Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What pushed you over the edge ....

Options
13»

Comments

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    For me it was a culmination of research. I like many others had owned kettles and crappy gassers. Unless I was just cooking simple items like burgers thighs and dogs I quickly became frustrated. When the last kettle quit I simple refused to buy another unit until I had explored all options. I didn't want to cook on gas, but I refused to cook on a kettle. I simply wasn't going to work that hard to maintain temps. I found the BBQ brethren guys and built a UDS. It would do everything they say about a UDS. It maintained temps and would cook forever on a load of lump. But I had trouble with high heat cooks. And my wife was not very thrilled with it on the patio.  I saw the egg at my local dealer who also specializes in all kinds of high end gas grills, which is why I walked in the door. I explained what I wanted to do and he never even talked about gas, all he talked about were these weird looking green things. I thought he was full of crap, it looked like some kind of funky grill for rich folks who never cook and nobody has ever seen. So I snooped around and found this sight and lurked. And decided either you people were either trying to rationalize your decision for spending an obscene amount of money on something that was a fad or they really did work as advertized. So I went back to the dealer on a demo day and cooked on it. I did a side by side comparison of both gas and an egg. Game over. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    18 or so year old gasser was finally dead and SWMBO said OK.  Wanted one ever since I bought the gasser 20 or so years ago.  I had a WSM and the egg seemed to be able to do about everything.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • TFols
    TFols Posts: 241
    Options
    I was about to upgrade to a larger Weber kettle and ended up doing research on the egg and decided I had to have it. Drove past a dealer that was going out of business and pulled the trigger on an XL.
    Bloomfield, NJ
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    ... I was convinvced after my dad's first butt was as good as my Weber Smokey Mountain butts.

1st try and he matched my best.  
    What really drove me over the edge was my son's insinuation that a great butt was courtesy of the egg and not my cooking talents.

During the early 70's, the missus and I had a Japanese Hibachi/Kamado cooker similar to what Ed Fisher started with.  Our unit came courtesy of a C5 pilot who brought it back from Japan.  About every other house on base had one. All we knew how to do was cook steaks on them ... steaks out of the commissary were cheap back then.  When we moved back to the UP for a couple of years, it went with us.  Unfortunately is didn't survive the second winter up there. It was made of clay, got wet, then froze, and then bottom fell out of it when the spring thaw occurred.

So, we went through a number of charcoal and gas units while the kids sucked all of the money out of the household.  The last gasser was a cast aluminum model from Great Outdoors that has been rebuilt a number of times.  It was warrantied for about 40 years ... or it was until the company went out of business that is.

When our local market started carrying eggs about five years ago, the missus started dropping hints that she'd like one for cooking steaks.  For our 45th anniversary, the hints turned to threats.  Thus, I bought the egg just so she could relive the 1970's.  Turns out, as you well know, that one can cook a few more things than steaks on it. 

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Our 1st was a 15 yr anniversary gift from my Mother to my wife and I. Second one (MM) we bought because I figured it could be our egg on the road and for when I needed extra space for larger cooks or multiple temps (& just because :wink: ). 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    I was came across a list of things online  that were "a little more expensive, but worth every penny".  

As a man of limited financial resources, I started slow.  First, it was the nicer olive oil or better windshield wipers. Then I gave my fiancé, then girlfriend, a set of high thread count sheets and we bought a high end vacuum cleaner.  

With very few exceptions, we were agreeing everything we had tried so far was worth a couple extra bucks.  One that I just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger on was a $1000 grill. But I got a bonus at work and decided to make it happen.  I've never been happier with a purchase.
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I had read about the Egg on a few sources, and was interested.
    For my 70th birthday, my spouse asked me if I wanted a BGE as a gift.
    Could I say no? 
    Naaahh!    
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • ElkhornHusker
    Options
    I have wanted an egg for at least 15 years but never wanted to spend the money.  So I purchased the knock-offs, cheap gas smokers but was never satisfied with the results and always to more with one unit.  After moving to NE from CO I was going to buy another "egg" knock-off and after reading more about that one I figured out it was steel not ceramic.  Finally the wife just said buy the egg and get it over with.  The versatility is what sold me on the egg, the price always scared me away, until this summer.  Very happy I took the plunge.
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    @WeberWho?, Outstanding!!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    December 1998, it was time for the semi-annual gasser rebuild. A guy I worked with had bought an egg and every Monday morning for about the past six months, all we heard about was the BGE and his cooks. Found a local dealer and got a great deal. Haven't looked back since.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    Loved my Weber Smokey Mountain but it just didn't perform that well on some of the harsher Wisconsin winter days/nights.  I do a lot cold weather cooking so the egg was my solution.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    BYS1981 said:
    @TigerTony just won the thread.
    Hands down. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • JonWesson
    Options
    bump
    large small and mini all in legal proceedings but i can use them for now no more, all gone                                                                                                                        usa somewhere on the road
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Tom Hanks Forrest Gump GIF - TomHanks ForrestGump Wave - Discover
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    😳