Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Arctic Ice vs Yeti Ice

Options
Focker
Focker Posts: 8,364
edited July 2015 in EggHead Forum
Anyone have experience with the ice pack products out there.   Guy in the Arctic Ice video splits the cooler with one pack, and two on the bottom, would be nice to divide food from drinks.  What size, and how many packs would you recommend for the Pelican 45.   

Are they that much better than freezing water bottles?

Tundra series is colder, but not as many positive reviews as these
 http://www.amazon.com/Arctic-Ice-Chillin-Reusable-2-5-Pound/dp/B00H50YWIE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438218277&sr=8-1&keywords=arctic+ice+pack

thanks
Brandon
Quad Cities
"If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I ordered 4 of the XL Arctic Ice. 2 of the Alaskan, and one each of the Tundra and beverage chill. Just got one of the Pelican 35 and one of the 45.
    All the information I read said to use the same amount of the Arctic Ice in weight that you would use with ice. They might be physically to large but I thought at worst case they would be great to pre chill the coolers.
    Hope to have them by the weekend.
    I have no experience with any "quality" ice substitutes. 
    Will post how they fit when I get them.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Focker
    Options
    Thanks much Darian, standing by for your review. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Focker
    I haven't used any of them yet. Waiting to see what a few others say about them as well. I am going to pick up a couple of the 4 pound Yeti blocks when Academy gets some in. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Focker
    Options
    @SGH,
    Cool, looking forward to a review. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• SGH
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    I thought at worst case they would be great to pre chill the coolers.
    My thoughts as well brother^^^^^^^^^^.
    I also thought they may do well in a cooler that has food only in it. Shouldn't make a soggy mess like regular ice. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    Focker said:
    @SGH,
    Cool, looking forward to a review. 
    You can count on it brother as soon as I get my hands on them.  

Status- Standing by.

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    I've been wondering as well. The yeti ice seems a bit of a stretch for the price. But I guess that's par for yeti stuff.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Focker
    Options
    Some valid points guys.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• SGH
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    I've been wondering as well. The yeti ice seems a bit of a stretch for the price. But I guess that's par for yeti stuff.
    Brother Miah, their stuff is certainly pricey for sure. However after using the 30oz Rambler and the Yeti 50 Tundra, I have to say that the price is justified to some degree. They are honestly very high end products. I know that not everyone needs one. Heck to be honest, I don't really need one myself. But I sure do like them my friend. My wife likes the 50 so much that she has laid claim to it. I'm kind of glad, this gives me reason to get the Yeti 105 that I have been eyeing.  

Status- Standing by.

• Jeremiah
    Options
    @SGH I half agree. I love my cooler but the cup, not so much, my wife took it and loves it though. I would like to see/ hear some evidence that the yeti ice is worth it. Damn it gets old buying ice. 
  • SGH
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    @SGH I half agree. I love my cooler but the cup, not so much, 
    If I may ask, which cup was it? I have the 30 and it has been fantastic. It's all that I use now. 

Status- Standing by.

• Jeremiah
    Options
    The bigger one. Honestly it was just too big. I already have a bunch of tervis cups that I use daily for coffee. The yeti cup was just overkill. My wife loves it though as she can freeze a little block of ice (a smaller cup) then her water is ice cold all day. Where as I just add more coffee to my tervis until it's quitting time. Then canned beer takes over. :)
  • Jeremiah
    Options
    Hence proves the saying "to each his own"
  • SGH
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Hence proves the saying "to each his own"
    No doubt brother^^^^^^^^^^^. And I agree. 

Status- Standing by.

• RiverDoc
    RiverDoc Posts: 572
    Options
    I'm wanting try try an Artic ice. I put a 4lb yeti ice in my hopper with 20lbs ice and 2drinks. 3days later I had cold beer! Not saying it's the best but I'm happy with it
    -Todd
    Franklin N.C. LBGE and a SBGE
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    I've got 2x XL Arctic Ice "Chillin Brews" delivering soon and will do some tests. I chose the Chillin Brews due to the temp it is optimized for (32F). The Tundra and Alaska series seem to be geared toward keeping things frozen (below 32F). The Tundra needs to be pre-chilled to a really cold temp (freezer on coldest setting) and is intended to replicate dry-ice. (to cold for most of my applications/drinks). Skeptical on how well "Blue Ice" works but like the idea of a cooler pre-chiller.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Photo Egg
    edited July 2015
    Options
    @Raymont... Actually the Chillin Brews are designed to keep thing just below the freeze point.
    It's made for beer that freezes below 32 degrees. It's made to keep 28 degrees. This will freeze most other types of food and drink if used in a good cooler.
    The Alaskan is designed to keep them 
    refrigerated.
    The Tundra will freeze beer. It's made to replace dry ice.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    No matter how well these things work...will feel strange not having real ice in the cooler. Somehow just does not feel right. lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Chelnerul
    Chelnerul Posts: 153
    Options
    Driving 8 hours south to Myrtle Beach next month, very interested in this convo's evolution...
    Manning our FOB in occupied Northern Virginia...
  • MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    Options
    I just don't get this new expensive cooler thing. When did coolers become a hot commodity? Everyone at the fire station loves Yeti but I just cant see spending the money. Seems like a 50$ cooler would do the job.
    St. Johns County, Florida
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    MaC122 said:
    I just don't get this new expensive cooler thing. When did coolers become a hot commodity? Everyone at the fire station loves Yeti but I just cant see spending the money. Seems like a 50$ cooler would do the job.
    So would a weber vs an egg but where is the fun in that- I have three yeti's but agree the price is a little crazy. But they are built like tanks- hopefully the last coolers I will need. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • Photo Egg
    edited August 2015
    Options
    @Focker...

2 of the XL Arctic Ice packs fit perfect on the bottom of the 45qt. Easily put another in the middle. Even if it was the next size smaller.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    2 of the XL Arctic Ice packs fit perfect on the sides of the 35qt.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Chelnerul said:
    Driving 8 hours south to Myrtle Beach next month, very interested in this convo's evolution...
    Just got back from Myrtle Beach with my wife and kids. Where r u staying?  If on the northern end of town, make the drive north to Calabash Creamery just across the state like in NC. It was the best ice cream that didn't come out of my churn. And the owners are eggers!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    The key is how much energy it takes to go from solid to liquid. My guess is that Yeti will not publish that. If they did, any one with a brain would not buy it.
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    SGH said:
    Photo Egg said:
    I thought at worst case they would be great to pre chill the coolers.
    My thoughts as well brother^^^^^^^^^^.
    I also thought they may do well in a cooler that has food only in it. Shouldn't make a soggy mess like regular ice. 

XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I have two of the Yeti ice blocks.  Easy to keep clean / wash off. Neatly fit in the freezer and do stay cold a long time.  Very pleased.  I am sure the other brands are comparable.  All way better than the cheapo bags and blocks that leak and you need 10 to cool anything. 
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Focker
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    2 of the XL Arctic Ice packs fit perfect on the sides of the 35qt.

Thanks Darian for the pic and info.  Just realized I had a 35qt and not the 45.  This will work perfect, did you get them from Amazon?
    Brandon
    Quad Cities