Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hot Legs of a Different Kind

Options
Mattman3969
Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
edited July 2015 in EggHead Forum
 I used to eat fried frog legs like they were going out of style and I've been craving them lately but I don't  eat much fried food anymore.   No problem.  Let's make me like hot wings.  

Rubbed with Swamp Venom and a little extra cayenne. Cooked at 425 raised and flipped at about the 5 min mark, glazed with a sriracha and sweet chili sauce mix.  Pulled at 160°.  

And plated with some celery and blue cheese dressing. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.

Comments

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
    Options
    Now this is something we don't see here often!  Awesome.  I've only had them once.   I'd hit that.  ;)
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Ha!  We were just talking about frog legs while on vacation. As my son is eating his first ever escargot he pipes up with frog legs are on his to try list!

i haven't had them in 30+ yrs. guess I'll have to remedy that. 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Looks solid from here!
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Very nice!!  Love 'em.  Nice cook!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Roadpuke0
    Roadpuke0 Posts: 529
    Options
    Love the frog legs. When there done rite they are a enjoyable meal. Nice cook brother.
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin 
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    Thanks to all above!! 

Fried frog legs taste and have similar texture to chicken. At least in my experiences.  These did not   The taste was very fresh and very aquatic tasting, if that makes sense. Was not what I was expecting but it was a good surprise.   They do cook quick.  

analyze adapt overcome

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Excellent cook! Always great to see something different. I haven't had frogs legs in years. Where did you find them?
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Very Ribbiting.  ;)

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Mattman3969
    Brother, this is what I like to see. The frog legs got my attention but you have my respect. This really brings back fond memories for me. From a very young age all the way up into my forties, I spent many a nights on the river with a spot light in one hand and a gig in the other. I love to gig frogs as much as I love to eat them. The food looks outstanding. For a job well done, this easily earns the double seal my friend:

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    @Mattman3969
    Here is a friendly tip my friend. If you ever get the chance, marinade your frog legs in whole milk for at least 4 hours. Preferably 8-12 hours if time allows. Some of the giant bulls and grunters can be a little strong or wild tasting. The milk will remove this taste and smooth them out. If you use the milk marinade, pull them between 150-155 internal and see what you think. Again, great cook brother. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    Mmmmm.... Kermit looks tasty
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    blind99 said:
    Excellent cook! Always great to see something different. I haven't had frogs legs in years. Where did you find them?
    Actually went in krogers to get some yellow fin & walked out with frog legs.  Spur of the moment & was something different.  

analyze adapt overcome

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    SGH said:
    @Mattman3969
    Here is a friendly tip my friend. If you ever get the chance, marinade your frog legs in whole milk for at least 4 hours. Preferably 8-12 hours if time allows. Some of the giant bulls and grunters can be a little strong or wild tasting. The milk will remove this taste and smooth them out. If you use the milk marinade, pull them between 150-155 internal and see what you think. Again, great cook brother. 
    Here's your next task. Hop to it!
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Awesome Matt! We served frog legs at the restaurant,  but only fried. I have been gigging a few times and was a lot of fun. 

@SGH,  we always used buttermilk , why the whole milk?
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • SGH
    Options

@SGH,  we always used buttermilk , why the whole milk?
    Both work equally well for taming the gamey taste. However the whole milk adds a creamy smooth type taste to frogs, fish and shrimp. I use it religiously  brother Tar. 

Status- Standing by.

• Mattman3969
    Options
    SGH said:
    @Mattman3969
    Brother, this is what I like to see. The frog legs got my attention but you have my respect. This really brings back fond memories for me. From a very young age all the way up into my forties, I spent many a nights on the river with a spot light in one hand and a gig in the other. I love to gig frogs as much as I love to eat them. The food looks outstanding. For a job well done, this easily earns the double seal my friend:

I am blown away by the "double seal".  Thank you sir!!!

analyze adapt overcome

• SGH
    Options
    I am blown away by the "double seal".  Thank you sir!!!
    You earned it my friend. And you are welcome brother. 

Status- Standing by.