Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Which way does the fire ring go

Options
Rohn
Rohn Posts: 3
I have a medium egg that's been disassembled and unsure which way the fire ring goes. I have noticed in some pictures that the fire ring has big square notches on one side and shallow notches on the other. The one I have is smooth on one side and has the shallow "u" shallow notches on the other side. Does the smooth side go down on the fire box.  Also why do I notice that the others I see have the notches like I described above and mine does not. Thank you in advance.   

Rohn White
Darlington, S.C.

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Yes it should go smooth side down. 

They changed the fire ring in 2012 or so to use square notches to hold the plate setter. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    ^^^^^this
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    And I place one of the notches at the 12 o'clock position.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    You will notice that two of them are closer together than the other one like in the picture above.  I place the "loner" at the 12 o'clock so the plate setter can block some of the heat coming up from the back since it tends to be hotter there.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• johnnyp
    Options
    You will notice that two of them are closer together than the other one like in the picture above.  I place the "loner" at the 12 o'clock so the plate setter can block some of the heat coming up from the back since it tends to be hotter there.
    I actually do it backwards for a little different reason.

over time, the "center" of our fire moves during low and slows.  This makes slightly uneven temperature variances at different locations in the egg.  To keep my dome thermometer from have temp fluctuations that cause me to overreact, I put one of the legs at 6 o'clock to act as a heat shield for my thermometer.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    BGE changed the fire ring over time. Don't quote me, I maybe wrong, but I think originally they came with one side smooth and one side with U nothches. A later design had notches in it that the legs of the plate setter could set in. I think the other side has shallow notches. I can't remember why the change. Maybe something to do with adjustability.  I have the older style so I have no idea...

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Rohn
    Options
    Thanks for all the information, not sure if I need to start another post as I just joined so please correct me if wrong as I want to ask another question. I live in S.C. "hot and humid"  and my BGE has mold/mildew really bad from sitting for 5 years or better. I realize the heat from the first time I fire it up "probably today" will kill it but is that the way to do it or should I wash with something ? Thanks again. 

Rohn White
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Rohn said:
    Thanks for all the information, not sure if I need to start another post as I just joined so please correct me if wrong as I want to ask another question. I live in S.C. "hot and humid"  and my BGE has mold/mildew really bad from sitting for 5 years or better. I realize the heat from the first time I fire it up "probably today" will kill it but is that the way to do it or should I wash with something ? Thanks again. 

Rohn White

Just let it get real real hot. I would clean all the ash out, load it up with fresh charcoal, light it, and leave the top off and bottom fully open. Make sure to take the thermo out of it and just let it run till it runs out of fuel. It will hit temps close to 1000 degrees and in some cases higher. That will kill any bacteria and clean it perfectly.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • johnnyp
    Options
    +1 on the burn off. buy a bag of cheap lump and let 'er rip.

also, +1 on thermometer removal.  But after a couple years, maybe you need to recalibrate anyways
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I live in S.C.
    Rohn White
    What part of the Palmetto State you hail from? Columbia myself.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Rohn
    Options
    Rt off of interstate 20 exit 131 the race track exit to Darlington. Only a mile or so from the interstate. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Interesting 'cause I have a 2012 MBGE and the fire ring will only go in one way - smooth side down, notches up. It is slightly tapered. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!