Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Restaurant Steaks...

Options
Well I guess I'm spoiled with my egg and ability to cook a great steak. My question to yall is, do you still order steaks at restaurants knowing that you can cook one 100% better? 

Comments

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    I have paid for my XL by not going out as much as before I got it, I am fortunate in my line of work that I typically eat out twice a week because of traveling and when my wife goes I get credit for dinner date. I generally ask what the restaurant most requested dish/meal is and order that. It's still nice to go out a few times a month. 
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Absolutely NOT. I always order something i'm not very good at cooking b

Little Rock, AR

• drano
    drano Posts: 39
    Options
    I was just telling someone the same thing today. Never order steaks out anymore, they don't compare.
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    I went to the meat market today and spent $40 on 4 beautiful filets. SWMBO said at dinner "this would have cost $150 in a restaurant and this is so much better". All that plus the quality family time AND the kids ate every ounce of their steak. So...to answer your question, I only order steak at a couple of my favorite places (Bones and Stoney River). I never order one at a chain like Longhorns any more.
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • LKNEgg
    LKNEgg Posts: 339
    Options
    Never order steaks out any more. Enjoy the family time and cooking at home!  Not worrying about wait times, drink as many drinks as we want.  I usually order a seafood dish or something else when we going out now.

Felt a little snobby at first, but figured it's best to just enjoy it now!  Advise the same for you! 
    Large BGE - 2014
    FB 200, KAB, AR - 2015
    Lake Norman area of NC
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten!

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing!

• Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Options
    Never order steaks anymore, they just don't measure up
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Options
    Went to DelFrisco's in Boston last week. Great steak but the price of dinner for 2 was outrageous....as I can do better @ home for like a $40 Costco run. 
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • Wolfie51sb
    Wolfie51sb Posts: 267
    Options
    I learned a long time ago that I can prepare a better steak at home than what I get in a restaurant. Every couple of years I'll order one, and I'm always annoyed at myself afterward.

Rob

Columbus, Ohio

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    We haven't gone to our favorite steakhouse in 9 years! Back then fir just the two of us the bill was always $120!  On top of the egg working its magic I learned how to dry age my beef at home...nope I doubt we will ever return! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Meeeshigan22
    Options
    I do because I love steak, but it's not the same. The reverse sear on the egg has ruined me.

I did have a decent ribeye at St Elmo's in Indy a couple weeks back. And did OK at Carne Vino in Vegas a few months back however.
    Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Whatever you guys are on, I want some of it! If I want a good steak, I have to go to a restaurant. Not even a question.That's the only place I have found one. Where are you guys buying your steaks?! Am I finally going to have to join Costco or RD? I'm not really interested as I have NEVER gotten my money's worth from any club membership.  

The first steak I cooked on the egg was pretty good, though far from "100% better". I thought, FINALLY, a decent steak! It was a fluke. I haven't had a good one from the egg since then. Not one. Mediocre or worse, every single time. It's been almost six years now.  

Not being a troll. Seriously, my steaks suck. They have no flavor and are almost always tough. They always LOOK good, but they are not. My burgers, chops, fish, chicken (even breasts), roasts, other cuts of beef, are ALWAYS outstanding. Everything is. Except steaks. I rarely even try any more. If it's simply a question of finding a good butcher and spending $20+ a pound, then I'm out.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Whatever you guys are on, I want some of it! If I want a good steak, I have to go to a restaurant. Not even a question.That's the only place I have found one. Where are you guys buying your steaks?! Am I finally going to have to join Costco or RD? I'm not really interested as I have NEVER gotten my money's worth from any club membership.  

The first steak I cooked on the egg was pretty good, though far from "100% better". I thought, FINALLY, a decent steak! It was a fluke. I haven't had a good one from the egg since then. Not one. Mediocre or worse, every single time. It's been almost six years now.  

Not being a troll. Seriously, my steaks suck. They have no flavor and are almost always tough. They always LOOK good, but they are not. My burgers, chops, fish, chicken (even breasts), roasts, other cuts of beef, are ALWAYS outstanding. Everything is. Except steaks. I rarely even try any more. If it's simply a question of finding a good butcher and spending $20+ a pound, then I'm out.
    I travel A LOT and eat at more steak houses than I should.  I find most high quality ones make a great steak. But, I can make a good one one the egg too- plus it's a different style as it has a smokey flavor you can't get from a Salamander broiler. I might suggest the biggest thing you are likely missing is the finishing butter- most steak houses load it down upon the finish and it makes all the difference in the world.  Mix up some garlic, herb, salt infused finishing butter and see if it points you to happiness. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Thanks, Wolfpack. You're right, I haven't tried compound butter. Worth a shot I guess. I can't be any more disappointed! LOL, I'm almost afraid it will WORK!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• thebbb
    thebbb Posts: 67
    Options
    What cut do you usually buy...do you season it?
    Lbge and MiniMax  in Southern Manitoba
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    thebbb said:
    NY strip or ribeye. Season with s&p. I have better luck with the strips. Mostly gave up on ribeyes a while back. Too much fat, too little flavor.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Thanks, Wolfpack. You're right, I haven't tried compound butter. Worth a shot I guess. I can't be any more disappointed! LOL, I'm almost afraid it will WORK!
    Try Desi Ghee - it is clarified unflavoured butter, think the smoke temp is very high, hence it finishes a steak crust without burning, Compound butter is good as part of a board dressing, but I always tend to burn it if I try to sear with it. 
    Local steakhouse has a Salamander and an excellent finish butter - way better than mine, however, I can get 4 of my mediocre steaks for the price of one at the local eatery.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    That sucks @Carolina Q if I felt that way I'd probably feel a lot different about grilling in general. I freaking love steak cooked at home. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Never made ghee before. Never seen it for sale either. Worth a shot. Thanks!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    Options
    Never made ghee before. Never seen it for sale either. Worth a shot. Thanks!
    I picked up ghee from trader joes 
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • 78 T140E
    78 T140E Posts: 110
    Options
    thebbb said:
    NY strip or ribeye. Season with s&p. I have better luck with the strips. Mostly gave up on ribeyes a while back. Too much fat, too little flavor.
    Maybe you'll find something in this article that makes your steaks taste better:
    The Food Lab's Definitive Guide to Grilled Steak.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I order whatever I want to eat.   That's how I roll.
    How do you not make an awesome steak on the egg? 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I do.  Because that's how I roll.
    Options
    Even the Lowly HotDog is terrific off the egg.   I can make 'em PERFECT with a nice suntan evenly applied with the very tiniest Split.   FINI.  

Spend the $$$ on top-notch steak?   WOW!   What a meal!
  • heartmedic
    Options
    I won't say never because we have a few good steak places in Greenville SC, but never again at the regular chain steak houses.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Carolina Q ... I feel for you my friend, but it's just Egg Karma at work.  You rile against all the fancy bling (Maverick, Bubba Guru, Smokeware Cap, etc) that your egg covets.  Dress it up a little and give it some fancy bling ... then maybe it'll treat you to an excellent steak.

I can't quite cook a ribeye on the same level as Ruth's Chris Steak House ... yet.  I'm almost there, but not quite.  So right now, the fun of trying to close the gap far out weights the small improvement in flavor.  Plus, we can experiment on the egg for a week for what a meal at Ruth's costs. 

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• rmercier
    rmercier Posts: 212
    Options
    Tenderloins at Sweetwater Tavern are still amongst the best I've had
    LBGE in Northern VA
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Sure I do. Yes, you CAN cook a fantastic steak on an Egg. But, if you think you can't get better or do it better you'd be sorely mistaken. I'm always looking for ways to improve my methodology in anything I cook. I can name at least 5 commercial establishments that make a legit steak and that list isn't including those with aged prime. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    The steaks I cook on our BGE are great and I would never even consider putting butter on them. Steaks are already so high in fat content that adding butter is unthinkable.

The only time I eat steak out is when we are traveling away from home for a long time and I miss having steak. I rarely find one better than my own. I also tell them not to even think about putting butter on it.  My arteries are already clogged enough.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    I dont order steak out unless Im at Ruth Chris or something for a special occasion. Will order prime rib though. 
    Jacksonville FL