Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cecil's dead, man. Cecil is dead.

Options
nolaegghead
nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    But I thought it was a legal hunt  :s

Dumbass
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    If you find yourself shinning at night, actively luring off property, and smashing a GPS collar you may want to take a step back and question how you are choosing to live your life.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    That Twitter feed is painfully funny. 
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    I hate people that get their rocks off killing endangered species.  I don't really have anything witty to say, or have any elegant points to make.  I just really wish people like this would fall off cliffs. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    If you can't, or won't, cook it and eat it, there is no reason on earth to kill it!
    :angry:
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    And the Douche of the Year award goes to...I'll give you a hint, he's a Dentist.
    Gregg
    Large BGE Owner since December of 2013!
    Marietta, GA
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    "I needed a tooth extracted so he shot me in the neck with a cross bow" -yelp
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,752
    Options
    Well im not a hunter....but i do need a new fur icefishing hat =) it would match the cecil smelt lure in my fishing box.  i dont think 10 years is enough for guys like this
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    henapple said:
    People are more upset over a dead lion than Planned Parenthood selling body parts.... Smh
    Not you, apparently.  
    Options
    jaydub58 said:
    If you can't, or won't, cook it and eat it, there is no reason on earth to kill it!
    :angry:

That point could be argued.

Sometimes, its actually beneficial to the species to cull the herd. If a male of a species is past mating age and is driving off, hurting or killing younger males that could be mating and propagating the species, then eliminating that male is actually beneficial to the herd.

That's just an example that comes to the top of my head, I'm sure there are more. Haven't paid any attention to that news story. Don't really care to, just playing devil's advocate. ;)

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• GATraveller
    edited July 2015
    Options
    As a hunter I never have understood the joy in killing a lion, elephant, giraffe or bear. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Just watched that Jimmy Kimmel video that was posted. That is bad. Pretty **** thing to do.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Ozzie_Isaac
    edited July 2015
    Options
    btw, like the Pulp Fiction refrence, although perhaps a better movie quote ...

"I have also killed a lion .... I used my hands"
    -Mahina
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    A-Hole . . very sad.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Don't flame me for this I am just asking and if I am wrong so be it, but if im right..........

I guess Im going to be the outcast here and ask what did he do wrong?
    He had all the permits for the kill. He hired a guide to take him hunting. If the kill was done improperly, isn't it the fault of the guide? the guides should be taking the brunt of this fiasco.

I also don't believe it is right that all the newscasters either in print or social media have put this guys name out there for the world to see! Showing pics of his actual business etc. Now they have endangered the lives of his kids, wife, and extended/immediate family. If a mistake was made over the killing of a lion which if it was done by the book, it isn't worth his livelihood and the well being of his family.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    @hondabbq ...this guy hunts enough to know the rules better than his guides.
    He also knew it was not right, and he knew exactly what animal he shot.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • GATraveller
    Options
    I think some people in this world think we should hunt the rich. 

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,752
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    Don't flame me for this I am just asking and if I am wrong so be it, but if im right..........

I guess Im going to be the outcast here and ask what did he do wrong?
    He had all the permits for the kill. He hired a guide to take him hunting. If the kill was done improperly, isn't it the fault of the guide? the guides should be taking the brunt of this fiasco.

I also don't believe it is right that all the newscasters either in print or social media have put this guys name out there for the world to see! Showing pics of his actual business etc. Now they have endangered the lives of his kids, wife, and extended/immediate family. If a mistake was made over the killing of a lion which if it was done by the book, it isn't worth his livelihood and the well being of his family.
    big game tracking collars are big items, hard not to see when taking a shot, also when your on a hunt you know whats ethical or not, regardless of right, wrong, the law etc. no way he didnt know. i know maine takes it pretty serious, your busted if you shine an animal, gun in your possession or not, its not ethical. and where ever you hunt, you need to know the law even with a guide, its your responsibility
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I think some people in this world think we should hunt the rich. 
    The Most Dangerous Game would be pretty cool in real life. Do you know any Cossack Aristocrats? I know a big game hunter.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Just a detail point.  Lions are not endangered, but they are at risk.

5 endangered elephants were killed by poachers on Monday.
  • DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    texaswig said:
    I grew up hunting and was always taught if your not gonna eat it......... don't kill it. 
    Word.
    Gregg
    Large BGE Owner since December of 2013!
    Marietta, GA