Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Removing plate setter

Options
i have a question about plate setter. While grill is hot above 250 or so what are chances in drastic temperature change cracking the plate setter. It concerns me and stops me from doing some types of grilling. And if I would remove it should it be placed on wood metal or a ceramic shield for a pot. Any comments on this matter welcome thanks in advance 

Comments

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    edited August 2015
    Options
    No issues at all. With all due respect @Danny71,  your overthinking. Just use it and enjoy your cooks.

In fact, I've forward seared my tri tips @ 700 + .. then added a 'cold' platesetter. 100% no problem.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Danny71
    Danny71 Posts: 108
    Options
    Not sure what woo or cgs is
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    No chance of thermo shock. 
  • BIll-W221
    BIll-W221 Posts: 279
    edited August 2015
    Options
    CGS is ceramic grill store and a woo is more or less a replacement for the plate setter when used with a stone. 
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Depending on the size of your egg, there are tools for lifting it out dirty or hot. Ott grid lifter makes a PS lifter and grid lifter. The claw @ innovations by chance makes a great tool for lifting the PS for a large. There are others. 
  • pgprescott
    Options
    I used welding gloves for years. Still use them sparingly, the tools make it easier and cleaner. 
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    When you use a Woo, the plate steer or stone sits inside. It makes it easier to remove the PS by not having touch the hot plate. Ingenious.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Sonny3
    Sonny3 Posts: 455
    Options
    Thank you to those that responded. I learn from these questions too.  I have a 26" square of 1.5 inch granite on my table top, between the eggs and that is where I plan to place hot things when they come off the grill.  It seems from the response that it will work fine for me when taking the PS out.
    Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    As @pgprescott wait the tools help a ton. He sold me the claw and it is easy as pie to lift out a hot setter or put one in when the coals are glowing.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Hard to beat a good set of thermal insulated gloves around the BGE.  Platesetter removal or grabbing the PSwoo2 handles or deciding to stir some lump when switching to direct after an indirect cook.  Just make sure you have the landing zone already scouted before you grab the platesetter.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • reh111
    reh111 Posts: 196
    Options
    Sonny3 said:
    Thank you to those that responded. I learn from these questions too.  I have a 26" square of 1.5 inch granite on my table top, between the eggs and that is where I plan to place hot things when they come off the grill.  It seems from the response that it will work fine for me when taking the PS out.
    Be careful about putting a hot plate setter on granite - it can crack the granite - I've got a couple of bricks that I put my really hot stuff on
  • Sonny3
    Sonny3 Posts: 455
    Options
    @reh111 , thanks for the heads up. I will surely take some precautions. Appreciate it.
    Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    key points for ceramic grill store's pswoo2
    • basically puts handles on your platesetter;
    • no need to touch the platesetter, grid or food when handling;
    • easy in and out of the cooker; 
    • platesetter slides in and out of the woo without touching the grid or food.  change over from indirect to direct or vise versa;
    • lets you grill/smoke at the felt line with or without the platesetter;  
    • bge's cast iron grid version available;    
    • Second grid setup available for two grid cooks too. 

thanks to all for help answering the question with regard to CGS.

t   
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    +1   Woo 2
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • g37
    g37 Posts: 450
    Options
    Sorry to get off the subject but cooking  raised direct can u still get a good sear on steaks and burgers? The woo seems like good idea for chicken i was just curious  about other cuts of meat.    I've been on the fence about buying a woo 2. Oh I bought the Dickson  bbq plate setter removal  tool to take out my plate setter.   
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    edited August 2015
    Options
    @g37 ... Looks like you already have a plate setter.  And, I'm going to guess you have a large egg.  Thus, you should consider buying three items only ... PSWoo2, spider, and cast iron grill ... all from CGS.

1)  OEM grid gives you direct cooking at the fire ring level

2)  PSWoo2 and OEM grid gives you raised direct at the felt line

3)  PSWoo2, plate setter, and OEM grid gives you raised indirect at the felt line

4)  Spider and CI grid (13" diameter) gives you "down on the coals" searing of your steaks.

Oh yes, some fire bricks and the CI grid will give you raised up-in-the-dome direct or indirect.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• kcw
    kcw Posts: 58
    Options
    Six years later I still haven't had issues. Have a stone fire pit I set it on to cool when the egg is needed after indirect cook. Have to say though since being introduced to CGS and the adjustable rig I haven't used the placesetter much. 
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    +1 on the Woo & stone

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited August 2015
    Options
    g37 said:
    Sorry to get off the subject but cooking  raised direct can u still get a good sear on steaks and burgers? The woo seems like good idea for chicken i was just curious  about other cuts of meat.    I've been on the fence about buying a woo 2. Oh I bought the Dickson  bbq plate setter removal  tool to take out my plate setter.   
    @G37  We/I do a reverse sear of something at least once per week.  I set up with a 17" grid on the fire ring and just below the Woo2.  When we're ready to sear, we just lift the Woo2 out and the grid is already there, hot, and ready to go.

You might prefer to place the lower grid below the fire ring
    if you wanna go quasi-caveman.

(If we don't need a sear, that lower grid is getting an extra cleaning . . . all good.)

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• Danny71
    Danny71 Posts: 108
    Options
    Thank everyone so much for the helpful comments