Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilled Salmon and Bacon Wrapped Gulf Shrimp

Options
I posted a week or so ago questioning if anyone had used a grill mat to cook seafood with. Took awhile for me to get this fixed and finished, but here are the results of my cook using a kobe mat. There are some pro's and con's of the mat, but I figure I may post that separately on a different post. Enjoy the photo's below.

Cooking for others enjoyment is not only a passionate reward, it's one of the greatest ways to use what God has given me. Wilmore, KY MBG, LBGE

Comments

• humbleprisoner
    Options

Cooking for others enjoyment is not only a passionate reward, it's one of the greatest ways to use what God has given me. Wilmore, KY MBG, LBGE

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    the food looks great!  can you tell us more about the mat?  how is cleanup?
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • humbleprisoner
    Options
    So the mat...well, it's definitely able to withstand some high heat, I think my egg spiked to about 500 when I turned my back and forgot to shut the vent as much as it needed. Cleanup was somewhat easy, be warned if you have any grease on that that thing when you take it off to be be cautious, I had some from the salmon drip accidentally and had a small grease fire flare up. 

This does not seem to be a mat that you can just throw in the dishwasher after use and have it  clean as new. I had to do a pretty good amount of scrubbing to get off stuff, then threw it in the dishwasher. 

The mat sadly messed up my temperature gauge readings, so while my gauge was reading about 250, my grate was about 350-375. I have a LBGE and it definitely almost swallows the entire cooking surface of the grate. 

Would love to know if others have had any similar experiences with these kind of products or if mine is a "unique" experience. 

• midwestsmoker
    Options
    Love me anything wrapped in bacon, bacon, bacon. I'd get it myself but I don't have thumbs.