Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Second cook, lessons learned from cook 1

Options
rmercier
rmercier Posts: 212
edited August 2015 in EggHead Forum
so, this time I took the el electric starter out when I felt decent heat, not waiting to see flames. Closed the top and shut top vent and bottom vent way down...hit my target temp of 400 perfectly....now I need to get the low and slow temps mastered....won't be doing that until about the beginning of September though. The dog is anxious for those chicken thighs

LBGE in Northern VA

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    Good for the hot&fast as hitting that target is an acquired skill.  But IMHO the BGE shines with the low&slow cooks.  Do the front end work and then "fire and forget".  I would offer that you try to find a time-frame where you can go with the L&S before Sept.  Pork butt is about the most forgiving cook and offers quite a range of cook temps to "get it home".  
    Just an opinion and we all know what those are worth...regardless, enjoy your BGE and this forum...there are many here willing to offer insights with any cook and sometimes way beyond that parameter.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Sookie
    Sookie Posts: 335
    Options

It took me about a year to feel comfortable that I wasn't going to screw something up.  Cooking to temperature is my best advice, pure and simple.  Have fun and get creative.