Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Topless & Cold ...

Options
Worked out most of the kinks for testing the tumblers when used with a cold fluid ... beer!

Used a Zojirushi pump type thermos with crushed ice to get the water down to 32 degrees.  The pump filtered the ice out of the fluid as the tumblers were filled one right after the other.  All tumblers were at room temp (75 degrees) prior to being filled.  To prevent stratification of the temps, a bamboo skewer, long enough to reach the bottom of the tumblers, was used to stir the water one minute before the temp was recorded.  With temps being measured every 15 minutes, that process kept the temps within one degree from top to bottom.

Since beer was the fluid being simulated, it was only fair to add in one of my favorite beer glasses:

Here are the results:

The first temps were recorded at the five minute point.  Good thing my favorite beer glasses stay in the freezer, 'cuz there was a ten degree jump in the fluid temp in the first five minutes.  The generic tumbler saw a two degree jump and the other two saw only a negligible jump in temp.  There was only a 43 degree difference between the fluid and the tumblers, so that makes sense ... the hot test saw three times that difference.

The line up of mugs, based on ability to keep fluids cold, matches the line up from the hot fluid test ... as would be expected.  The Zojirushi and the Yeti are both very efficient at keeping your beer cold ... in fact, it looks like the beer will go flat before its too warm to enjoy drinking.

The only conclusion I can see is that if you keep your glasses frozen, then any of the four tumblers will work for beer.  For large Margaritas, you might want to move up to one of the branded tumblers.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    GReat test!  Love it!
    Options
    I am sorry to be rude but I really do not care about lab tests. All of my Yeti tumblers and colsters work great in real life. Thanks for the effort, maybe someone cares,but not me.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    Options
    Oh. And great stuff. Love reading these tests as you have posted them. The same with the Yeti ice tests.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    MeTed said:
    I am sorry to be rude but I really do not care about lab tests. All of my Yeti tumblers and colsters work great in real life. Thanks for the effort, maybe someone cares,but not me.
    Wha???
    Options
    tamu2009 said:
    MeTed said:
    I'm sorry to be rude too, but if you have that opinion, then don't click on the thread and share it. I think there's plenty of us that do find it interesting and re appreciative of him doing it, that there's no need for you to share that opinion.

I think y'all should have a slap fight.

Great info, Jeepster!!
    NOLA
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    Options
    Thanks again for doing this. You always wonder if the higher priced stuff is actually worth it or if the product is just better marketed. 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Awesome. I absolutely DO care about lab tests. This was very cool. Thanks for taking the time to put it together. 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    I am sorry to make so many people mad and I apologize for the post.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Many people haven't purchased one yet and they'd like to see how it compares with other products.   I know measuring the performance of it's designed job relative to the competitor products seems illogical to some people.  But going out of your way to say something disparaging of the work someone put in to the test seems illogical to me.  I'm not mad, it just helps me understand the inexplicable in people.  So I should thank you. Thank you.
    Options
    Thanks for the input! I feel good for spending the extra money. Now we need find something else for you to test to keep your brain occupied
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I just ordered a Zojirushi thermos. I can load up my big Yeti cup with beer from my kegerator and this thermos and drink cold beer on my boat all day without a $400 cooler. This is good. That's 8.1667 beers. I can't drink that faster than it gets warm.

http://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-SF-CC20XA-Sports-Stainless-68-Ounce/dp/B0012SIML8
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Up front-I definitely enjoy the testing, data collection and analysis.  And I know the execution, assessment and posting "doesn't just happen".  I have used such info for recent purchases.  But I don't drink hot beverages (not even coffee after many years in the Navy) and do hammer beers at a rate that will not benefit from the info.  That said, such information makes one a more informed consumer and there are only upsides to the acquired knowledge.  Beers and bourbon on! Low Earth Orbit is at hand.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Hey, if I can drink that wounded soldier in the morning because it still has ice....that's a win!
    Options
    Very nice.  I appreciate your work.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • ChrisgrillsSTLMO
    Options

@Jeepster47 , great graph and information. What application did you use to generate the graph? Being a math teacher I am always looking for new ways to display data for my students. Thanks for doing this, will be asking for Y or Z gear for bday or holidays  =)

Cheers,

Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    I use Microsoft Excel ... copy the graph and paste into photoshop to turn it into a .jpg file.  I've also pasted it into a Power Point page and saved the page as a .jpg file ... not as clean as Photoshop though.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    We should call you "The Naked Jeepster"... ;)
    Options
    We should call you "The Naked Jeepster"... ;)
    Thanks for the compliment ... and the chuckle.

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Great Test. My rambler paid for itself only beach trip in June. 2 beers and can walk around, play bocce, go swim with kids, come back to umbrella and beer still cold. Hard to beat. Also, I drove to Charlotte for work Monday am. Had yeti with ice and them my coffee. When I got out of meetings at 5pm and got in truck there was still ice in the cup. It was 100 ambient so easily 120 in truck. Great product. Great test. Much more fun with beer!
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,085
    edited July 2015
    Options
    3 replicates or this is just an anecdote.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    It's almost as if you're in the auto manufacturing game. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    It's almost as if you're in the auto manufacturing game. 
    Once a development engineer always one ;)

I was going to ask for a measurement uncertainty analysis, but that seems over kill.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Are these CI s 90% or 95%?
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Are these CI s 90% or 95%?
    Sample of 1 makes it real hard, my guess is it is probably 95%, but if I had to lay wages I wouldn't go better than 70%.
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @theyolksonyou ... 100% ... 100% certain that the Yeti will keep my beer cold and my coffee hot.  100% certain that it's worth the expense ... even if it wasn't a present.

Just remember, I'm a shade tree engineer now.  Don't have to live through Juran training, ISO9000 certification, six sigma certification, Pacific Institute training, etc.  I'm now governed by TLAR!  So have all the fun you want ... come Monday, you guys have to go off to work ... and I ... well ... I don't have to.  Sweet!

• Jeepster47
    edited August 2015
    Options
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ...........

• Ozzie_Isaac
    edited August 2015
    Options
    @theyolksonyou at least we don't fall asleep at the keyboard.
  • Angus1978
    Angus1978 Posts: 390
    Options
    Thanks for this. Very fun post!!
    LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight