Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I should be shot!

Options
Last night I smoked 6 slabs of ribs, 3 tritip, and 4 huge Salmon filets for about 20 people.  This morning I found one of those slabs of ribs still wrapped in the micowave.  Should I throw it or is it still safe to eat?  Whatch'all Think?

Comments

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I would throw it out-  not worth it. But sorry for your loss :)
    Greensboro, NC
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Hmm :pensive: Wrapped in microwave??? Do you think you should be shot for wasting meat or having it in the microwave?    
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    I would toss it. Then we can string you up. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• iyacyas
    iyacyas Posts: 38
    Options
    I'm not sure I like your response... but sadly I agree.  On the "not so bright side" there's thousands of flies on the other side of the door that are going to Happy!
  • Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Options
    I wouldn't risk it either, but I will share in a moment of silence for your loss
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    iyacyas said:
    I'm not sure I like your response...
    Oh come on, what's a little ribbing among friends?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• iyacyas
    Options
    I have to say they were some gooooooooooooood ribs..............
  • iyacyas
    Options
    iyacyas said:
    Very catchy,  is this a little play on "food"?
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Keep it
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • rmercier
    rmercier Posts: 212
    Options
    I don't know...my wife is from the Czech republic and when we go to visit here parents, they'll make schnitzel and leave it covered in an unheated oven overnight. We usually do this the night before we leave to come back home and I take it on the plane with me...by the time I actually eat it, it has been at room temp for over 12 hours....haven't gotten sick yet
    LBGE in Northern VA
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Bear Grills would eat it
    Phoenix 
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    iyacyas said:
    iyacyas said:
    I never play with my food!

I'm in the better safe than sorry crowd ... pitch it. 

I always remember in school when we were all goofing off and saying stupid things.  It seemed like as soon as I said something that would get me in trouble, the room would go quiet so that my voice carried, and the teacher would walk in the room.  No one else got caught ... just me.  Guess I'm still gun shy and don't push the odds with food bacteria.

• stemc33
    Options
    rmercier said:
    I don't know...my wife is from the Czech republic and when we go to visit here parents, they'll make schnitzel and leave it covered in an unheated oven overnight. We usually do this the night before we leave to come back home and I take it on the plane with me...by the time I actually eat it, it has been at room temp for over 12 hours....haven't gotten sick yet
    Timothy Treadwell had a similar philosophy about bears.

I'm sure we all got similar stories, especially when it comes to something like leftover pizza. All was great with leftovers until the food police started using their scare tactics. Leftovers haven't been the same since.  :smiley: 
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • stemc33
    Options
    iyacyas said:
    iyacyas said:
    I never play with my food!

I'm in the better safe than sorry crowd ... pitch it. 

I always remember in school when we were all goofing off and saying stupid things.  It seemed like as soon as I said something that would get me in trouble, the room would go quiet so that my voice carried, and the teacher would walk in the room.  No one else got caught ... just me.  Guess I'm still gun shy and don't push the odds with food bacteria.
    No sense of adventure. 
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I'd probably eat them myself because I seem to have an iron stomach. Not sure I'd let the wife or kids though. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @stemc33 ... Let's just say that my sense of adventure is in harmony with my sense of preservation.  I don't play Russian Roulette, I don't eat Fugu, and I don't mess with #&^%) mean little bacteria.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,896
    Options
    @stemc33 ... Let's just say that my sense of adventure is in harmony with my sense of preservation.  I don't play Russian Roulette, I don't eat Fugu, and I don't mess with #&^%) mean little bacteria.
    I'm with you, Tom! I had food poisoning 39 years ago and don't plan to suffer through that ever again! A rack of ribs isn't worth the risk nor would I feed them to Fido either!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    As I've mentioned before on the forum, I was hospitalized for salmonella poisoning (restaurant). Trust me you don't want any part of that. Worse than kidney stones.
    It's just a rack of ribs. Just toss them. No need to shoot you. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    As I've mentioned before on the forum, I was hospitalized for salmonella poisoning (restaurant). Trust me you don't want any part of that. Worse than kidney stones.
    It's just a rack of ribs. Just toss them. No need to shoot you. 
    Agree to not take a chance, but I was looking forward to the lynching/shooting. 

Few days ago I did meatloaf and about 30 minutes into the cook noticed the jar with my very carefully measured seasoning mix still on the counter. We ended up with a 2# hamburger patty over cooked to 150º - maybe this forgetting things is like a virus just going around.  =)
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    rmercier said:
    You can do it wrong and get away with it most of the time.  It's just that on those rare occasions when you lose the gamble, it's not just a stomachache, but being so sick you wish you were dead, or, if elderly or very young are involved, maybe they'll really be dead.

In the old days, people didn't know stuff like this, and people got along.  But people also died a LOT younger, back then...

Cooking for Groups is a really helpful booklet, I think, by the FDA, compiling recommendations from experts who study how foodborne illness is caused, that I found when I was looking for information for my church.  It's very relevant to any time you're cooking a large amount of food, notably such as barbecue.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I got food poisoning many years ago.  It was not pretty.  But in case you decide to eat the ribs...

Flint, Michigan
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    If they were wrapped while still warm and not touched since being wrapped I'd probably eat them.

You're likely to reheat them anyway and that would kill the few bugs that may have gained a foothold in that environment.

Also, if you rub or sauce your ribs there is likely either enough salt or acidity to retard a rapid culture growth.

Sure, there is chance that they may have already "turned" but you're probably more likely to be hit by a bus.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• iyacyas
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments,  The final results...  The Flies are happy!  Just cannot chance it with the family.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Sometimes impairment sets in with me.....and I do stupid things....not calling you stupid,....there just becomes too much to keep up with sometimes. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow