Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dinner for Doc

Options
Tonight I made Italian sausage sandwiches. Doc likes spicy, so his are the ones with the peppers. The sausages were great and the roasted peppers were wonderful. We will be making those again. I put mine back on the grill to melt the cheese. The bread picked up a tiny bit of smoke.

I got a couple of old rusty and cobwebbed cast iron skillets from my mom's basement last year and cleaned the biggest one yesterday. I carefully seasoned it. Today I filled it with an apple crisp. It wasn't to hard to  make and the taste was to die for. It had just the slightest bit of smoke to the apples. I rested it for a half hour and the top was crunchy. The whole thing was warm when I added the ice cream. Doc hasn't tried desserts but he enjoyed this. He says we should make one to serve as breakfast for company sometime.

Comments

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Great looking meal! Doc is a lucky man. I am glad to see your membership here was finally approved! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Looks great from here!
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Welcome mrs doc!
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I'd think about signing up for some kind of procedure if I could get my wife to cook like that. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Welcome Mrs. Doc
    Grub looks delicious!  The Applecrisp is stellar!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Welcome Mrs. Doc
    Grub looks delicious!  The Applecrisp is stellar!
    OMG warm with vanilla ice cream.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Darned page did not load pics correctly.  It says some pics are already loaded that you are not seeing.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Hmmm ... Mrs. Doc, you don't happen to make house calls do you?

Welcome to the forum ... great first post.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Darned page did not load pics correctly.  It says some pics are already loaded that you are not seeing.

I've been getting that message. Pisses me off. I've had some really witty memes that I couldn't post. 
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options

I've been getting that message. Pisses me off. I've had some really witty memes that I couldn't post. 
    Hmmm ... think they've got the "drunk" filter working finally?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• theyolksonyou
    Options

Hmmm ... think they've got the "drunk" filter working finally?
    I would be offended, but you may be on to something. 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Nice job, I see where Doc got his cooking skills.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Sookie
    Sookie Posts: 335
    Options

Mrs. Doc out in full force!  Great job on your cook!  

• Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Italian sausage with onions and peppers are outstanding on the egg.  You have a fine looking meal there.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    That looks tremendous Mrs. Doc. 
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • Doc's_Spouse
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement, everyone!
  • bill37
    bill37 Posts: 127
    Options
    How about the recipe for the applecrisp?   
  • Doc's_Spouse
    Options
    The recipe for the apple crisp was from chow.com (easy apple crisp).  I used an 11 inch cast iron skillet and coated it with butter flavored crisco instead of real butter. I used 6 extra large Granny Smith apples instead of medium. I doubled all the other ingredients in the recipe except the salt. I also added a teaspoon of ground cloves. I think I used 8 teaspoons of sugar in the apples. They were very tart. Hope this helps as I guessed to adjust for my pan size.  Good luck. It was easy and delicious.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    The recipe for the apple crisp was from chow.com (easy apple crisp).  I used an 11 inch cast iron skillet and coated it with butter flavored crisco instead of real butter. I used 6 extra large Granny Smith apples instead of medium. I doubled all the other ingredients in the recipe except the salt. I also added a teaspoon of ground cloves. I think I used 8 teaspoons of sugar in the apples. They were very tart. Hope this helps as I guessed to adjust for my pan size.  Good luck. It was easy and delicious.
    Thank you.  I will be trying this.  Looks great.
    NOLA
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Great meal!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Looks great- hope Doc's recovery is going well

Greensboro, NC
  • bill37
    bill37 Posts: 127
    Options
    Thank you for the recipe
  • Sonny3
    Sonny3 Posts: 455
    Options
    Definitely will be printing out the Apple Crisp recipe.  It looks killer.  Nicely done and thanks for posting it.  Now I am off to the frig to try and find something I can warm up to put ice cream on.
    Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.