Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baffled by Brisket

Options
I did a 6 lb. brisket yesterday. Probably the 5th or 6th one I have cooked. My cooking times are so unreliable. Here is what happened yesterday, temp on the egg was always around 225.

9am - 38 degrees (out of the fridge where I had marinated it overnight)
11:15am - 129 degrees
1:15pm - 143 degrees
so at this point I thought I was safe and went out to do a little shopping. Got home at 5:30 pm and temp was 142! It actually went down a degree! Guests arriving at 6pm so I cranked up the heat to 350 and it finally came to 190 about 2.5 hours later at 8 p.m.

Brisket tasted fabulous so I'm not complaining about the flavor, I just don't understand these really long stall times. And I can't figure out the timing and planning if you want to serve a brisket at dinner. Do you start cooking the night before in case you have these really long stalls? Eventually I would like to do a brisket for the whole time at 225 and not have to crank up the heat at the end.

Any advice much appreciated!

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    When you say you had a 6 pound brisket was it a big flat or a really small packer? Brisket is probably the most finicky cook that there is and there really isn't a temp or time regulation that can be a guideline. All I can say is more practice.  Each piece of meat determines the cook, not the time it is allowed. Especially large chunks. 

Once you know what is typical for the meat that you are easily able to get, you can more easily time your cooks for serving company. Foil, towel, cooler is your friend. You can put a butt or brisket wrapped up in a cooler for at least 3-6 hours to hold until serving time. 

I'm sure others that know more then me can offer more suggestions but that is a start. Best of luck. And don't hesitate to ask more questions. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • ShesGotEggs
    ShesGotEggs Posts: 103
    Options
    Thanks @Scottborasjr it was a big flat. I am glad to hear you say they are finicky. I guess I have to start the night before and then wrap in foil and put in the cooler to hold. It is too stressful having hungry people stare at the egg.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    The chunk of meat determines the serving time everytime. I've had small pork butts take longer then massive 12 pounders. It is really trial and error with what you have access to until you realize what works. 

Like I said don't hesitate to come here and ask questions. We are a strange bunch but most of us are well meaning. I would not hesitate to give you my phone number to help out if the situation calls for it and others will do the same. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    I agree with@cazzy go 275 dome temp which is about 250 grid temp. Next time if you need to speed up the cook you can also foil it to help thru the stall.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Brisket has been my nemesis. I would call myself a better than average pitmaster with everything other than brisket. With brisket I am average at best. My last one was a full packer and it took less than an hour a pound and never hit a stall. It was actually Overcooked too. Keep trying and you will get better but yes they are difficult little boogers
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    FWIW, your marinade might have made the stall even longer. Another thought, are your thermometers calibrated?  I don't normally stall until 165 or so. To speed things up, in a pinch, you could foil it.  I have done it with no ill effects.
    Cooking at 250-275 will make a big difference.

As for overnight, no need in my opinion.  I have started a 14 lb packer in the morning, and pulled it to FTC before 5.  Once the IT is up to about 150, I raise the temp to 300 or so.  Again, no ill effects that I have experienced.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    I agree with the above.....260-280 dome temp for my briskets. Results are always fabulous and times are more predictable. 

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• ShesGotEggs
    ShesGotEggs Posts: 103
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone! I really appreciate all the advice and will raise my temp next time and see how it goes.  
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Every piece of meat will vary. You can do as suggested and raise temps without fear and you can wrap to blow through the stall if needed. Always tricky to try and time out a LS cook. Sounds like the results were worth the wait. As Boros said plan it to be done ahead and let it rest. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    I had a seven hour stall recently. Patience is a virtue with brisket. 
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    I have made a couple of changes with my brisket cooks that seem to help. First, I've been letting them age for 3-4 weeks in the fridge. Second, I've started to wrap them in butcher paper when they hit an internal temperature of about 160. 

I let the last one cook to 205 by mistake and it was the best brisket to date. I also agree with cooking at a dome temp of 275. 

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Rebhanmh
    Rebhanmh Posts: 79
    Options
    A lot of great info in here. Typically I will start at 200-225 to let the beginning stage allow the meat to soak up as much smoke as possible. Once the stall hits your best bet is to wrap (if that's your preference) or bump the temperature a little if you want to stick to a time schedule. Timing is rough because in the end smoking is always a questionable process. Each cook and piece of meat is different so you just have to adapt to the cook as it continues. I typically shoot for 3-4 hours early of my even then FTC until 30 min prior and take it out before I cut or prepare the meat to eat.
    LBGE
    Atoka, TN
  • sctdg
    sctdg Posts: 301
    Options
    To me cooking low and slow is a real crap shoot as to when it is going to be ready .My experience comes down to, the cook is ready when it feels like .You could do little tricks to hurry things along but I think most of us own coolers for a reason and it is not necessarily for our adult beverages .  
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Cooked a 1/2 of brisket last week and the other half today. Both were cooked at 280-290* dome temperature. The thicker end last week to 10 hours and the flat this week to 8 hours. 225* is going to take forever. I can't get my small egg that low in the summer. I have the bottom vent cracked at a 1/8" and the daisy wheel all but closed up and I'm at 280*. Once the ceramic warms up it does not take much heat to keep up the temperature; especially on a hot, sunny, summer day.
  • bill37
    bill37 Posts: 127
    Options
    All the previous advice is correct. I would  plan on 2 hours a pound and if it finishes earlier you can wrap in foil and towels and place in a cooler.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited August 2015
    Options
    While 225 is cliche, there is a time to cook at it. Tossing it on before you go to bed at 225 (with a controller) will give you peace of mind that you won't wake up to an overcooked brisket (usually).  Wake up, then bump up to 250-275 grid and you're good to go.

As @Rebhanmh mentioned, you can prolong the initial cook to get more smoke.  When I prolong the early stage, i'm actually focusing on a smoke ring.  The majority of your smoke flavor is absorbed into the bark, so you still can achieve a great smoke flavor cooking hotter.  Cooking hotter means you have a cleaner fire and will have a better smoke profile.  

Don't mind me while I ramble and confuse you more.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    I honestly don't have much experience at the lowest temps.  
    BUT, I must say my XL seems to LIKE 250 dome to 275 or so.  I don't know if I could reliably get a lower temp without risking a flame-out.

• Rebhanmh
    Rebhanmh Posts: 79
    Options
    Begger said:
    I honestly don't have much experience at the lowest temps.  
    BUT, I must say my XL seems to LIKE 250 dome to 275 or so.  I don't know if I could reliably get a lower temp without risking a flame-out.

As long as you have a well structured fire you don't have to worry about it burning out over time unless it runs over 12+ hours and the inside holes get clogged.
    LBGE
    Atoka, TN
  • ShesGotEggs
    Options
    @cazzy I followed your advice and my last two briskets have turned out great. I put it on at 225 when I go to bed (around 8-9 pm, don't make fun of me) and then check it first thing when I wake up. Temp is usually at 140 at that point and I bump up the BGE to 250-275 and have it at 190 a few hours later. Then I let it rest in the cooler wrapped in towels until we're ready to serve. Thank you all!
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    @ShesGotEggs, my wife and I won't laugh at you for going to bed early.  My saying is, "at my age (55) it takes me 10 hours to get 8 hours of sleep."   So in order to get up at 6 or 7am, well you know the math. 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • ShesGotEggs
    Options
    @JethroVAI am glad you understand!