Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First pizza and just a couple questions.

Car Wash Mike
Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Trying my first pizza this week. Just a simple dough recipe, my spagetti sauce recipe, italian sausage, pepperoni, and lots of cheese. Am I supposed to preheat the pizza setter? My plan is to light BGE get up to 500 then cook pizza per Gfw. How long should I place pizza setter in BGE before adding pizza? Any fire bricks?
Salmon filets on sale this week in town, be prepared for more novice questions on this.[p]CWM

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Car Wash Mike,[p]I always use a pizza stone on top of the setter and heat both entirely up to cooking temp (when you need to limit the airflow through your Egg, the stones are almost hot enough). The setter then insulates the pizza stone from the direct heat of the fire, resulting in a nice even stone temp.[p]With a setter/pizza stone, no firebricks are needed.[p]The cook can be quick. I would suggest several personal sized pies instead of a single larger one. The smaller ones are easier to handle and will provide several cooks to get used to making Egg pizza.[p]Spin

• Car Wash Mike, me thinks Spin was too modest...in the future plan to make a batch of his famous sauce and you'll never go back to anything else. I did a triple batch last weekend while I could still get fresh Roma tomatoes, vadilla onions and fresh basil. It freezes well. Plan on 1/2 cup per 12" pizza and freeze individually of course. BTW it's pizza night for us too! ^oo^~

• Car Wash Mike,[p]I have a BGE and a Weber. I find that if I put my pizza stone on the Weber, and preheat it full blast for 30 minutes or so, I can make a great pizza, crust is great, etc.[p]I have not had much luck with pizza on the BGE, which, IMHO, is best for low and slow cookin