Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Rib question

Pooler
Pooler Posts: 34
bought some individually cut beef ribs (couldn't find racks). Just wondering if I should put rub on night before? Also debating about marinating in some kind of beer mixture. Good idea or bad idea? Also looking for cook times. 

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited July 2015
    The best beef ribs I've ever made I rubbed while the egg was settling in for a 250-275° cook.   I didn't sauce,wrap or braise. Just nekked smoke for about 6 1/2hrs. Beef is just one of those flavors that does well on its own with a little help from S&P and smoke.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,318
    edited July 2015
    First up-welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  As you will quickly learn with this thread, there are many ways to get there.  Key is to relax and have fun while sorting it all out.
    Just to confuse things-I use worcestershire as a binder and apply the dry rub the night before.  Never have marinated but that doesn't mean it won't work.  The key here is to try something, document it, remember the end result and then adjust from there.  All above FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Pooler
    Pooler Posts: 34
    Turned out ok, just rubbed ahead of time and let sit with rub on overnight. Not sure if I cooked them long enough or to long, was hoping for more fall apart. Also threw on some chicken thighs for the wife since she thought she might not like the ribs. Brother and sister in law enjoyed both so that's a good sign!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,318
    Looks great from here-best finish test is to probe with a toothpick-no resistance and you are there. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    I rub mine just prior to putting on the grill with some Montral Steak Seasoning. I set up for indirect with a water pan. I add onion, celery carrots in the pan. Make sure you don't have complete evaporation in the pan. Those veggies with the fat drippings will make an awesome side. The rib....low and slow until the meat is drawn up on the rib a minimum of one inch. You want fall off, continue till desired.  
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow