Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What pushed you over the edge ....

Options
Why did you finally get an Egg?

I was convinved after my dad's first butt was as good as my Weber Smokey Mountain butts.

1st try and he matched my best.  Plus, he gave me my first egg as a gift :triumph: 
A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS

Comments

• SandyHookEgger
    Options
    EggFest Prices. My son has one and I knew it cooked great.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    Serendipity.
    My Maco electric water smoker was falling apart, I had to go to the auto parts store for motor oil, brought the smoker to find a dumpster to drop it into, and a new hardware store next to the auto parts store was having a grand opening, they were an Egg dealer, passing out sample brisket, ribs and chocolate chip cookies, and I listened to the pitch awhile.
    Went home, got on the 'netz, did some research, went back and bought an assembled Large.  Never looked back.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• marysvilleegger
    Options
    My rusted out offset $100 smoker was looking pretty bad....
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I'd had different charcoal grills for years, notably including a Weber kettle, and then a Weber gas grill, and I loved how easy the gas grill was, but the food never really tasted grilled to me.  It looked grilled, but tasted like it could have been broiled in the oven.  And it seemed clear that practically everybody who really is an expert on grilling cook over charcoal, not gas.  I heard about Big Green Eggs, and how people were raving about them, but they were so expensive I wasn't sure whether they were worth the cost or not, and I was waffling, don't know if I ever would have bought one, really...

And then my wife gave me a Medium for Christmas a number of years ago!  :)  And I couldn't believe how great it was, how wonderful everything tasted -- I was hooked!  It didn't happen often that the Medium was too small, but every once in a while I wished it were bigger...

And then she gave me a Large for Christmas!  :)  So now I have two, and it seems perfect to me.  I use the Medium the most, sometimes the large, and on a few occasions, I've had them both going at once.  It's been great.
  • Downr@nge
    Options
    The warranty!
    XL Big Green  Egg 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Actually is is as much for baking as traditional grilling. I've always wanted a brick oven. The egg gives me at least an analog of that. The other factor was that I have never heard one bad review of the egg. It took about five years before I pulled the trigger. It also helped that my old gasser was worn out. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,832
    Options
    My boss has one, but I wasn't convinced until I lurked on this forum and saw what could be accomplished on an egg.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,170
    Options
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    Big Green Egg or engagement ring
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Meeeshigan22
    Options
    Friday before this past Memorial Day the local sports station had a discussion about what everyone was grilling for the weekend. The thought of cooking on the old Weber or the electric smoker had me wanting for more. Had been looking at Kamado's for years and never took the plunge, decided it was time. 

Wonder what took me so long now.
    Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
     I was shopping at a nursery  and was within earshot of two grown men first just talking about a "big green egg" whatever that was! Then they began arguing and then in each others face about to come to blows. Why? It was in the late Fall and the one guy had bought the last 3 bags of lump the nursery had and he refused to resell even one bag to the other. That was in 1999 back when lump was an unknown commodity around here and quite scarce. I went home and started my research on this BGE thing and "lump".    
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • snoqualmiesmoker
    Options
    Married a Texan, saw a huge Bandera smoker in front of Academy in Houston and promptly ordered.  Absolutely hated it.  Then, about 2004 saw saw a Good Eats episode where Alton Brown makes a smoker out of a terra cotta pot.  I was going to do this and while researching some forum found out about the Egg.  The rest is history.  
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,036
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Pretty cool, looks like the price makes people hesitant, but once you get to try food on it or use it then you "get it".
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • MediumRarely
    Options
    Spring 1975.  Student @GaTech - driving south on Buford Hwy with a couple of buddies.  Late Saturday morning, windows down. Snorted a waft BGE deliciousness and veered off to the source.  Ed had three or four machines cranked up on the front porch/walkway of his store and gave us complimentary samples.  My first BGE (small) was purchased the following week!

Always act so that you can tell the truth about how you act.

• XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    A friend of ours had one and I thought it looked cool but I never gave it much more thought. A couple years later I saw an add from a local dealer in the paper. Went in and talked to the sales guy and then asked my wife if we could buy one for my retirement. She said yes! Here's the photo from the day it arrived. Got rid of the kettle, in hindsight It should have been the gasser. 
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Brother had one
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    Options
    I had been doing my research and wanted to get something I could smoke and cook with so BGE was my choice.  I was balking a little at the pricing though.  I had a business trip to New Orleans and had a very successful night at the Poker Table at Harrahs.  When I got home, my wife said "You should just use that money and buy the Egg. Otherwise next time you play poker, you will probably just lose it."  Great wife and best suggestion ever.  Now I wonder why I waited so long.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    I had an offset smoker that had rusted out and had been going to an appliance store in Kitchener for my lump and they had an egg demo every Saturday morning.  What really made up my mind was that I could continue smoking in the winter which was impossible on the offset.

Gerhard

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I had spent $500ish on a Brinkman and it began falling apart within 2 years, I had begun wanting to do brisket, ribs, etc and I didn't like the end game of the gasser. I looked around and Cooks Illustrated did a review on them,  rated them and they picked Weber I think,  but I did more research and picked up a medium about 3 years after the purchase of the Brinkman.
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I saw an ad on tv for them and found out how much they cost and thought they were nuts. Many years went by and my local hardware store became a dealer. They cook on them on Saturday's. I liked what I saw, but I was still hesitant because of the price. 

My wife finally talked me into it. Needless to say I am glad she did. She is always right about everything anyway so why should this be any different?

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Vegas Eggus
    Options
    Had been considering a Weber after a few years with a gasser. Happened to see a guy post his new table on a MC related site. Started research and was impressed with the overwhelming positive reviews. 

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Bought mine after a guy on a totally different forum (now defunct abuzz.com) tortured me for months with pics and tales of cooking on a BGE. 

I paid 599 sight unseen.

was a good investment
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    Well I've talked about getting an egg for the better part of 10yrs.  My wife got sick of me looking and talking about it so oneday she called and told me about a package deal she had found and asked if I were to get it would I want s lg or XL.  I hesitated as usual because I hate to spend money on anything....then came the notification from chase she had run the debit card and that was that.  So my wife getting sick of me talking about it was the only reason it's sitting in the back yard.  Every time she gets mad about me buying stuff for the egg I remind her it's her fault.....I'd still be talking instead of cooking 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• Texansurf
    Texansurf Posts: 507
    Options
    Two things pushed me over the edge.  First was my brother has been using the Big Steel Keg, for several years and I liked the versatility.  Since I live in a small home, without much outdoor space, this style worked well for me.  The second factor that led me to the eggs was the environment in which I live.  The coast is very corrosive; which suggested that I use something ceramic.   Perhaps another factor was the lifetime warranty, and we compared to the other "Cheaper devises, the little extra cost seam well worth the investment.  I have posted 50 cooks and probably have used my egg 150 times.  1.5 years, with most of my life spent on the road.

Corpus Christi, Texas.  LBGE x 2, Weber Smoky Joe, and Aussie Walk-About
  • Sonny3
    Sonny3 Posts: 455
    Options
    Our local pool supply store is a BGE dealer.  They have a massive display set up in their showroom.  And about every other weekend they have a medium going in the parking lot cooking up something good for the customers that drop in.  I have been going there about twice a month since we put in the pool two years ago and am always drawn to the displays.  At the end of May my wife was with me and we spent some time talking about them. I had of course mentioned them a time or two.  They were having a great sale on already lower than average prices. An additional 10% off till the end of the month, which happened to be the next day.

So she whipped out her checkbook and asked me which one.  I told her the XL.  As we have a lot of family meals and gatherings at our house.  With the discounts our price was $899.  She said that when my birthday rolls around in August, to not forget that I had already received my gift.

When I was looking for a table, I found one that would handle two eggs, so I went back in and bought the medium.  I figure the medium would handle most of the everyday use for the two of us.

I love cooking outdoors, but to be honest I felt the gasser was limited and everything tasted about the same.  Also have a smoker that my son has been coveting, and has now claimed.

Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    I had seen an egg for the first time about 5 years ago at a rental house for a golf trip with some guys. The house had an egg but it was locked up and had sign to not use the Egg.  I started doing some research on them and just loved what I was reading but did not pull the trigger. Cost scared me away at the time.  For about 3 years I kept looking and mentioning the egg to my wife that one day I'm getting one.  Well she got tired of me hearing me talk about it and got me a LBGE last year.  Wow... What a game changer it has been....  I wonder how many of our ladies pulled the triggers for us?
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    After 30 years of grilling I wanted to BBQ and smoke. Started researching and found this site. Then everyone here was screwed  =)
    Jacksonville FL
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    edited August 2015
    Options
    @JohnnyTarheel - SWMBO indirectly aided the process by having a mirror to mirror engagement with an on-coming van.  Clearly her fault (on the friggin phone).  Once she figured out the cost of replacing the fancy van mirror and hers-I was home-free.  Jumped all over it-as my water gas smoker was getting beyond life support and I had done some research.
    My first BGE encounter was at a long-distance friends house in 1994-The light bulb didn't fire for me til many years later.  Timing-wise probably best to not get as engaged with the BGE til after both kids out of high school.  Given the weekends on the road at that time.  At least that's my story...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    I'd wanted one for a few years then one if my good friends got one which reinforced that I wanted one even more. However found the cost to be prohibitive.  Well then my wife hurt her ankle aggravating an old college injury. With her going to be laid up for 6-8 weeks my mother in law knew I'd be doing the majority of the cooking and bought me my first egg for Christmas.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season.