Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked turkey breast

Options
I'm not gonna lie. I love breasts. Of all types. Even turkey.

My good buddy and pitmaster Lance Kirkpatrick of Stiles Switch BBQ in Austin, TX recently inspired me. He me makes some amazing smoked turkey. He does this in the very simplistic Central TX manner - 50/50 salt pepper. I first tried his turkey at Red Dirt BBQ & Music Festival and was blown away. I love salt and pepper BBQ but honestly had never tried it on turkey. It's different. All that pepper sorta punches you right in the mouth. But I appreciate that style of BBQ and loved it. When Mrs Meat Church loved it as well I knew I had to start make it. 

You can get boneless, turkey breasts at the grocery store but I headed to Restaurant Depot to pick up some massive breasts (just like I like them). The breasts come 2 to a package and have the skin on. Each breasts was between 5-6 lbs. I have since cooked them with the skin on and without the skin. Honestly, I prefer them without skin since that seems more traditional and I could not tell a difference in taste. I thought the skin on might help protect the meat but I could tell no difference in the final product.

This called our our Holy Cow rub since it is is very central Texas rub. I applied the rub, let it "soak" in and went straight on the XL Egg indirect at 250. I prefer a lighter smoke wood for poultry despite typically smoking with post oak or hickory. Therefore I went with pecan. A fruit wood would be a nice choice as well. I smoked these until they were 165 in the thickest part of the meat. I never foiled. They cooked in the neighborhood of 3 hours, but I am so bad at remembering to time cooks. 

I gotta tell you, my family ATE this stuff up. My wife and kids can't get enough. My kids don't eat anything but popsicles and apple sauce. They kept asking me for more at dinner. I do have to scrape some of the rub off since they pepper is too much for a 3 year old. This also keeps well. You can slice for sandwiches or re-heat several times throughout the week. I HIGHLY recommend a Sunday cook for weekly meal prep.

I have also since tried this with our new Bacon BBQ rub which was also a big hit and easier for my toddlers to eat than Holy Cow. Enjoy some pics below.....

6 lb Turkey breast on the XL Egg near completion.

Straight off the BGE.

Final sliced product. Super juicy and tender.

6 lb turkey breast with Bacon BBQ applied and ready to go on the BGE.

Final product.

XL, Large, Mini-Max in Texas - Big Green Egg Competition Team 

Comments