Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What have you used to Mod your BGE?

Options
What BGE or 3rd party tools or add-ons do you use for your BGE set-up? I see from some pictures posted here that some people don't use the Daisy Wheel. What have you changed or added to your BGE to make it the ultimate cooking machine and can't live with out now?
Large BGE, smoking in the southwest.

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Www.ceramicgrillstore.com

adjustable rig
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    nsauser  There's a ton, where to start. Maybe you could post what you want to do. I'm sure someone could point you in the right direction. Tim 
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    There's a lot out there. So far, I've bought the PS Woo 2 for my XL. Great addition. :)
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I would say the little tools such as the claw, Ott grid lifter, kick ash basket, various starting torches and controllers are the big game changers for me. The rest is all gravy. Plate setter vs AR? Both work, AR gives you more options and space. I like my Smokeware cap a lot, but it is not at all a required item. You really can't go wrong. Your billfold be your guide. 
  • nsauser
    nsauser Posts: 6
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    nsauser  There's a ton, where to start. Maybe you could post what you want to do. I'm sure someone could point you in the right direction. Tim 
    I understand there's a lot that's why I was just looking for what folks thought was the coolest or most functional upgrade or tool they use.

I suppose if I had one thing to upgrade, I feel like my stock Daisy wheel isn't very efficient.
    Large BGE, smoking in the southwest.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Not glamorous but very functional was switching to a Rutland gasket 11 years ago.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • CDPlaya
    CDPlaya Posts: 81
    Options
    I just purchaed a expanded metal ring to hold the lump charcoal away from the air holes and another ring that sits on the plate setter to raise the cooking surface up 3.25"'s . 

My my egg is still in the box so I can't tell you if it works...lol
    "One Job at a Time, One Day at a Time" 
    " Stop and smell the Roses " Life is too Short
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    Woo 2 and Smokeware cap
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    I use thirdeye's custom grate lifter on every single cook.  Cannot imagine not having this:

http://thirdeyeq.com/Custom_Tools.html

Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    edited July 2015
    Options
    @nauser- Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  My suggestion would be to go slow with the accessorizing until you have cooked with your BGE for a while then sort out what you need.  There is an extensive list of after-market things for the BGE, some of which have staying power and some of which are the "flavor of the month".  
    For me, the basics are some way to go indirect-a heat deflector between the lump and grid, a raised grid option, and a good instant read thermo if your main style is hot and fast.  If you are looking at low& slow than some rig that enables you to monitor the internal meat temp outside the BGE.  The preceding could work for you for the duration but the "gotta have" forum vortex will get to you in good time.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    Www.ceramicgrillstore.com

adjustable rig

++1   Best thing you can buy hands down
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options
    RRP said:
    Not glamorous but very functional was switching to a Rutland gasket 11 years ago.
    This is the second best thing you can buy  And probably the most affordable!    
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I added this device to try to modify my egg to cook better with subatomic particles and help with the bad smoke....

Options

The first thing I bought after getting my egg was a bigger freezer.  I'm a meat hoarder now.

Clinton, Iowa
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    nsauser said:
    SoCalTim said:
    I understand there's a lot that's why I was just looking for what folks thought was the coolest or most functional upgrade or tool they use.

I suppose if I had one thing to upgrade, I feel like my stock Daisy wheel isn't very efficient.
    I actually really like my KAB ... for me, the Daisy Wheel is part of the BGE experience, once I mastered it everything else just came together for me.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    bo31210 said:
    RRP said:
    This is the second best thing you can buy  And probably the most affordable!    
    Thanks - I figured my suggestion was too subtle to a newbie, but in time he'll learn about gasket issues! :o
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Regarding the DFMT-here's the key to the kingdom:
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm Item # 47- BTW the preceding site likely has an answer to almost all of your ceramic cooking questions.  Give it a look sometime.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    edited July 2015
    Options
    If your egg is still in the box do yourself a favor and go ahead and get a gasket from @RRP.  It will save you the work of taking the factory one off once it's toast.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• brimee
    brimee Posts: 127
    Options
    four ss bolts to hold my grid up the same height my plate setter would hold it up...
    Brian
    Fairview, Texas
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Rockwood
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • sctdg
    sctdg Posts: 301
    Options
    Woo ,Smokeware cap ,Kickash basket . All must haves .Also good music like the Mavericks and Townes Van Zandt help with your grillings needs too.