Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What pushed you over the edge ....

Options

Comments

• abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    I was vacationing at a friends house and cooked on their BGE for a week. The family loved everything that I made (it was simple stuff, burgers, dogs, chicken) and I had a great time making it. 2 weeks later my wonderful wife bought me an XL. A local grocery store/garden center had just become a dealer & she got a great deal! That was three years ago and I am still having a great time with my BGE. 

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    My first cousin who is about 12 years older than me is a true red-neck bbq master. He uses an old water heater he converted into a smoker. After he catered another cousin's wedding in the mid 90's I started bbqing everything with his advice. I had a weber kettle and loved it. My cousin said that if he ever had the money he'd buy a BGE. Fast forward to 2014 and SWMBO and I decided to add a screened porch and a large deck. When the contractors quote came in about $3K under what we had saved I asked if he could add an outdoor kitchen for about $3K. He said "yep". Then, after pricing built in gassers I remembered what my cousin had said years earlier. I drove to BGE HQ and left with a LBGE. Now I also have a MM. We literally use one of them 6 nights a week. Totally changed our eating lives for sure.
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Found an ad in the newspaper classifieds, Large Big Green Egg with table for $350.  That led me to Greeneggers.  If it weren't for the deal, I wouldn't be here. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Focker said:
    Found an ad in the newspaper classifieds, Large Big Green Egg with table for $350.  That led me to Greeneggers.  If it weren't for the deal, I wouldn't be here. 
    Brandon, I honestly believe I vaguely remember responding to you over there! If not to your first post then to a subsequent one way back when you posted as paintmanpook! See - I remember! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Saw a demo at a local county fair 10 years ago. Always wanted one after that, finally made the leap last February, sure glad I did!!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    RRP said:
    Focker said:
    Brandon, I honestly believe I vaguely remember responding to you over there! If not to your first post then to a subsequent one way back when you posted as paintmanpook! See - I remember! 

LOL, took a while to dig this up.
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/571420/#Comment_571420
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• lograt2
    lograt2 Posts: 6
    Options
    After my gasser bit the dust, I shopped it hard for a couple of months. Knew I wanted a combination grill/smoker and the XL egg just fit my needs the best. After going without electricity a few times after hurricanes, the low fuel consumption was a plus as well. You can burn up a lot of wood in an 8-day outage. Now I can make it 8 days on 1 bag of lump.
    Reformed Gasser
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    My gasser was dieing and I wanted a good grill that could smoke as well.  Thought I wanted a treager until I read about this. Then began researching both. Sooo glad I went this route. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    @TigerTony just won the thread.
  • Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Options
    My boss acquired a demo egg and made us a brisket for a work dinner, I was blown away and found myself a new hobby that night!  I started to cook with the guys at our local BGE dealership and a little over a year later, my wife bought me a large for my birthday.  Since then my Egg family has grown and so has my passion for cooking and sharing the benefits of the Big Green Egg.
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Options
    I wanted something I could use during the cold New England winters. The Weber kettle wasn't cutting it. 
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I hope that my response does not come across as vain, but it was curiosity that got the best of me. I have had the good fortune of cooking from a very young age. As such, I have cooked on just about everything out there. Heck I own just about one of everything out there. With that said, you reach a point that you almost become bored with what you have in your arsenal. I had never used a kamado or ceramic style cooker of any kind. Just wanted to try it to compare it to my other grills and smokers. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    My brother has two. He said I needed to get one for my daughter and son in law (just married). I decided I was not going to buy them an egg before I got one. They are still without.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • ChrisgrillsSTLMO
    Options
    We have some friends who have one and made us some steaks that were out of this world. It was the first time I had seen one in the field and our friends told stories of the great food they had made/enjoyed on their Egg. I filed that information away and 3 years later when I redid our outdoor patio my lovely wife said that my reward/birthday gift/xmas gift could be an Egg and table. Been loving it every since.
    Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • Sookie
    Sookie Posts: 335
    Options
    No lie, I was gaming on World of Warcraft.  (Don't judge)  I made several long term friends on there, just like some folks have here.  During a late night discussion about yes, BBQ, one of the guys I played with that lives over 1000 miles away told me about the egg and how fantastic it is.  I did research.  I made to move.  I have never looked back.  "Keep it real!"
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
    The company owner bought one of our bosses an egg as a gift.  About a year later, he finally convinced my to break down and buy one, now I have three.  Its amazing how we all sell them.  I have three friends that now own them because of me and the fourth is ready to buy his.

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    I was spending entirely too much money at a bbq joint. I said to myself I can make these at home. Used YouTube to see what people were using and I saw an egg. Bought one a day later. 
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    Options
    Funny story...we have a cabin in Blue Ridge, Ga. and had a gas grill and vertical smoker on the deck, each with a cover. We would come up from Florida every 6 weeks or so. Everytime we got there in cold weather and opened the grill, there were mouse nests inside oftentimes with live baby mice. They would build their nests using material from the covers. We would have to take out the nests and unfortunatly kill the babies. Didn't make me or SWMBO very happy. Out one day shopping, came across a store in Ellijay, Ga that sold BGE. Perfect! completely sealed shut when not used and could take in and out when gone. Bought a LBGE on a nest and had it delivered. Heard the food off the egg was the best, and it was! Didn't take long before I bought a LBGE for Florida despite having a very high end gas grill that now serves as a workbench unless necessary to use for cooking! That was 5 years ago. Now on the egg 5-6 nights a week whether in Ga. or Fla.
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    I was happy with what I was producing from an electric smoker and a weber gas grill...but I wanted to start using charcoal to take it up a notch...I hate buying stuff that goes to crap in a few years so the BGE warranty attracted me...we were out looking one day (and to be honest I think SWMBO was tired of the research trips) when my wife threatened to buy it if I didn't...well that was about 2 years ago and I couldn't be more happy with it.
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • victor1
    victor1 Posts: 225
    Options
    I've wanted an egg for quite a while and last year my wife said she wanted to buy me one and "don't argue about it"  We decided on a medium but the dealer suggested a large instead.  Great advice. I don't use it as much as I'd like, but would never want to be without it.  I've had excellent luck with it and the pizza alone is worth having one.  Worth every cent.
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    I spent DECADES, starting with as many as 6 Hibichis at once and graduated to WEber Smokey Joe and later, when the big one was 40$, one of THOSE.   I wore that one out and just sold my 2nd Weber which was 15 years old at least.  

BGE seemed a NATURAL progression to take cooking to 'the next level'.   

I could NEVER have done Pizza in my Weber and even the lowly Hot Dog is better and can be cooked direct OR indirect.    
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    SWMBO wanted one and bought it for herself as a self-reward after she got another degree.  I'm like - yeah, I can deal with this.   Anyway, three plus years and another two kamados later and she's never once used it, but it's integral to our cooking tool set.
    Options
    My wife (Greatest Woman Alive) bought it for me as the last gift she could ever buy me with her own money as she was quitting work to raise our boys. She knows that I'll never buy anything for myself like that. What a woman! 
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I lived in Georgia for a few years, and my already tremendous love for BBQ, went up several notches due to the pitmasters there. One common thread, amongst the tapestry that was the finest of the Georgia smoking and grilling, was the BGE. I had a webber kettle grill, several actually, and used it often to make very good food. It just never got to the standard established for me with my experience with the BGE. I wanted to replace the void, and went all in with an XL. I had been warned by many of the masters on this sight, of what joining this lifestyle would be. It has been that and more! In July MBW gave me a MM. Life is pretty darn good.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • rmercier
    rmercier Posts: 212
    edited August 2015
    Options
    A coworker had one and showed it to me. I tried to talk the wife into getting one but she wouldn't have any part of it because of her concern of carcinogens from cooking with charcoal. Fast forward about 8 years to a client of hers telling her how great they are. She says to me "so and so says how great BGEs are". I almost go ape **** because she wouldn't listen to me, but takes the word of somebody else.

Anyway, she supplied the money for the egg and now all is good. She went out of town the week I got the egg so I cooked her some organic chicken thighs (with skin and bones) the day she got back....she loved them....so much so she had to have a second serving.
    LBGE in Northern VA
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Plano Outlaw Eggfest and one of my wife's best friends is a dealer and gave us a stupid ridiculous price.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,732
    Options
    This forum and a good friend.
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• jak7028
    jak7028 Posts: 231
    Options
    WeberWho? said:
    Big Green Egg or engagement ring
    Both very expensive hobbies

Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    jak7028 said:
    WeberWho? said:
    Big Green Egg or engagement ring
    Both very expensive hobbies

Yes sir! She ended up with a ring not too long after. Now I just try to get them done at the same time.  Her valentine's present.....Flowers in a vase! =)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota