Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Momma's Got A New Toy

Dredger
Dredger Posts: 1,468
Big thanks to Ceramic Grill Store for a super fast delivery of the GrillGrates. We'll be doing burgers this weekend and anxious to try them out. Any pointers from those using them?

Large BGE
Greenville, SC

Comments

• plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    they will melt.. someone posted a picture trying to nuke food a while back at 600+..
    Beaufort, SC
  • Rickl
    Rickl Posts: 23
    For beautiful grill marks, use them as shown in your picture.  However, I usually invert them and cook on the flat side for a perfect all-over sear.  You might try it both ways and see what you think.  Also, these things come to temp in about two minutes or less, unlike cast iron, which takes forever.  You obviously know that they weigh next to nothing and are virtually maintenance free.  I have bought a lot of accessories.  These by far get the most use.
  • tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    whats the purpose of these?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • Dredger
    Wow @plumbfir01, were those yours?? @tamu2009 they're supposed to prevent flair-ups, I think. I was researching cooking filet and thought this would be good. I saw this video and that's why I ordered them. He's cooking at around 600 degrees. He starts the cook at 5:29

https://youtu.be/OfIkj_IQq-0
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    NOoooooo i know alum has melting point but this guy didn't apparently... lol
    Beaufort, SC
  • Dredger
    @Rick1 thanks for the tip. I will use the flat side. We use grass fed beef and it is very lean, another reason we chose this system.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    How hard is it to NOT melt them?  About as hard as it is to keep your grate temp under 1200F.

NOoooooo i know alum has melting point but this guy didn't apparently... lol
    The melting point is 1000 degrees. They are made out of aircraft grade aluminum material. The company I work for uses the same material for specific Gov't project's we make parts for. It's quality.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Dredger said:
    @Rick1 thanks for the tip. I will use the flat side. We use grass fed beef and it is very lean, another reason we chose this system.
    @Dredger ... use them as intended, they work just fine.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I have heard good things about those.  Enjoy! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Dredger
    Thanks @SoCalTim we're probably going to need to do 3 rounds, so I may try them both ways and see which the crowd likes best. Cook is on Sunday. Pics on Monday. We usually partake of too many adult beverages to resize pics on computer on Sunday, lol.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    These work very well. Quick to temp and virtually free of any concern. Use both sides with no worries. Great addition, you will enjoy the heck out of them.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Dredger
    Thanks everyone for your input. That's what I love about this forum. Ask a question and promptly get an answer. Looking forward to having a lot of fun with this "toy".
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • volfan1
    volfan1 Posts: 164
    I can't believe you didn't go with Mangrates!!!  =)
    XL & Mini & knock off medium. Western North Carolina. Formerly Franklin, TN. Formerly in Palm Harbor, FL. 
  • hoffmand
    hoffmand Posts: 105
    Big fan of grillgrates for fatty foods like burgers.  Prevents flare-ups and sooty smoke.  I haven't used them smooth side up though.  Have to give that a try.
    Cedar Park, TX
  • Dredger
    I can't believe you didn't go with Mangrates!!! 

@volfan1 I seriously considered them. NOT.

@hoffmand, my son-in-law is a hamburger fiend. He'd rather have burgers than filet mignon, so we happily oblige.

Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    volfan1 said:
    I can't believe you didn't go with Mangrates!!!  =)
    I was going to chime in and mention they are fantastic but watch out for the trolls on here re-hashing some old hatred toward a similar product.  I did melt half of a set once but it was my own fault (and that's all I have to say about that on record).

I use them frequently and encourage you to experiment with them raised direct.  Makes a killer barrier for doing longer, lower chicken cooks where you want the skin crisp- Also makes for a nice segmentation of your grill to keep veggies or other foods that cook quicker off to the side so you can get all the goodies on the table at the same time without some of them getting cold.
    Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• Dredger
    Thanks @allsid . I appreciate that info. I have the adjustable rig, also, from Ceramic Grill Store. Thanks, again, Tom. Any recommendation as to which level would be best? I'm thinking on top of the sliding D grid. This is going to be such fun!
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Dredger
    edited August 2015
    We used the GrillGrates yesterday for burgers. They did a fine job. Didn't get a lot of pics, but I am happy with the results and grill marks. @Smokinpig, thanks for the post on the Arctic Cove misting fan. Although it was very humid, it helped a lot.

Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    So basically they make great grill marks and control fare ups?  If so I would just use my raised grid, because there are other things I need more, but maybe some day.  I do the same kind of cook on my XL with out the grill grates and come out with the same outcome.  I guess it keeps the meat from really getting charred?  If that's the case my kid wouldn't complain about the black stuff that he makes me cut off his steak.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Dredger
    Actually, the main reason we got them was for filets. We get our beef from a local farmer and his steaks are usually two inches thick and sometimes a little more. I was debating a half stone and a reverse sear, which we may still try, but this set-up seems very useful too. Sorry I didn't get a pic of the grill marks. Juggling too many balls in the kitchen and on the egg, so while I was inside tending to the deep fryer, "someone" helped by putting the cheese on the burgers to melt. I was going to take a pic before the cheese went on. Heck, I didn't even get to see them totally finished, just the first flip.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    I talked to Brad at Grill Grates about putting grill grates on the Spiders.  kinda already new the answer but thought I'd ask.  It was all of a 10 second discussion ---- not a good idea.

same reason we went to stainless drip pans.......

double same reason why I don''t recommend foiling stones and platesetters, folks never just wrap the top side........

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    edited August 2015
  • Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    tjv said:
    same reason we went to stainless drip pans.......

double same reason why I don''t recommend foiling stones and platesetters, folks never just wrap the top side........

Can you elaborate on that reason ?    I'm not tracking...