Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ competitions using BGE

Options
 Hi folks.  Last year I entered my first professional competition using my large BGE.  I was the only one there using a Kamodo.  I only entered for the ribs because I just wanted to get my feet wet. I didn't do bad for my first try, got 5th place out of 15 professional teams.  I was the only one man team though.

I want to enter the next one here and might potentially buy a second BGE for the other entries like chicken and brisket.  For those that have been in competitions, what's the recommendation for using a BBQ sauce on ribs vs. just a dry rub?  With a dry rub only you get the taste of the meat more, but I know competition grilling isn't the same as doing it for a cookout.

What's the consensus?

Comments

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Is it a KCBS event? If it is you better sauce them. It's not what you like it's what the judges like. Take a judging class then you know what they look for.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Doglips
    Doglips Posts: 15
    edited June 2015
    Options
    It's ICBA.  I thought about taking a judging class but apparently there are none to take.  Your only qualification is that you want to do it.  That leaves it completely up to individual tastes.  I don't like that because you have no criteria to tailor your cook for.  Some people like falling off the bone ribs, others would score that a zero because there is no bite to it.
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    I've been wanting to get into competitions myself.  I went to the big competition in Tryon NC just to walk around and check out the rigs. It looks like a lot of people cook on Stumps or Jambos.  I only saw 1 or 2 eggs and they weren't being used really.  I wonder if BGE's just make the best backyard bbq but not really competition style bbq.  Remember that competition style doesn't really have anything to do with real life. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Doglips
    Options
    I've been wanting to get into competitions myself.  I went to the big competition in Tryon NC just to walk around and check out the rigs. It looks like a lot of people cook on Stumps or Jambos.  I only saw 1 or 2 eggs and they weren't being used really.  I wonder if BGE's just make the best backyard bbq but not really competition style bbq.  Remember that competition style doesn't really have anything to do with real life. 
    Some of the teams next to me were having trouble getting their grill up to temperature because it was pretty cold that morning.  It was obviously no problem for the BGE.  And yes, competition BBQ is definitely different but ICBA is harder to cook for because you are at the mercy of the judges tastes instead of following a certain criteria.  A rack of ribs that would get you first place with one set of judges might get you last place with other judges.

I looked at their judging sheets and it's very vague.  Like the section on tenderness.  The judges are asked to rate on tenderness from 1-10.  Well that leaves it completely subjective.  You are going to get completely opposite ends of the scale depending on the individual taste of whatever judge happens to sign up for the competition.

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    This might be a really good question for @Meatchurch ..
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Grillin_beers
    Options
    @doglips That is pretty frustrating.  At least with KCBS some of the subjectivity is taken out of the equation.  Has anyone else had a lot of success cooking with BGE's on the competition circuit?  I wouldn't mind picking up another one and then finding 1 or two team mates with eggs and doing a couple of competitions.  However if we aren't going to stand much of a chance I would rather save up for a comp. cooker. 

• B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    Options
    We do a few KCBS comps and use 4 ceramic Kamado grills from 3 different mfg.'s, BGE is one.  We placed 3rd in brisket at one and 6th in Ribs using kamados.  Each grill cooks one meat.  We like the fact that they are low maintence; you don't need to refuel and temps hold real well no matter the weather.  They are heavy and not real fun to move, we'll make rolling carts for next year.  They cook wonderful and we get smoke rings equal to the smokers most comp teams use.

We sauce everything, one big word of caution good eating BBQ is not good scoring BBQ.  One bite to get the judges attention so you have to amp it up.  Not sure about ICBA.  Yes judging is subjective and double blind yet some teams consistently score well so they have cooking and flavor profiles down pat.  That is the real challenge matching the flavor profile the judges are looking for.

One other warning competition BBQ can be very expensive.  Just look at some of those rigs.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Big Moe of Ponderosa BBQ in Des Monies, IA and Pitmaster BBQ show uses the BGE to compete with.  He has a big trailer with I think 4 XL eggs.  

I agree @MeatChurch would source to ask questions.  I would PM him to see if he has some ideas.  I looked at the rules and it is pretty vague on what they want.  Would say if you went with a sauce, go with one that is more like a glaze then think messy sauce.  I used this one recently that was great and had a little heat to it.  I would also think you don't want fall off the bone ribs either.  They are looking for one bite, not the whole rib.  Just my 2 cents.  Good luck and let us know how you did.  Congrats on placing 5th out 15 on your first contest.  I too would like to try it out and my brother in laws brother competes and I may go check out what he does sometime soon.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    Options
    We sauce everything but the brisket.  It is how well your dry rub works with your sauce, finding the right combo is the key.  IBCA half chicken is a bit different, practice, practice, practice.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• JKoch1983
    JKoch1983 Posts: 7
    Options
    I don't think that Moe Cason competes with his BGEs anymore.  Last I heard, he was using an El Rey Smokers stick burner and a Myron Mixon gravity gravity feed.  Loved seeing those big 'ol BGEs on the back of his trailer, though!
    XL BGE, M BGE

Titletown, USA
  • Grillin_beers
    Options
    JKoch1983 said:
    I don't think that Moe Cason competes with his BGEs anymore.  Last I heard, he was using an El Rey Smokers stick burner and a Myron Mixon gravity gravity feed.  Loved seeing those big 'ol BGEs on the back of his trailer, though!
    @JKoch1983 I'm pretty sure you are right.  I read an interesting story about him the other day.  For a day job he works at a sewage treatment plant.  It's pretty nuts that he hasn't been able to make enough money to go full time with the level of success he has had. 

• Ladeback69
    Options
    JKoch1983 said:
    @JKoch1983 I'm pretty sure you are right.  I read an interesting story about him the other day.  For a day job he works at a sewage treatment plant.  It's pretty nuts that he hasn't been able to make enough money to go full time with the level of success he has had. 
    That's interesting, because he also has a restaurant in Des Monies, IA to run too, but my guess is he has someone running that for him.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Grillin_beers
    Options
    @Ladeback69 Let me see if I can track down the article. 

• Grillin_beers
    Options

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    JKoch1983 said:
    That's interesting, because he also has a restaurant in Des Monies, IA to run too, but my guess is he has someone running that for him.
    From what I hear, the sewage plant job is a city job and he keeps it for the health insurance (smart move)
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    I see BGEs at comps every so often, but not a lot. They don't seem to place well from what I have seen. Now mind you I don't go look at everyone's set up either as it is usually fast paced to try and remember everything and to get it all done.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    @Grillin_beers, that's a good article thanks for share and @SoCalTim, I can believe and understand that.  I need to check out his restaurant next time I am in Des Monies visiting my brother.  Out of the two establishments her in KC Arthur Bryant's is my favorite and they both are must to try when visiting KC.  Some of the best BBQ here in town is some holes in the wall places like LC's BBQ.  and understand 

Kansas City, Mo.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    From what I hear, the sewage plant job is a city job and he keeps it for the health insurance (smart move)
    Health insurance, government pension/retirement, sick leave.... He'd be a fool to leave all that for BBQ and Obamacare. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Doglips said:
     Hi folks.  Last year I entered my first professional competition using my large BGE.  I was the only one there using a Kamodo.  I only entered for the ribs because I just wanted to get my feet wet. I didn't do bad for my first try, got 5th place out of 15 professional teams.  I was the only one man team though.
    Your story and mine are almost identical.  I just entered my brisket to get my feet wet last year too, got 5th out of 16 (and that's with zero points for presentation, which I still do not want to talk about), and also the only one-man team.
    This competition encouraged giving samples to the crowd, and a single BGE just isn't made for that; I was handing out 1"-square slices of brisket and other teams were giving out full ribs and wangs to everyone.  
    I was FRIED by the end (hot, standing on asphalt, no breeze, smoke billowing everywhere, bad knees, etc).  It was a bucket list item for me and I'm glad I did it.  Once.  But I'll be happy in the future to bring a briskie into the office potluck and get a few oohs and aahs, that's good enough for me.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Doglips
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Botch said:
    Doglips said:
    Your story and mine are almost identical.  I just entered my brisket to get my feet wet last year too, got 5th out of 16 (and that's with zero points for presentation, which I still do not want to talk about), and also the only one-man team.
    This competition encouraged giving samples to the crowd, and a single BGE just isn't made for that; I was handing out 1"-square slices of brisket and other teams were giving out full ribs and wangs to everyone.  
    I was FRIED by the end (hot, standing on asphalt, no breeze, smoke billowing everywhere, bad knees, etc).  It was a bucket list item for me and I'm glad I did it.  Once.  But I'll be happy in the future to bring a briskie into the office potluck and get a few oohs and aahs, that's good enough for me.  
    ha, I would say our stories are more identical than you realize.  I too was zero for presentation.  I had not focused on that aspect of the competition at all.  My carving knives were junk knives from Walmart.  I did a terrible cutting job and the ribs looked like a dog chewed them up when I placed them in the box.  While the others were so perfectly cut they looked fake!

This year I plan to do a brisket and rib combination using a soon to be purchased Woo.  I can't do chicken because I would have to buy a second BGE just for the task.
  • MeatChurch
    MeatChurch Posts: 200
    Options
    Happy to help. Email me - matt@meatchurch.com
    XL, Large, Mini-Max in Texas - Big Green Egg Competition Team 

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I saw Moe Cason at a competition in Fort Worth last year. He was using a big stick burner. Nice guy.
    Wouldn't be surprised if he was using an El Rey, those are some good looking smokers. A buddy ordered a custom El Rey and should be getting it next month. I didn't ask how much it costs. He opted for the black rather than the car paint job like they do on most of the trailers.
    I haven't seen a lot of BGEs at competitions around here. There are a few and they often only have BGEs setup. The rest all use big trailer stick burners so they can cook 3 briskets, 4-6 ribs, 3 butts, 2-3 chickens, etc., all at once. But the BGE guys sure do like to share their food to people walking by and talk about the egg.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    @Grillin_beers, that's a good article thanks for share and @SoCalTim, I can believe and understand that.  I need to check out his restaurant next time I am in Des Monies visiting my brother. 
    @Ladeback69 and @Grillin_beers
    What restaurant is Mo affiliated with? I live in a suburb of Des Moines and have tried most of the places around here, but I didn't know he was involved.  I bought some of his sauce to give as a gift for Christmas and it got rave reviews but then I couldn't find it again for 8 months...I will say it is fantastic though. 
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • Grillin_beers
    Options
    @Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic I honestly don't know. I wish I could help you out.  Have you tried his website? 

• Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    Thanks @Grillin_beers , I did look and it mentioned catering coming soon, but no restaurant...
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited August 2015
    Options
    @Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic

http://www.ponderosabbq.com/    I don't think he actually has a restaurant. 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    Thanks @Thatgrimguy  I checked that one out, I know where the retail outlets are that sell the sauce but I don't see any reference to a restaurant 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Thanks @Thatgrimguy  I checked that one out, I know where the retail outlets are that sell the sauce but I don't see any reference to a restaurant 
    I edited after, I don't think he has a restaurant. He has talked about opening one a bunch of times, but never secured one as far as I know. 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    I didn't think so either but if he did (or ever opens one) I'll be first in line
  • Texansurf
    Texansurf Posts: 507
    Options
    Always cook to the judges... Sadly most of the judging is done before they even take a bite.   Appearance.   Have a very good sharp knife that you can cut with a single pass.  Make sure the bark and smoke ring is solid.  With brisket, the fold or pull test is key.  With ribs, the bite test, a little pull that leaves a perfect tooth outline is key.   As far as sauce goes, conservative and appropriate for the region you are cooking in is what you should use.

Corpus Christi, Texas.  LBGE x 2, Weber Smoky Joe, and Aussie Walk-About