Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need less smoky Ribs!!

Options
Made ribs for the first time yesterday using Apple wood.  I put about 6 chunks mixed into the Lump (Humphries) and smoked baby backs.  Prob 3 good chunks were in the "red" zone of the coal. 
Wondering how to get less smoky flavor next time. Is it just as easy as cutting down or eliminating wood chunks?
thanks
LBGE. Plate setter, PS Woo2, Flame Boss 200.  Moorestown, South Jersey (about 15 min outside of Philly, Don't hold it against me.  I would most likely rather live where you are)

Comments

• msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    Options
    yes, pretty much, if your issue is simply too much good smoke.

if your issue is there was a bitter smokey taste then your issue is likely an oxygen starved fire.
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Too much wood. Cut back to 2 lg size chunks or don't use any at all. Experiment.  You'll be fine
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • RickyBobby
    RickyBobby Posts: 744
    Options
    1st we need to know what lump you were using to make an educated guess on whether or not the problem is solely the added wood chunks
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • RickyBobby
    Options
    Is Humphries a neutral lump?
  • A31unit
    A31unit Posts: 199
    Options
    Yes. Humphries 
    LBGE. Plate setter, PS Woo2, Flame Boss 200.  Moorestown, South Jersey (about 15 min outside of Philly, Don't hold it against me.  I would most likely rather live where you are)
  • A31unit
    Options
    As far as the Lump goes Humpheries was rated pretty well on Naked Wiz. I am new to all of this so I have nothing to compare it to.  I did wait for the clear blue (actually didn't get ribs on for about an hour after I lit the egg).  Wonder if anybody else has experience with Humpheries being too smoky or more neutral. 

• CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    I originally had the same problem and discovered that I needed WAY less word...maybe 2 - 3 medium chunks. The natural lump charcoal adds some smoke anyway.
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • A31unit
    Options
    Are there any common brand charcoals that add less smoke?
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Apple is a very aggressive smoke profile. Try pecan and less of it. Use chips in lieu of chunks for a shorter smoke window. The chips will burn up faster. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Many on this forum, me included like Rockwood for its neutral profile.  Check out TheNakedWhiz website for a complete evaluation on lump charcoals. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    I used a couple bags of Humphrey lump last fall. It didn't work well for me. Reminded me of Royal Oak/BGE lump
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    The culprit is "6 chunks of apple wood".  Scale back on the wood.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • A31unit
    Options
    @XC242 what was it about the Humphrey's you didn't like?
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    @A31unit The bags I had put out a pretty noticeable creosote type taste. There were a good number of pieces that didn't seem to be fully carbonized and didn't have that light "tink" sound when knocked together. I saw the Naked Whiz review and was really surprised with what I got. It might just have been a bad run for them. I'd be willing to try it again. One of our local BGE dealers had it in stock at the end of last season so I decided to try a couple bags. 
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • A31unit
    Options
    Thanks. I think in gonna give the Rockwood a shot
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I've never in my LIFE had ribs that were too smoky for me -- I love smoky ribs! :)  But yeah, I don't think I've ever put 6 chunks in one cook.  I usually put in 4 or 5, and I'm happy!  Some lump is smokier than others, as others have said.  Maybe try 2 or three chunks next time and see what you think.  Or even none, just to get a baseline without any added wood chunks.  Adjust till it's exactly the way YOU love them.  (And send the ones that are WAY too smoky to me, OK?  :))
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    XC242 said:
    I used a couple bags of Humphrey lump last fall. It didn't work well for me. Reminded me of Royal Oak/BGE lump
    Royal Oak lump works great for me. No issues at all.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • pgprescott
    Options
    I would think any lump would be fine for low and slow cooks. There's a difference between the intensity of different lump brands Rockwood is very neutral allowing you to only add smoke flavor in the intensity desired WGWW is not quite as mild but also milder than most. The burn times and ease of lighting also vary. Different strokes for different folks. 
  • YYZegger
    YYZegger Posts: 231
    Options
    Try Cherry Wood, it is much milder than apple, I have had very good luck with it.
    Toronto, Canada  LBGE
  • RickyBobby
    Options
    I would think any lump would be fine for low and slow cooks. 
    Sorry, but I couldn't disagree more! I think choice of lump has a huge effect on cooks ... especially low & slows. What I prefer for smoke flavor may be totally different than the next guy though ... so is there really a right or wrong?

.... Pecan is your friend for Rib cooks and nothing else IMO!
  • pgprescott
    Options
    I would think any lump would be fine for low and slow cooks. 
    Sorry, but I couldn't disagree more! I think choice of lump has a huge effect on cooks ... especially low & slows. What I prefer for smoke flavor may be totally different than the next guy though ... so is there really a right or wrong?

.... Pecan is your friend for Rib cooks and nothing else IMO!
    Note my last words of the above post. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    edited August 2015
    Options
    No worries with your lump.  Especially with ribs. You might pick up a smoke flavor with poultry but not so much with ribs, pulled pork, brisket, etc. The culprit is your 6 chunks of apple wood. I'd go 4 fist size chunks max.  I'd start with 2 and work your way up. Where are you placing the chunks? Are they buried below the lump? Make sure the chunks get buried in the lump so your meat isn't getting heavy constant smoke with it sitting on top. You want the smoke to work it's way through the lump so the the smoke doesn't over power the meat. I'd stick with the lump your using for now. 95% of the smoke you tasted was you apple chunks. The other 5% was your lump. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    A31unit said:
    Thanks. I think in gonna give the Rockwood a shot
    I'm not being rude here, but I don't care what you use, if you put that much wood as you stated (6 chunks), you'll have too much smoke.  I'll put 3-4 pieces of wood in with my Q with Rockwood, depending on the piece of meat.  With ribs, you don't have a lot of surface as like a butt, brisket, etc.   I'd say 2 pieces for ribs for me personally.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • A31unit
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses. I guess I will stick with the Humphery's and maybe use just a couple chunks of pecan or cherry instead of the apple!
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    A31unit said:
    Thanks for all the responses. I guess I will stick with the Humphery's and maybe use just a couple chunks of pecan or cherry instead of the apple!
    Apple is not to strong if correct amount is used for YOUR taste.
    6 chunks of Pecan or Cherry would have given you the same strong smoke taste. Apple is a great wood and can be used for anything, even cheese.
    Cherry is one of my favs because of the darker color it gives the food.
    I like to add a chunk of each for most of my cooks. Apple and Cherry is a good combo.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    Honestly believe most people that have a too smoky flavour don't give the charcoal enough time to be burning cleanly.  Put your hand over the vent and see if it has a pleasant smoky smell or if it is acrid and chemical like, if it is pleasant the fire is ready to cook.

Gerhard

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Theophan said:
    I've never in my LIFE had ribs that were too smoky for me -- I love smoky ribs! :)

(And send the ones that are WAY too smoky to me, OK?  :))
    Just curious and I don't mean anything by this question, but are you a smoker?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    RRP said:
    Theophan said:
    I've never in my LIFE had ribs that were too smoky for me -- I love smoky ribs! :)

(And send the ones that are WAY too smoky to me, OK?  :))
    Just curious and I don't mean anything by this question, but are you a smoker?
    Nope!  I tried cigarettes back in the '60s, hoping I'd look cooler, but I didn't, and I never inhaled.  I loved smoking a pipe for a few years, and a cigar, once in a while, but never inhaled and that was many years ago, nearly 20 years.

I think the reason I love smoky BBQ so much is that the first real BBQ I ever had was in my first and so far only trip to Texas.  To me, growing up in Michigan in the '50s and '60s, "barbecue" either meant grilling or something along the lines of sloppy joes.  When I went to Texas, and tasted real Texas barbecue, I thought I'd died and gone to heaven!  And especially since I'd never tasted real barbecue of ANY kind, it seemed incredibly smoky to me.

But then I moved to Virginia back in the '80s, and had my first taste of what they called "Carolina style BBQ," and people were just raving about how wonderful it was, but it almost tasted like it could have been pot-roasted indoors to me.  It just wasn't very smoky.

I love a spatchcock chicken with no wood chips at all, and it's plenty smoky for me just from the BGE lump I use.  I don't usually want fish very smoky.  But ribs, yeah, I want them smoky.  And pork butt, and brisket.  I think I put on 4 chunks of hickory with my last pork butt, and I thought it was wonderful!
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I like smoke!  It's why we own smokers!!  Good smoke comes from a mature fire and the quantity and variety of smoke wood properly arranged in your lump.  Apple for bacon, pecan for anything!  Hickory for heavier smoke.  Love smoked meats!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • sctdg
    sctdg Posts: 301
    Options
    Best smoke is the thin blue smoke .As others have said maybe two chunks of wood is all you need .Let that white billowing smoke you get in the beginning calm down to where you hardly see any signs of smoke .Remember when you first start your fire you are getting large doses of smoke up your nose which kind of dulls your senses and when you are not seeing hardly any smoke coming out vent in reality there is a whole lot going on inside in the way of the cook absorbing smoke flavor .Because you can't see it and can't smell it ,due to your dulled senses, means nothing .  There really is a lot going on inside .