Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Rib Smoke! Wish me Luck!

Options
A31unit
A31unit Posts: 199
edited August 2015 in EggHead Forum
Well here goes!  No pressure. My family is coming over for dinner!  lol.  Based on all the knowledge I have obtained here what could go wrong!
Anyway. It's Car wash mike's instruction. I'm following it pretty much right on.  3 racks of baby backs from Costco, 3 meat church rubs, and Carolina sweet BBQ sauce form sticky fingers.  I am doing each rack in a different rub and sauce only on half of each rack.
got em on at 225. In my second hour.  At the end of the first hour I noticed lack of really any smoke from the stack. Thankfully when I opened to mist the ribs I was able to lift the whole works out with my PSwoo2 and get a couple chunks of apple wood where they were actually doing something!  I will keep everybody posted. I told myself I wasn't gonna start the beer till the 3 rd hour but I'm getting antsy.

LBGE. Plate setter, PS Woo2, Flame Boss 200.  Moorestown, South Jersey (about 15 min outside of Philly, Don't hold it against me.  I would most likely rather live where you are)

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    You're off to a great start.  Good luck the rest of the way.  There are other hydrating beverages you can drink in the meantime - but I find that beer helps me coordinate the timing ... Check the ribs after the 2nd beer and every beer thereafter.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• A31unit
    Options
    Good idea!  Hey. I'm 50 min into my 2nd hour and the same thing happened. No smoke. Completely clear out of the stack. Is this normal or should I have to adjust the lump and throw in a few new hunks of fruitwood every hour??
    LBGE. Plate setter, PS Woo2, Flame Boss 200.  Moorestown, South Jersey (about 15 min outside of Philly, Don't hold it against me.  I would most likely rather live where you are)
  • swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    Options
    Car Wash Mike made me  Rib Hero at my house.. 
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    A31unit said:
     Is this normal or should I have to adjust the lump and throw in a few new hunks of fruitwood every hour??
    Calm down - life (and your ribs) are good. Sit down with a loved one, have a beverage and simply wait on the goodness. I'm new and I had to adjust to less smoke. Trust me, the ribs will rock. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Foghorn
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    A31unit said:
     Is this normal or should I have to adjust the lump and throw in a few new hunks of fruitwood every hour??
    Calm down - life (and your ribs) are good. Sit down with a loved one, have a beverage and simply wait on the goodness. I'm new and I had to adjust to less smoke. Trust me, the ribs will rock. 

+1.  At this point, they are likely not taking on any more smoke anyway.  I suspect they will be plenty smoky for everybody except maybe you because you've been in the smoke all day.  If you have leftovers, take time to notice the smokiness when they are served later and you haven't been breathing in smoke for 5+ hours.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• A31unit
    edited August 2015
    Options
    The ribs turned out Awsome!!!  4 and a half hours pulled them. Sauced them and gave em another 20-30!  Really good.  Thanks Car Wash Mike!   How do y'all think I did?
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Looks mighty fine to me.  I'm cooking some next weekend that I hope end up as good as yours.

San Antonio, TX

• A31unit
    Options
    Not sure if I will ever be able to eat at Famous Dave's again. Hahaha!
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    They look good to me. Next time you'll be able to relax a little more, huh?
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • A31unit
    Options
    Yessir
  • AD18
    AD18 Posts: 209
    Options
    End results look excellent to say the least!!!  Smoke on an Egg is hard to "control" as the fire tends to wander around in the charcoal.  It is especially hard if you use chunks.  I was told that the meat won't take on much more smoke flavour after the first 1-2 hours, so don't sweat it in the future, and remember "if your lookin', you ain't cookin".  Great job!!!
    Large BGE, Weber 22.5 kettle, Weber Genesis
    Cobourg, Ontario
  • rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    Options
    Good Job!
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia