Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Cabinet Completed & Checked Out

Options

Comments

• EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    Options
    BTW, if you ever quit your day job, you'd have a career building tables for the rest of us Eggers!
  • A31unit
    A31unit Posts: 199
    Options
    Simply Amazing!
    LBGE. Plate setter, PS Woo2, Flame Boss 200.  Moorestown, South Jersey (about 15 min outside of Philly, Don't hold it against me.  I would most likely rather live where you are)
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    That AWESOME!! Love it!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • EggHeadDad
    EggHeadDad Posts: 66
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    Where's the dimmer controls located?
    I have an RF dimmer controller located under the top above the top drawer.  You can see a picture in my Flickr album at:  https://flic.kr/s/aHskdd8Ebd

• EggHeadDad
    Options
    About how much did it run to construct?
    I haven't tallied the full cost but I estimate $1,200 in materials and 80 hours in my labor.  The main cost driver was the Sapele wood (100 bf at $8.00/bf milled).
  • EggHeadDad
    Options
    EagleIII said:
    BTW, if you ever quit your day job, you'd have a career building tables for the rest of us Eggers!
    I need to get my girls out of college and a space to build that isn't my wife's parking place in the garage.  ;)
  • EggHeadDad
    Options
     I need to buy a bunch more clamps. 
    Yeah, you can never have too many clamps on a large glue-up.  =)
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    Awesome build!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• pswarren
    pswarren Posts: 98
    Options
    WOW! Gorgeous table! That is quite the Festool collection as well.
  • EggHeadDad
    Options
    pswarren said:
    WOW! Gorgeous table! That is quite the Festool collection as well.
    Thanks.  I love my Festool collection.  Everytime I get them out I remember just how great they are to work with.
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    Beautiful work. Love the LEDs!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited July 2015
    Options

Very impressive table.  But that write up was incredible.   Thanks for documenting so carefully.  

If you don't mind me asking, I'm curious what you have in it for materials?  My guess would be about $1300 - close?

Enjoy your beautiful new set up.

Edit. Didnt see second page when I posted. Saw you answered already about $.
    Phoenix 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,170
    Options
    LOVE IT. The attention to detail is amazing. Thank you for sharing and inspiring. True craftsmanship is becoming a lost art. 
  • Thecoiman
    Thecoiman Posts: 134
    Options
    That is truly a beautiful table and functional. I am envious of your wood working skills.
    Garland, TX

2 Large, 1 Mini Max, 1 Mini
  • PorkU
    PorkU Posts: 32
    Options
    @browntw79 I have a very special table coming that should be finished tomorrow or Friday of this week and I can only hope its half as nice as what you have built!!  What an unbelievable looking table...Clean and modern.  Awesome set up my man!!
    WWW.PORKU.NET

FACEBOOK.COM/PORKU11

INSTAGRAM  PORK_U

TWITTER.COM/PORKUNIVERSITY

PERISCOPE  PORK U
  • Sonny3
    Sonny3 Posts: 455
    Options
    World Class for sure.  Makes my little table build look pale in comparison.  You obviously are one very talented dude.  Nice job sir.
    Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.
  • EggHeadDad
    Options
    PorkU said:
    @browntw79 I have a very special table coming that should be finished tomorrow or Friday of this week
    Thanks @PorkU.  Post pics of your table once you're up and running.

• EggHeadDad
    Options
    Thanks @Sonny3. Keep choking the life out of every day!

• EggHeadDad
    Options
    I finally got my backordered handles delivered this week.  This was the original vision I had in May.  Cheers!

More pictures posted on Flickr at https://flic.kr/s/aHskdd8Ebd
  • PMG
    PMG Posts: 50
    Options
    @EggHeadDad - MAN U Did it!  Very Nicely done!  I like your choice of wood and the whole color scheme!!!  LED's are a nice touch!  Remember mine>!
  • PMG
    Options
    @EggHeadDad - I saw your Flickr pic page!  Man nice setup and great use of your skillz!  For the heat situation inside the cabinet...I purchased some 1/2" Aluminum plates from a local vendor and seems to be working well!  Keeps heat transfer to a minimum!  I had it powder coated matte black!  As far as "Kiln Fabric" or heat fabric I used some from a company call Gladiator Glove works!  Google them!  Their rated up to 1,500 deg F!?
  • PMG
    Options
    Another Pic of my application of the tape fabric!  Man that High Grade Cedar talbe top is dry and I feel it may go up in flames SO I didn't want to take any chances!  Too much TIME and MONEY invested!
  • rmercier
    rmercier Posts: 212
    Options
    Amazing! Kudos and thanks for the great details
    LBGE in Northern VA
  • EggHeadDad
    Options
    @PMG - Thanks for the additional information.  I am watching my box temps but have not really had any concerns to date.  I do like the metal plate idea used as a heat sink.  Thanks.
  • EggHeadDad
    Options
    PMG said:
    @EggHeadDad - MAN U Did it!  Very Nicely done!  I like your choice of wood and the whole color scheme!!!  LED's are a nice touch!  Remember mine>!
    You were part of my inspiration!  Thanks again for all you build photos.
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Very Very nice

Garnerville, NY
  • jollygreenegg
    Options
    Awesome table!  
    MM & XL BGE, Bay Area CA
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    browntw79 said:

As promised, I wanted to share my design thoughts and lessons learned from my table build.  As noted in an earlier post (posted under browntw79), I was inspired to go crazy after seeing the tables of @cazzy and @PMG. I was especially impressed with @PMG’s build pictures. When I decided that I needed to replace my existing table I also decided to document the build for future wood working enthusiast that might be looking to build a BGE table.  Besides a few pages of rough sketches and dimension calculations I had no real plans other than some ideas.  I started with some simple specifications for this project to include:

• Can bear the weight of the concrete pad and the BGE
    • Table height of about 36” (personal preference)
    • Fits under a custom cover I had made for original stand
    • Fits within the deck bump out space (76” wide)
    • Is mobile enough to move around the deck
    • Has 3 to 4 drawers
    • Has an area that could take hot items without damaging the wood

The Frame (aka the Skeleton): I used stock pressure treated 2x4 lumber that I selected for straightness.  The PT lumber was extremely wet when I started with some of the 8 footers weighing close to 20 pounds.  I calculated the height of the BGE shelf with the plan of using a 16x16 inch concrete paver block.  My first revelation was this was quickly getting to be extremely heavy.  I used my Festool Domino 500Q jointer for all the frame joints with 10 x 50mm exterior grade Dominos.  All the joints were glued using Titebond III wood glue.  Even with the wet wood the glue appeared to create a solid bond.  Most of the joints include a long decking screw as well to hold them tight as the glue dried.

Redesign Note:  The largest weight bearing section of the table is the “cube” under the Egg.  If I were to do the design over I would use PT 1x4 for all the framing and only use 2x4 for the BGE shelf cube.

Exterior Wood:  After consulting with my local hardwood supplier (Colonial Hardwood in Springfield, VA) I selected to go with African Sapele that is a member of the mahogany family.  It is very dense weighing about 3.4 pounds per board foot (similar to red oak).  As you can see the featuring in the wood is stunning.  I had the mill shop plane and sand the boards I selected.  Started with a purchase of 100 bf based on some of those scribbled calculations.  I actually was pretty close to being correct.  All the boards were milled down to ¾” thickness.  I did end up going back to Colonial for a couple more pieces for the top and had them milled to 7/8” (which created another problem down stream).

For the Exterior Walls I decided to make 3 1/4” wide wanes coat slats with a V-notched tongue and groove that interlock on the sides and are tacked at the top and bottom with galvanized staples.  The effect of the wanes coating turned out very nice with the v-notch breaking up the visual difference between boards.

The Face Frame was fairly straightforward to assemble after I decided on the dimensions of the pieces.  Because I was covering “the Skeleton” I had to make some of the pieces wider than I would prefer.  I literally sat in front table one night for hours clamping on various sizes of boards to see what worked best.  I decided on making the two outside vertical pieces the same width for symmetry and I eliminated the cross member on “the skeleton’s” right side. 

Note:  I stained the concrete block with some walnut stain to allow it to blend into the cabinet better.

The Drawers:  Once the face frame was completed I knew the opening dimensions so I could work the drawers.  Last December I rebuilt all my drawers in our kitchen using half blind dovetails for the 5/8” maple boxes with a birch bottom.  I repeated this design for this table and used the Blum Tandem concealed full extension sliders with Blumotion (soft close) feature for all the drawers.  The slides are spec’d for up to 100 lbs so holding Eggcessories is no problem.  For the fronts, I had set aside some select pieces for appearance.  The fronts are simply rounded over with a 3/8” round-over bit and drilled for the stainless steel (288mm center-to-center) handles.  I have lined three of the drawer bottoms with a cork sheeting and the fourth with a non-slip kitchen drawer liner.  I will watch the drawers over time for any evidence of water damage.  I’m hoping to keep most water out of the drawer using three methods . . . .

1. Keep it covered with my Sunbrella custom cover (unfortunately my supplier is out of business)
    2. Wide lip on the top (2 ½ inches at the front)
    3. Metal flashing over the left drawer (below the concrete block)

For the Top I wanted two layers to form a 1 ½” top more for visual effects than strength.  At $8.00 bf (milled) I didn’t want to waste Sapele wood on the bottom layer.  I decided to build a frame for the bottom and then fill it in with cheaper poplar.  But I knew I wanted it to appear like two layers of Sapele at the opening for the Egg as well.  This ended up proving to be time consuming and tricky.  In the end wasting $8.00 bf for the center “core” might have been more economical.  On the top layer I needed only to factor in the framed area for the four granite tiles.  Once completed, I cut the circle for the Egg opening (based on calculations).  Next was time for finishing. 

Finish:  I started with sanding everything with 220 grit paper.  Then I applied two coats of Watco Teak Oil finish followed by two coats of marine grade spar vanish.  For the top I applied three coats but was not satisfied with the sheen.  I ended up lightly sanding it with 220 grit sandpaper and then spraying on two additional thin layers of spray vanish.  I am very please with the results.

LED Lighting:  I noticed several members had included various forms of lighting on their Egg.  I selected an outdoor 3528 daylight white LED tape.  I routed in a channel following the contour of the front edge and inserted bright white LED lights tied into a dimmer remote.  This provides great lighting at night to see in the drawers as well as an impressive visual effect at night.

Post Fit Check Modifications:  I dropped my large BGE in on Friday evening and opened it for the first time.  Ouch!  I had interference under the hinge marring that fine finish.  Crap!  Remember when I changed the thickness of the top’s upper layer?  Clearly I didn’t.  I ended up removing the concrete block and shimming it up and reinstalling the entire Egg.  I also was uncomfortable with the Egg opening and decide to cut out an additional ½” of radius.  At 21 ¾” diameter it provides me with ¾” to 1” of an air gap around the Egg.  I have also noticed the casters are hard to get rolling.  I might be switching them out for a set of 2” solid steel casters.

Water Test:  On the 4th of July, during my first smoke, the heavens above my house opened up and poured on my new creation during the smoke.  Surprisingly, there was only minimal water in the left drawer (my son claimed it was because I peaked three times) and none in the right drawers.  Design success?!?!  We will see.

Final Specifications:

Length:  71 ½”

Depth:  33”

Height:  37” 

Weight:  Very Heavy (estimate 400 to 500 lbs)

Power:  

• 120V outlet located inside near top drawer
    • 12V for LED Lighting
    • 5V for Stoker controller

Supplies List (Suppliers):

• 10 – 2” x 4” pressure treated pine (Home Depot)
    • 120 board feet – African Sapele (Colonial Hardwood)
    • 8 board feet – Poplar (Home Depot)
    • 20 board feet – Maple (Home Depot)
    • 4 – 12” x 12” Granite tiles, Ubatuba (Floors & Decors)
    • ¼” Backerboard (Home Depot)
    • Black silicone caulk (Floors & Decors)
    • 12V Flexible LED Strip Lights with power supply & RF dimmer (Amazon)
    • Big Green Egg large table nest
    • Custom Walnut Handle (AMLWoodart.com)
    • Tongue and Groove V-Notch Router Bit set (Amazon)
    • Festool Domino tenons, Sipo Mahogany (Local Woodcraft Store)
    • Polished Stainless Steel Starr “X” bottle opener (Amazon)
    • 6 – 3 inch 150-pound swivel polyurethane plate casters (Amazon)
    • 4 pairs of 21” Blum Tandem with Blumotion 563H sliders (Amazon)
    • 6 - Stainless Steel hooks (GreenBoatStuff.com)
    • 4 - Stainless Steel handles, 288mm center-to-center (CabinetParts.com)
    • 1 quart of Watco Teak Oil Finish (Home Depot)
    • 1 quart of System Three Marine Spar Varnish, Satin (Local Woodcraft Store)

Please check out the photos of all stages of the build on my Flickr page

Enjoy and good luck with any new builds this inspires!  Feel free to post questions or PM me.

Cheers!

Tom

P.S.  I managed to post this under my @browntw79 persona by accident; I meant to post it using my @EggHeadDad account.  Oops!  Too much beer last night perhaps?  

Great looking Table Tom

Ross
  • EggHeadDad
    Options
    Great looking Table Tom

Thanks man!

• CDPlaya
    CDPlaya Posts: 81
    Options
    Awesome. , you need to mass product these, you will get rich quick!
    "One Job at a Time, One Day at a Time" 
    " Stop and smell the Roses " Life is too Short