Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

College Football Fans - Gameday Cooks/slightly OT

Options
I am anxiously awaiting the college football season. I'm a huge LSU fan (not optimistic this year). Born in NO but grew up in SW Miss. about an hour north of Baton Rouge. Wife's family all from BR. We typically entertain 10-15 on gamedays (mostly Ole Miss and Miss State fans) and like to cook all day (usually attend 1-2 games a year). Favorites from guests seem to be pork butt, ribs, and smoked chicken. Always plenty of bloody marys and beer to go around and we enjoy watching games on our deck TV.

I was wondering how everyone spent their Saturdays in the fall what they like to cook on gameday. Also, who's your team and how do you feel about the upcoming season? Cheers! 

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Big fan here......and do football tailgate cooks at Williams Brice Stadium.....  Usually do an away game or two each year. Have been to Baton Rouge for a night game, but was quite a few years ago....(and we won). Been to all the SEC stadiums except Miss State and the two newbies to the league. Want get to either this year...but will at some point. Nothing beats the SEC on Saturdays down south. Every Sat in the fall starts off with Tito's, Zing Zang and a few additional ingredients that i enjoy.

I have to say, I enjoy the college baseball season even better. Go Gamecocks and perhaps we will see you in Columbia on 10/10? 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Tupac
    Tupac Posts: 20
    Options
    I've been wanting to go to a game at Williams Brice for a while but won't be able to make it this year unfortunately. SC is a great place. I have buddy that lives in Anderson and married into a Clemson family so I appreciate that rivalry. He's also a UGA fan so I've enjoyed his rants on Spurrier and the gamecocks in recent years. 

Love baseball as well. Lots of respect for Ray Tanner and the accomplishments of the program. I imagine Holbrook will have them back at the top this season. 
    We love College Football!!! Usually tailgating at BB&T field in W-S (heavy on the adult beverages) as we get ready to go watch the Wake Forest Demon Deacons take the field - no laughs - our son was an O-lineman there! We've traveled and tailgated all around the ACC!  nothing beats a tailgate in South Bend!!!  My favorite team is the Wolfpack and very optimistic about the season for the Pack! the Deacs - well there is alcohol in the stadium! 
    We've spent the last 5 years tailgating with other parents - but down to just a few of us now as ours sons have all graduated and moved on! 
    Our menu is a variety over the season - but includes pork sliders, chili, breakfast (usually have early games due to not so stellar season).  Always have ABTs, bacon wrapped smokies, mimi's dp (the best!), chips and salsa.  Of course a spread of desserts and all sorts of adult beverages!
    Cary, NC    LBGE & Mini Max
  • tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    Options
    Spend almost every weekend in the fall in College Station and move between 2 tailgates. My best friends families, which is usually around 6-12 and my best friend and I are usually the ones responsible for cooking, and my college roommates, which is probably 50 or so and I'm just there to drink and look at the scenery. 

We do lots of different things at the family tailgate depending on timing of the game. Early kick offs mean something quick and easy like burgers and dogs and night games at Kyle Field means ribs/brisket/pork/chicken. I'm stoked to take the Blackstone down this year for breakfast and lunch snacks. 

I couldn't be more excited about this year. Kyle Field will be finished. New and improved Aggie Defense under Chavis and revitalized O line from Christensen. A full spring and fall with Kyle Allen calling the plays. And a stable of running backs and wide receivers. I think it's going to be a lot like 2012 and people don't expect much from us, but I think we're going to shock a lot of people and finally beat LSU. I think we win 9 games plus a bowl game and finish tied for 3rd in the best division in the country.

Gig 'Em and God bless the SEC
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Big Dawgs fan.  We have season tickets and will be in Athens 33 days from today (but who's counting).  We'll also be in Nashville for the Vandy game Sept. 12th.
    We smoke a lot of butts and brisket for the games.  ABT's, Pig Shots, pulled chicken.....CAN'T WAIT!!!  
    I'm always optimistic going into a season then spend the rest of it waiting for the other shoe to drop.  I don't have a clue how it'll shake out this year but I like our chances.  Come 12pm September 5th I'll be between those hallowed hedges wearing my red and black yelling for 'em just like I did when I was 8.  Never gets old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj1efn9068A 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Options
    Not a college fan, per se, as I went to a very small D3 school and generally don't have a horse in the race. That said my Sunday's are similar with NFL games. 
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    Big UGA fan.. Now that my kids are older.. 2.. haha! it's easier to get into the festivities.

I usually deal with stuff I can put on early and keep going.. Gameday is coffee and breakfast on the grill.. Then cooled down and some wings on there.. then into the fryer.

And I might toss on ribs for dinner as well depending if my wife is working or if she's home.

I can not wait, love the late summer and fall- a nice fire outside to finish the late games with a drink.. YES SIR
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Love college football (passes the time until roundball as I'm a, you guessed it, Wildcat fan!).  Wings are my go too along with some smoked sausage.  Getting ready!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Options
    We always make some pork butts, wings, nachos, etc. always a variety.  I usually go to 2-3 games a year, will be at the Oklahoma game this year.

I enjoy cooking all day and watching at home almost as much as going. Almost because there is no place like Neyland for a big game, especially with all the hype this year that OU game is going to be insane. I am cautiously optimistic but I believe 2016 will be our year to win the East. 
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Lets go Gamecocks!!!!   Woooooooooo!!!  And BTW @Tupac , college football is in no way, shape or form OT on a BBQ forum.   =)   ;)  I like doing pizzas, wings, ribs, and other finger foods for game day.  
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I'm not much for college football(went to a basketball school) but we have a game we go to per year that we have a blowout for.
  • GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    Options
    @GATraveller wasn't Munson the greatest to listen to! I will also be in Nashvile in Sept.
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    GaBGE said:
    @GATraveller wasn't Munson the greatest to listen to! I will also be in Nashvile in Sept.
    Munson was a legend for sure.  I went to every home game with my dad growing up and most of the away games.  We always watched the away games with our TV muted and Munson playing on the radio.  I don't think there will ever be another broadcaster like him. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • GATraveller
    Options
    GaBGE said:
    GaBGE said:
    Munson was a legend for sure.  I went to every home game with my dad growing up and most of the away games.  We always watched the away games with our TV muted and Munson playing on the radio.  I don't think there will ever be another broadcaster like him. 
    He was one of a kind and is sorely missed.  I either listened to him on a headset from the stands or on the radio with TV volume turned down also.  

@GaBGE - we're staying at the Holiday Inn at the stadium and will be tailgating before the game.  Give me a shout and we'll hook up!    

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Ole Miss fan here!! Looking forward to games on my deck. I do the games at my house and we cook everything and anything. A lot of Gumbo and jambalaya. The 4 core bbq meats (ribs, butts, chicken and brisket) happen often. And now with the blackstone I'm sure I'll find some new stuff to throw out!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    My daughter goes to Texas A&M so we make it to a game or two every year.  We have tailgated at the stadium, but this year we'll probably do it at her house.  At the stadium, the best thing I ever cooked was blackened beef tenderloin sliders.  We may do that again this year as we didn't do it last season.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• IPASooner
    IPASooner Posts: 208
    Options
    This is a great thread! Even though I live up in the Boston Area now I still have major love for my Sooners. I even have converted most of my friends into OU fans up here. I bribe them with tons of food and booze so it all works out. This will be my first year with the egg so I am super excited to be able to serve up some tasty smoked food for folks. 

Like many on here, the party starts early on gamedays with bloody mary's and orange beers. Only a few weeks left...CAN'T WAIT!!! 

LBGE

Marblehead, MA
  • Texansurf
    Texansurf Posts: 507
    Options
    I love football, I even will bring a radio to the dove hunt and listen while shooting.

I like to cook brisket, sausage, and chicken.

Sometimes we will do ribs and pulled pork.     

For the Thanksgiving day games, Turkey, 

Morning games kegs and eggs, usually taco's.  Football should not be played in the am, period.

Team leader Texas Tech Universitys head coach Kliff Kingsbury wasTexas Tech Tradition The Masked Rider images of Texas Tech Photos
    Corpus Christi, Texas.  LBGE x 2, Weber Smoky Joe, and Aussie Walk-About
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Ole Miss fan here!! Looking forward to games on my deck. I do the games at my house and we cook everything and anything. A lot of Gumbo and jambalaya. The 4 core bbq meats (ribs, butts, chicken and brisket) happen often. And now with the blackstone I'm sure I'll find some new stuff to throw out!
    Buddy of mine and I made the trip to the SC / Ol Miss game a few years back. We had an absolute blast in the Grove. We purchased a disposable grill and did some kabob's in our parking lot....and then ventured about. Would love to go back for another round....if you know what I mean.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • GATraveller
    Options
    I came really close to attending Ole Miss.  Quite a few of my friends did and I visited often.  Love Oxford!

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    UGA and SEC fan here.  Dad got several degrees from Mater's to Doctorate, and so on from UGA in Education.  Needless to say, I cut my teeth listening to Larry Munson and watching the Dawgs in Sanford Stadium.  We have made it a goal to get dad to all the SEC stadiums within the next 5 years.  All he lacks is LSU and Texas A&M.

Went to Southern Miss with Brett Favre.  Worked in the Athletic Dept for a while and continued in Collegiate, Semi-Pro, and other levels of sports.

Nothing can beat the SEC!  The new Cambro will definitely be helping my cookout for games.  Many boston butts and chicken will be going down this year!

And you South Carolina Game-chicken folks....  Ya'll have a great stadium and atmosphere during a game, but please, someone PLEASE, pour some concrete and make that upper deck not move from side to side!  That's a little uneasy feeling!!!!!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• tamu2009
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    My daughter goes to Texas A&M so we make it to a game or two every year.  We have tailgated at the stadium, but this year we'll probably do it at her house.  At the stadium, the best thing I ever cooked was blackened beef tenderloin sliders.  We may do that again this year as we didn't do it last season.
    @foghorn What part of campus did you tailgate on? The opposite sides of Kyle have a very different to them. The east side of Kyle in Spence park has more of a Grove feel (not that I'm comparing it to the Grove, because we all know nothing compares) since you cant have generators and it's less acreage for people. People have been there for years tailgating. The east side of Kyle by Reed Arena is an all out party. Generators, huge BBQ pits, way more people.  My college roommates put on a big one on the west side by Reed Arena. 

No offense, but I would HATE to 'tailgate' at home and then go to the game. Most of the fun is being on campus with everyone else.
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    tamu2009 said:
    Foghorn said:
    @foghorn What part of campus did you tailgate on? The opposite sides of Kyle have a very different to them. The east side of Kyle in Spence park has more of a Grove feel (not that I'm comparing it to the Grove, because we all know nothing compares) since you cant have generators and it's less acreage for people. People have been there for years tailgating. The east side of Kyle by Reed Arena is an all out party. Generators, huge BBQ pits, way more people.  My college roommates put on a big one on the west side by Reed Arena. 

No offense, but I would HATE to 'tailgate' at home and then go to the game. Most of the fun is being on campus with everyone else.
    @tamu2009, we actually have been just north of the stadium where "Tailgate Guys" rent space and have a tent set up for you before you arrive and have a drop off spot where they then carry all your stuff to your tent. I did it the first time because I didn't know where to go as I had never been to a game there.  It was good, but we were definitely with a select group of people who were willing to pay for space so I've been looking around to figure out the logistics of tailgating to the east or west.  I've wandered around a little before the games and seen what you describe on those sides of the stadium - and what you say now totally makes sense.  I wish someone had explained it to me like that two years ago. 

If we do it at her house, it will be with her roommates' families and several other families that we know from San Antonio that we don't see much any more because our kids are in college - rather than playing soccer together every weekend - so we'd probably have 30 people which would be a good party.  We would plan to eat well before game time then make our way to the stadium to visit some friends tailgating at Kyle. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• tamu2009
    Options
    @Foghorn well that would be fun, but I still think being on campus is half the fun, although it can be a pain to set up and take down, I think it's worth it. If you're looking to make it to campus, you can "claim" you spot with stakes and rope at noon on fridays in either spence park or west campus by Reed and then set up Saturday morning and have to be taken down by midnight i think (that's just a suggestion). I think they have people that will set up for you on the east and west side like you did, but the spot will be better (in my opinion) since you'll be in the heart of the tailgating scenes. 

• jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Options
    GaBGE said:

Being a Tennessee fan I still loved Larry Munson, even after the "hobnail boot game."  That may be the most depressed I've ever been after a loss. John Ward is obviously my all time favorite broadcaster but Munson was definitely one of a kind and fun to listen to. 
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Tupac
    Tupac Posts: 20
    Options

I need to convince my wife I need the Blackstone. She wants more deck furniture. We'll see who wins. Grim, you live in Mississippi?  I'm in Madison. 
    Options
    Tupac said:

I need to convince my wife I need the Blackstone. She wants more deck furniture. We'll see who wins. Grim, you live in Mississippi?  I'm in Madison. 
    I'll put my $$ on the wife!!   =)

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • BigJonMoo73
    Options
    This will be my first football season with the BGE and I'm hoping I can get some people over to entertain! Looking forward to football and BGE'ing!
    Little Elm, Tx
    LBGE