Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cleaning your grill/grate - looking for advice

Options
How do y'all get burned bbq sauce off of your grate? That cooked on sugar is always a pain. I usually use a wire brush and then clean with warm soap and water - it works. I'm just fishing for a better plan; I figure there are smarter folks than me here when it comes to cooking. I used to not worry about it on other grills, but since I cook a variety of things on the egg I really want to keep things clean. 
Coleman, Texas
Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
"Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                      YukonRon

Comments

• swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    Options
    Wadded alum foil does pretty well.. Personally, I soak my AR grids then scrub with a scotch brite?  pad and it shines right up...
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    I scrape it off with a piece of wood, soak it with dish washing soap in the laundry room, and then use a scotch-brite scrubber.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    swordsmn said:
    Personally, I soak my AR grids then scrub with a scotch brite?
    Where do you soak them? My large grate doesn't fit in the sink. If it seems a dumb question I apologize. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options
    I just do a direct at 350.  I use a weed puller to stir lump and or foes a great job scraping crud from grill.   Let heat do its job 
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Boom! Nice - see, I'm glad I asked. @RRP Thanks!
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Got a large or smaller egg, then another option is a plastic barrel.  I bought a food grade barrel for $10 and cut off the bottom third.  That's deep enough to hold the AR unit and an assortment of grids.  Between cleanings, I store bags of smoke wood in it.

Got a friend who wants one?  Then buy one with the plugs in the top ... cut the middle third out and you and your friend have one for $5 apiece.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    RRP:
    What a crack-up (but great) suggestion.    I'm off tomorrow afternoon on just such a search.
  • LetsEat
    LetsEat Posts: 458
    Options
    After a quick scrape to remove any large chunks, I put everything in my Bosch dishwasher on "powerscrub"!  Everything comes out shiny and clean with no effort on my part.
    IL 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    Begger said:
    RRP:
    What a crack-up (but great) suggestion.    I'm off tomorrow afternoon on just such a search.
    A word of caution - if you can buy one that has the handle spot welded. If you can't then most likely what you will find will have holes where the handle was punched through. Just remove the floppy handle carefully and fill them with silicone. One other warning - don't use Easy Off oven cleaner on a galvanized lid either! Don't ask why I know that! :s
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    you shouldn't have to clean a grate with soap and water.  at least, maybe lazy types like me i mean.

after a cook, when it is still hot, hit it with the grill brush. 

if you skipped that after the last cook (who wants to fut with the grill when the food is ready?), then just let it heat up and clean it with the grill brush before you throw the food on the next time.

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I mostly agree with Darby except I stopped using a brush for safety concerns.  I scrape the grid with a mason's trowel close the dome and open the vents a bit if I was cooking L&S.  Let the egg clean itself.  After supper, I shut it down.  

If there isn't much of a mess, I'll scrape the grid then open the vents while the meat is resting.  Then shut it down before supper.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    if you skipped that after the last cook (who wants to fut with the grill when the food is ready?), then just let it heat up and clean it with the grill brush before you throw the food on the next time.
    I mostly agree with Darby except I stopped using a brush for safety concerns.
    I always forget right after a cook, so when it's hot on the next cook, I use a wire brush, but then finish with a nylon mesh scraper, hoping that'll get rid of any metal pieces from the brush.  It doesn't make it "like new" clean, but it always seems clean enough to me.
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    RRP said:

... One other warning - don't use Easy Off oven cleaner on a galvanized lid either! Don't ask why I know that! :s
    That's one other advantage of the plastic barrel ... no problem with using Easy Off.

• DaveRichardson
    Options
    @rrp - didn't you also do the easy-off oven cleaner on the garbage bag trick before???  I know I've seen that before!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Get it hot and knock off what you can with a wire brush. Anything else on there was meant to remain IMO
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    You're supposed to clean them!?
    News to me too! :rofl: 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Cleaning them is a myth.

NOLA
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Unless you are taking pics for a photoshoot, I'm in complete agreement....  Clean grates are a sign of an underused cooker!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I knock the big stuff off and go for it.  Haven't had any issues so far.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Heat is your friend. Direct heat will help remove a lot of the crustys. I also use a wooden grid scraper on both my LG and MM. I no longer even own a wire brush except for welding projects :wink: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    What the dog doesn't lick off as it hangs on the side of the table, the heat gets... =)
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    Pathetic I tell you, simply pathetic.

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Glad I'm not the only minimalist.  Just minimal scraping with tool or Al foil. No more wire brushes!  
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    What?!  We're supposed to clean these greasy things?
    I just knock off the big clumps.

FWIW, I have the CI Grate and momma taught me never to use soap on CI
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    I like my grill grates like my women.....
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    RRP said:
    SciAggie said:
    swordsmn said:
    Personally, I soak my AR grids then scrub with a scotch brite?
    Where do you soak them? My large grate doesn't fit in the sink. If it seems a dumb question I apologize. 
    Not a dumb question at all!!! To keep SWMBO happy rather than to scratch up the expensive sink just go buy yourself an inexpensive replacement metal garbage can lid. Don't bother trying to buy one at a big box store, but go to an owner owned mom & pop hardware store. I have never paid more than $5 and have bought and given several as gifts! Turned upside down they make great, shallow soaking/washing vessels. Then whatever soap you use is up to you, but this Dawn has little "creatures that eat like" your 15 year old teenage son all night which makes scrubbing in the morning a breeze!

The upside down garbage can lid is a great idea.  I might have to look into that for the grills from my electric vertical water smoker.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Jeepster47
    Options
    grege345 said:
    I like my grill grates like my women.....
    @grege345 ... lumpy?

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    @grege345' smokin hot?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga