I like to use the Stoker for is jerk chicken low and slow at 250 for a couple of hours--hat tip @THEBuckeye
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• dflores
    dflores Posts: 7
    Options
    I was actually debating buying the thermoworks thermaQ or just springing the extra dough for a temp controller. Realistically the longest cook I would most likely do would be a brisket. Do you guys think a temp controller is overkill? Also I chose the thermaQ out of all the others because it is high quality, buy once cry once unless there is another cheaper option that is a trooper for grate temp/meat temp.
  • snoqualmiesmoker
    Options
    Add me to the Stoker.  I have the Stoker wifi and the original.  Both are great.  The stoker 2 updated the Stoker to N wireless.
    Its Been a solid controller.  Never had an issue with either of them or any the 6 probes and 4 fans I have either.  Its a little more complex for the noob, but after a playing with it, its super simple.  
    The controllers, whichever one you choose, are great and absolutely worth he money.  Just used mine today to control my XL for a turkey.  Best bbq device, other than the egg, I've purchased.  

• ar15203
    ar15203 Posts: 86
    Options
    I just got the cyberq and was amazed at the accuracy of the controler. I have had temperature control problems with my xl and it not staying consistent.  I did have a cracked base and not exactly  sure when that happened and could have been part of the problem. 
    XLBGE, Egging in NH
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    dflores said:
     Do you guys think a temp controller is overkill?
    I would not call it overkill.  I don't just use it for overnight cooks, as I've already indicated above.  I like being able to do my yard work, take my dog for a walk or run to the store without worrying about the temperature.  I know some will undoubtedly say they still do these things without a temp controller, but once you see how locked on your temp will be throughout the cook with a controller there's no going back--at least that's the way I feel about it.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• dflores
    dflores Posts: 7
    Options
    mahenryak said:
    dflores said:
     Do you guys think a temp controller is overkill?
    I would not call it overkill.  I don't just use it for overnight cooks, as I've already indicated above.  I like being able to do my yard work, take my dog for a walk or run to the store without worrying about the temperature.  I know some will undoubtedly say they still do these things without a temp controller, but once you see how locked on your temp will be throughout the cook with a controller there's no going back--at least that's the way I feel about it.
    Now I want a temp controller lol. This forum is gonna make my wallet hate me.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

I bought a Flame Boss 200 recently and really like it. Was about to pull the trigger on a Stoker, but issues with connectivity and concerns about customer service made me change my mind.

The Flame Boss was simple to set up. I egged some ribs while I went to work on Saturday. Its a bit of a learning curve to figure out how to optimally use a controller, but its fun playing with a new toy!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I started out with no controller on my XL and just set my alarm to wake me up every 2 hours to check temps. Then I added a Maverick to let me know if temps got out of whack while I slept. Then I added a PartyQ to keep things set. When the Stoker II went on sale because they didn't have inventory I order it. I wish I had just bought the Stoker from the get go.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Just got Flame Boss 200 for my XL as well. Super easy to use...
    Customer service awesome... @caliking... also great help...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    I built my heatermeter and I love it. I imagine I'd like most controllers that have similar features.  I agree with others, the controller setup work best when you know how run the egg without them, and you'll need to know how to run the egg anyway. 
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • EggcitedinNJ
    EggcitedinNJ Posts: 91
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I have a Flame Boss 200 and really like it. The company's customer service is great and the unit is very easy to use. Lastly, as has been written previously, it's best to learn how to control your Egg without a controller before relying on one.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    +1 on the Flameboss 200 ... if for no other reason than customer service.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• dmirish1
    dmirish1 Posts: 115
    Options
    I love the DigiQ. I can't say that I absolutely NEED it but don't mind being able to see the internal meat temperature without lifting up the lid. I'm not an expert so I don't trust myself to know exactly what the meat should look and feel like just looking at on the grill. And yes I look up nearly everytime on my BBQ Smoking App what the internal meat temp should be to be on the safe side. I don't ever want to risk serving undercooked meat and I don't want to over cook it either. The DigiQ is easy to use and the alarm goes off when the internal temp is GTG. pretty simple stupid. I like it that way.

Winchester, Virginia LBGE, MiniMax

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    +1 on the Flameboss 200 ... if for no other reason than customer service.
    Yep. Good product, some minor issues with mine which they have resolved with lightning speed. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Hi  I was the one that got u thinking temp control/wifi...  I DO like sitting in the den  and glancing at the ipad seeing the temp stay within a few degrees of setpoint throughout the cook   I have an app that graphs the whole cook  & I see the meat probes gradually slope  toward my finish temp setpoint.   it's just cool.   Mine is the CyberQ  but I am really impressed by the apparent ease of wifi setup on the Flame Boss 200  (even viewing from ur phone away from your cook site  thanks to them  having a remote server  the unit just "finds"   a lot easier than the cyberQ need for port fwding in your router/cable modem.       My votes  for  cyberQ  or flame boss 200
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    Options
    I haven't read all the replies, but once I got my Stoker connected correctly, it's been flawless.  Love it.
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Another post mentioned the Stoker is currently 10% off. I got one a month or two ago. Sweet unit.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.