Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Korean Lettuce Wraps

Options
Acn
Acn Posts: 4,424
I just watched the 8 Edward Lee episodes of Mind of a Chef, so I got back on a Korean food kick.  I stopped and picked up some thin beef strips and some pork belly slices.

I put together a marinade of gochujang paste, rice vinegar, canola oil, grated ginger and grated garlic.  I let the beef and the pork belly marinate for about six hours.

I did the meat raised direct, since both were sliced thin, it didn't take a lot of time.

I served as lettuce rolls, with gochujang mayo, shredded carrots and kimchi.  I also did a side salad on the egg.

Mmmm, pork belly....

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

Comments

• Acn
    Options
    Since it always comes up, lifter meat is from around the blade bone.

http://www.beeffoodservice.com/RecipeCut.aspx?id=253

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Acn
    Options
    The salad I did on the egg as well.  I tossed some asparagus and scallions with olive oil, salt, and pepper.  Grilled raised direct, and then sliced it and tossed with raw sliced sugar snap peas and matchstick carrots.

I made a miso dressing, using warm water, white wine, sugar, lime juice, and a bunch of miso paste.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Texansurf
    Texansurf Posts: 507
    Options
    Looks great

Corpus Christi, Texas.  LBGE x 2, Weber Smoky Joe, and Aussie Walk-About
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Great looking meal.  Now that you have found the Korean Chile Paste here is a poultry version that I like.

Chicken, Thighs, Skewered, Dakkochi, Korean, Florida Mini Fest '14

Dakkochi is a Korean street food. Skewered chicken cooked over charcoal.  Did this for the Florida Mini Fest 2014.

INGREDIENT:
    5 Lbs Boneless, Skinless Chicken Thighs
    MARINADE:
    4 Tbs gochujang
    ½ cup sake
    3 cloves garlic (grated)
    2-3 Tbs Ginger, Grated, Fresh
    1/2 small onion (grated)
    1/2 Asian or Bartlett pear (grated)
    2/3 cup soy sauce
    1 Tbs sesame oil
    1 Tbs brown sugar
    1/2 Bunch Scallions, green onions (chopped)
    BASTING SAUCE
    3 Tbs tomato ketchup
    6 Tbs Sake
    3 Tbs chilli flakes
    3 Tbs gochujang
    6 Tbs soy sauce
    4 Tbs brown sugar
    2 Tbs sesame seeds
    1 Tbs parsley
    3 Tbs Indian River Rainbow Pepper, (regular course ground black will do).
    2-3 Tbs Sesame oil.
    Garnish:
    White Sesame Seeds
    Scallions, diced into 1/8" pieces.

PROCEDURE:

1. Took 5 #'s (18 thigh pieces) of Boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into apprx 1" pieces and placed in marinade in refrigerator overnight.

2. Yield was 26- 6" sticks of 4-5 pieces each. Could have added onion pieces or other , bell pepper pieces. cherry tomatoes or whatever you may want to do.

3. Cooked on BGE 350F until internal temp was 165F-170
    F. One batch was indirect and took 25 minues or so.  The other batch was direct and took less time.  Turned and basted every 5-10 minutes.

4. Served as an appetizer with toothpicks, but could just as easily do with veggies/rice for a main meal.

Recipe Type: Appetizer, Main Dish, Poultry

Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2014/11/01**

Author Notes
    A batch of basting sauce did about 10-15 sticks, depending on how often and how much.

Gochujang is a savory and pungent fermented Korean condiment made from red chili, glutinous rice, fermented soybeans and salt. Traditionally, it has been naturally fermented over years in large earthen pots outdoors, more often on an elevated stone platform, called jangdokdae  in the backyard.

Richard Fl--I would use less of the chile paste until you get used to the HEAT.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=195502
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Man, I'd tear that up!  Nice cook 
  • Acn
    Options
    Thanks all.  Richard - that recipe looks great, have you tried halving it?

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Very nice cook
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited August 2015
    Options
    That looks awesome. I love hitting H Mart - it's like going on a field trip. Well done. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Wow!!  That looks outstanding!  Bookmarked.
  • Acn
    Options
    Thanks @cparktx @GATraveller and @Dyal_SC

For the marinade I used 4 heaping spoonfuls of gochujang, 4 T rice vinegar, 2 T canola and the 5 cloves of garlic and the ginger chunks you see in the photo.  That probably would have been sufficient for a little more meat than I had, maybe up to 2 or 2-1/4 pounds.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    This will be on the menu for the week after next when......hate I even have to say this but......the kids will be back in school. Can't believe how quickly this summer has blown by. Really makes me sad. I don't want them to grow up.   :s
    This cook is quick and packs a flavor punch! I look forward to it. Thanks for the help. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Acn
    Options
    This will be on the menu for the week after next when......hate I even have to say this but......the kids will be back in school. Can't believe how quickly this summer has blown by. Really makes me sad. I don't want them to grow up.   :s
    This cook is quick and packs a flavor punch! I look forward to it. Thanks for the help. 
    I know what you mean about how quickly summer has flown by!  We've got 3 more weeks, but we're kind of looking forward to school starting again; our daughter has spent all summer with her grandparents, which is great - we're really thankful that they all get that time together and that both sets of grandparents are in good enough shape to have a 7 year old - but when she's been at home, one set of grandparents has been here too, so we really haven't had any time as just the 3 of us.  Plus, we won't be upset about not having to keep traveling up and down the east coast, driving her to and from Maryland, Maine, and North Carolina.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Great looking grub brother. The name lettuce wraps threw me off for a minute ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.