Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My new BGE is all set up, now what?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Any suggestions for my first attempt? Any hints or warnings that often happen to newbies for me to look out for?

Comments

• California Sooner
    Options
    Flomster,[p]Just be aware that there is a learning curve with your BGE. Be patient and have fun. Can't remember my first cook (way back in January!) but I think it was chicken.[p]Jim
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Flomster,
    Hints/warnings: read The Naked Whiz on flashback and related topics.[p]Suggestions: what are you hungry, REALLY hungry, for? Burgers? Steak? Chicken? Get the fixin's 'n' git goin'![p]Welcome to the cult/club/whatever.[p]Ken

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    Flomster,[p]Welcome to the club! It's like Christmas, but with eggs.[p]I suggest a Spatchcock Chicken. Head on out to the Naked Whiz's Site. It's chock full of great info, tips, tricks, and sometimes, just strange stuff. LOL[p]Check the link below.[p]GM[p]
    [ul][li]Naked Whiz's Spatchcock Chicken Recipe[/ul]

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Flomster,
    well, you probably got the thing to sear, right? get some NYC strips and torch off![p]maybe you bought it to barbecue, though. ribs, or butts. you might want to wait a bit and get used to the vents before doing those.[p]the spatchcocked chicken is a good middle of the road bewteen th extremes.[p]...but i vote for a big steak. don't be afraid, when all is said and done, it's a grill. you won't 'screw up' steaks any more than you might on a gasser.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • GrillMeister
    Options
    35PoundsPork.jpg
    <p />stike,[p]I'd bet he got it for BIG BUTTS![p]Am I right Flomster?

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    stike,[p]I agree on the easy factor and would go with a big fat ribeye.[p]One very, very important step that must not be skipped during the first cook is The Christening. After the fire is established and the meat is on the grill, pour a little of what you are drinking on your head.... in my case it would be a 12oz PBR in a can.... a little on the egg and proceed to howl at the moon while flapping your arms and doing the funky chicken several times around the smoking egg.[p]Only by doing so will the egg be christened... very important![p]john

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    Just one question. Does the moon have to be up in the sky, or can you howl at the moon wherever it may be? This sounds like it could be important. I don't want to get it wrong.[p]Happy Friday mang.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Squeeze
    Squeeze Posts: 717
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    You know, I never did that with mine and I have 4 fat ribeyes for dinner tonight. I will be flapping and howling for sure![p]-Kevin

Kevin Jacques
    The University of Que L.L.C. ®
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

Take Your Taste Buds to School!
  • GenesGrill
    GenesGrill Posts: 308
    Options
    Flomster,
    IMHO (in my humble opinion), it would depend on how many people you are cooking for. If only one or two, do a steak. Three or four, I'd do a spatchcocked chicken...that was my first cook....I used Naked Whiz's method and put Paul Prudhomme's poultry season on it....super good and juicy!!

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    WooDoggies,[p]I'd like to see an actuall re-inactment of said ritual!![p]I think it has a place on the whiz's website![p]DVD's included with every new BGE??[p]Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    d0ba5042.jpg
    <p />Flomster,[p]Maybe just burgers and brats or try a combination cook. [p]7eb0f2bf.jpg[p]Build a good fire and while you are figuring out temp control it's fun to have some things that will come off every hour or two for snacking like some wings, boneless chicken breasts or a fatty.[p]e3ee08c8.jpg[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • GenesGrill
    Options
    GrillMeister,
    Is that a BBQ guru set up I see there?? I was wondering if it was OK to attach the pit probe to the meat probe or not....

• WooDoggies
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]By all means howl at the moon wherever it may be.... otherwise you might be waiting a long, long time to eat.[p]Four hours and counting till beer thirty and grillin... happy friday to you my mang.[p]john

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    To clarify does root beer count?[p]H

• WooDoggies
    Options
    dhuffjr,[p]Yes, any beverage of choice will work... all the better to get the whole family involved... it'a a solemn act, tho and should be treated with reverence.[p]john

• thirdeye
    Options
    WooDoggies,[p]I do that dance on a regular basis while doing a full performance burn with the weed burner, waving it over my head. The 12' flames and the jet engine roar are actually more impressive during the dark phase of the moon.[p]
    ~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• WooDoggies
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]Now that is something I would pay good money to see![p]
  • GrillMeister
    Options
    Z_800-0000-001C.jpg
    <p />GenesGrill,[p]Yep, it's a Pit Minder E-Temp from the good folks at BBQ Guru. It rocks as it keeps my egg at a steady 225 all last night while I sleep and all day while at work. About 22 hours for this cook.[p]Cheers,[p]GM

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    First throw the BGE Manual right out the window....Then..Go to the www.nakedwhiz.com and stay there....for a long time....a very long time.....read everything there.....WessB's site is also very worthwhile as well......And then get going....make sure you put in plenty of charcoal...that's like the first mistake everybody makes....including yours truly.......[p]You're in for some fun! And some pretty fine eatin'![p]Ed...eddiemac[p]Ft. Pierce, FL

• MasterMason
    MasterMason Posts: 243
    Options
    Flomster,[p]Go for the gusto.... Pulled pork That was my first cook. I had to wait for most of a month to get my first one delivered, so I had a lot of time to drool, and wasn't about to wait a minute more than I had to to try the pulled pork... :)

• GenesGrill
    Options
    eddiemac,
    Eddie....some good points! I'd like to see someone have a "newbie list" of things a first time egger should know before lighting up the first time to include things many eggers have surely learned the hard way......

• thirdeye
    Options
    GenesGrill,[p]I have a Introduction to Barbecue page on my site. I update it from time to time. It is not BGE specific, just some general barbecue pointers. Here is the link.[p]~thirdeye~

[ul][li]Intro to Q[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• stike
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    if i'm pouring alcohol anywhere, it's in my face.[p]was just downstairs (at The Beerworks, Boston) with some of my cohorts, and the brewmaster gave us each a glass to try of his belgian ale, brand new, not even on tap yet. really wonderful.[p]and they tapped the hefeweizen, too, about a week ago.
    you know, i may just have to head back down

• av8or3
    av8or3 Posts: 18
    Options
    thirdeye,
    Nice intro thirdeye,I wish I'ld read it before o/cooking my first briscit. Very informative!

• Dos Huevos
    Dos Huevos Posts: 368
    Options
    WooDoggies,[p]No one told me about this. What is the statute of limitations on this? Do i have to get all new eggs now?
  • stike
    Options
    Master Mason,
    ok. no lies. straight out. how many times did you open the dome during that first cook?

• MasterMason
    MasterMason Posts: 243
    Options
    stike,[p]probably 5 times. I had everything I needed, the plate setter, drip pan, Maverick, and very good instructions. I went staight by Elder Wards words, did absolutely everything he wrote, worked perfect. Since then I have modified some, but for straight out of the gate, there isn't a better set of instructions.
  • stike
    Options
    Master Mason,
    i agree.
    i went from wondering to what pork butt was to overnight being (well, appearing to my family to be) the "barbecue god". hahaha[p]elder ward's method is an infallible roadmap for the first timer.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    Master Mason,
    that was my first cook on the egg also, had it highlighted, notes in the columns, notes penciled on the fridge. first cook and first time i had ever tasted barbaqued pulled pork, who woulda known it could be so good

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Smoked Signals
    Options
    GrillMeister,
    Whats the green gel in the background? I can't get my gel at WalMart anymore ... looking for a replacement. I might just get the MAPP torch.[p]Doug