Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HELP: My steaks are still a BIG disappointment

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,888
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Most everything I have done on my eggs have been successes; however my endeavors with steaks - in particular New York strips - have been consistent disappointments. I've tried the yellow mustard with & without spices, tried the various CharCrusts and chalked those up to
failures/money thrown away.
I've varied the temps and amount of time and find 3/3/4 is way too long but, last night's 2.5/2.5/3 left the mustard intact and taste as well. I don't really want to marinate such a good piece of meat unless that is the secret to "great steakhouse" steaks. Anybody have any ideas on how to get a truly good tasting steak off a BGE? I'm at wits end. I'm starting to think its one of those things that BGE afficionado - and I consider my self one - know as a flaw and don't want to talk about for fear of putting a clink in the mystic of BGE. I welcome any and all of you to prove me wrong as I really miss a good steak meal! Thanks in advance.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    RRP,
    For steaks, I don't use any dwell time. Take a 1 1/4 inch thick steak and put anything you want on it. IMHO, boneless rib eyes are the best for this. I personally use Andria's (a restaurant in O'Fallon IL) steak sauce about an hour or so before the cook. I set up the Egg for around 650F+-. Then 2 minutes, 45 seconds per side and it's done medium rare to rare. [p]I don't use mustard as the high temp will put a nice crust on the meat. I think the mustard is much better suited for a long cook. BTW, if you want Andria's number, I can get it for you; you can order it by phone. It really makes a good steak taste great.
    JimW

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    RRP,[p]I suggest that you try a different approach to steak. Try a light coating of kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper. Cook as JimW suggests and give the finished steak a light coating of clarified butter prior to serving.[p]Sometimes simpler is better.[p]Spin

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    RRP,
    I'm having an old friend over for his first steak off Eggie today. The steaks. 1.75 inch NooYok strips are nekkid. No rubs, no mustard, nuthin'!
    I'll crank Mr. Egg up to about 1000* and sear those lovely slabs o meat for about 3 min on a side then shut everything down for about a 5 min. dwell. The meat will be warm and red on the inside. If I leave them another one or two min. they'll be pink and hot.
    I've tried all sorts of rubs and stuff but the only thing that I do now is maybe some fresh ground pepper if it's called for. [p]Stick with it and go back to basics like I did. Don't get discouraged.[p]Carey

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    Sundown,[p]My friend, your advice is sound and full of common sense. Great post.[p]Puj
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    steak1.jpg
    <p />RRP,[p]I agree with Spin - sea salt (kosher salt), pepper and sear them good at 700-800 deg. You never mentioned the type of steaks you have. I try to always get good thick ones (I prefer filet mignon) 2" thick as a minimum so they won't be too done too quickly. Often I don't dwell but sear to the donenessI want. I also use a digital quick read thermometer to check for doneness. You need to find what is best for you, some like steaks much differently than I do.[p]Tim
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    08_07_0017_52_02_small.jpg
    <p />RRP, one of these days you'll have to walk around the corner for dinner, N.Y. Strips are about my favorite cut of beef on the BGE. I will typically fix them either one of two ways...[p]1) a little salt and pepper before they hit the grill; or,
    2) marinated for a few hours in equal parts of lemon juice, soy sauce and olive oil.[p]Dome temperature always at about 750 degrees - depending on the thickness of the strip, 2-3 minutes per side followed by a little dwell time. [p]Tonight it's baby backs, Memphis-Style. They are on their last hour and in a few minutes I'll start applying a little of my Memphis-Style BBQ sauce. [p]LIFE is GOOD! [p]:~}

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    RRP, I always use KC Strips. Iv'e tried char crust, salt-pepper combo, and other spices. One thing that I always do is let steaks get to room temp. before cooking (about 1 hour) and always use extra virgin olive oil on the steaks after doctoring up with spices.
    The last time I tried char crust, I put a thin layer of mustard on then the char crust followed by spraying on olive oil. Made sure temp was at least 750, seared on both sides for 2 minutes and dwell for 3 more. Great crust and pink and juicy inside. I had a few dissappointments with steaks but it was still pretty good.[p]CWM

• char buddy
    Options
    RRP,[p]I'm a relative newbie and I too had some big disappointments with steak. Lately I've had a lot of success with rib eyes when I get'em nice and thick (1 1/4", 1 1/2"), dry aged at least three weeks (more if possible) and prime grade. Sirloin strips are ok and I have not yet tried the filet, but rib eyes seem particularly well marbled and tasty. I kick humpty up to 800 or so (those insane temps don't seem necessary) and do four minutes on the first side. I flip it over and take a look. I'm looking for steak that looks I poured shoe polish on it and buffed it. If it doesn't look that way, I leave it on its second for a little longer. If I blow it and it's too dark, I leave on the second side for a shorter time. After I'm done with the second side, I let it dwell for three or four minutes, again depending on things are going. I have an instant read thermometer and I check the steak just before I finish up. Surprisingly the problem is making sure that at least one of them is medium rare. The default steak is usually rare and juicy. [p]Lately, I've been putting mustard on them just to vary the look of the crust (a mustard crust looks a bit lighter to me). [p]I still can't get over what the egg does to a good piece of meat. If I were doing a choice grade, non-aged steak, I'd probably put in a wine marinade for an hour or two. I might also go light on the dwell time.

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    RRP,
    You have received eggcellent advice so far. I can only add one suggestion, try to upgrade the quality of the meat. Now I am not saying that you have been purchasing bad meat, however every steak is different. I have never had much success with grocery store meat. Find a good butcher that you can trust, he or she will steer you to the proper steer. Some day’s one cut is better than another and only they would know that. Keep in mind that price does always reflect quality; I have paid high prices for low quality steaks.[p]Keep trying and when you do succeed; you will never eat steak out again.[p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• AndyR
    AndyR Posts: 130
    Options
    RRP,
    I was in the same boat with these steaks. I must say that I enjoy the challenge of having to re-learn the art of cooking a steak not only to the perfect temp (regardless of personal opinion) but also doing it consistently. What I decided to do is go back to the basics. If your going to commit to the dwell technique, eliminate as many variables you can. Forget the rubs, mustard and the like. (salt & pepper/marinades are fine). Use the same thickness and type of steaks. Pick a high temp and stick with it. Then the only variable left is time. Once you've got the feel then you can start getting creative.[p]Personally, I don't like the dwell method. Wonderful product but it seems to be to regimented and methodical. At temps as high as 1000 degrees, even the smallest miscalculation in time can trash a steak. I don't like standing over my fire with a stop watch. I'm a touchy feely kind of guy and that's how I cook steaks. What I enjoy is open top cooking around 450 to 500 degrees just like a grill. Leave the bottom open a crack or close it if necessary. This method allows a little more time to relax and enjoy the cook. Either method will produce a great steak. Let us know how you do.
    AndyR

• King-O-Coals
    Options
    RRP, I haven't read any of the replys yet, but my steaks improved when I cooled the heat down to around 300-350. I started out with the blast-furnace technique and slowly worked my way back down to the temp I useta cook them at before the EGG. Just my personal preference,, and my guest's too.. Now I ain't saying that 1000 degree searing ain't good, cause they are. But I have noticed a difference in tenderness when I cook them slow.

• Billy
    Billy Posts: 68
    Options
    Tim M,
    Is the Egg in the picture fairly new? I notice that the inside is light brown. Mine is pitch black. I do high temp steaks about twice a week, which is supposed to clean the inside, but it is still black. Just wondering.Billy

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Billy,[p]Yes it was new. This is my small egg and it is used mainly for 350-650 deg cooking. I use the large Egg for the slow low temp cooking, it is much blacker than Jr.[p]Tim