Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini max butt- tailgating practice (pics)

Options
meturncl
meturncl Posts: 51
getting ready for LSU football tailgating, I decided to practice my butt cooking skills.    Going low and slow today. Any suggestions In how to cool the mini off quickly would be appreciated.  

Thanks 

Geaux Tigers

Comments

• meturncl
    Options
  • meturncl
    Options
    10 hours later it's done.   Obviously I'll be doing a turbo butt for tailgates...  
    Geaux Tigers

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Wrap and turbo  at 160. Done in half the time. 
  • meturncl
    Options
  • meturncl
    Options
    Finished product. Added a couple jalopeno poppers and casserole.  Great dinner.  
    Geaux Tigers

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Looks delicious! You will draw a crowd
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Very nice :plus_one: 

I was just at my son's and while we were carrying the 300° egg (after the 600° steak cook) to the truck, he started laughing. He said, "How can they claim this is portable. It's so heavy that you can't even carry it around and it doesn't even cool off."  I must say it was kind of funny. Of course this came after I shot down his idea of opening the egg to cool it off. Lol. 

No suggestions on quick cooling. Did you do a 10 hour cook on 1 load of lump? 

Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Bring a small pet food garbage can to unload the burning charcoal to. They have locking lids to snuff the fire out (I bought mine at lowes).  Since they are metal they will cool faster than the egg. Then open the lid and let the egg cool. You could even bring welders gloves to take the ring and box out so they cool quicker. Works for me when I took eggs away from home. Honestly now I take weber jumbo joes, easier to go portable. 
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Bring a small pet food garbage can to unload the burning charcoal to. They have locking lids to snuff the fire out (I bought mine at lowes).  Since they are metal they will cool faster than the egg. Then open the lid and let the egg cool. You could even bring welders gloves to take the ring and box out so they cool quicker. Works for me when I took eggs away from home. Honestly now I take weber jumbo joes, easier to go portable. 
    I like this idea. I bet the KAB would make this process you described a lot easier. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    The MM making the trip to Columbia this year?
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • rmercier
    rmercier Posts: 212
    Options
    Dump the coals in the lot?
    LBGE in Northern VA
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    When I used my small egg to tailgate, I used tongs to clean out the egg. I put the coals in a galvanized bucket with a little water in it. Then dump a gallon over them to make sure they're out. I lift out the ring and firebox, have another beer while it cools and put it back together. 

If you don't have any water in the can before you start dropping the red hot coals in it, you may start the grass on fire. I made that mistake the first time I used this method. The grass started smoking before I even had the egg cleaned out. I had plenty of water so it didn't cause any issues. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • meturncl
    Options
    The MM making the trip to Columbia this year?
    I think so.  Depends on what time the game starts.  Maybe we can meet up.   
    Geaux Tigers

• meturncl
    Options

stemc33 said:
    Very nice :plus_one: 

I was just at my son's and while we were carrying the 300° egg (after the 600° steak cook) to the truck, he started laughing. He said, "How can they claim this is portable. It's so heavy that you can't even carry it around and it doesn't even cool off."  I must say it was kind of funny. Of course this came after I shot down his idea of opening the egg to cool it off. Lol. 

No suggestions on quick cooling. Did you do a 10 hour cook on 1 load of lump? 

Yes.  I had it filled to the rim.  Stayed at 230 - 250 the entire time.  I was pleasantly surprised.  
    Geaux Tigers