Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Poll - Favorite Rubs and uses for them?

JQuinn
JQuinn Posts: 44
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I would like to know what rubs people use and on what?
Do you make your own and please share. thanks JQuinn

Comments

• Pick
    Pick Posts: 36
    JQuinn,
    For my Pork Butts I smear w/ some type of yellow mustard, and then rub anywhere from 4 hours to 24 hours, I tend to use a lot of rosemary on pork, I will then add thyme, ground peppercorns, brown sugar, onion powder, garlic, paprika, ground mustard seeds, ground cumin (a little goes a long way), and some Cavendars Greek Seasoning, and whatever else sounds good but mostly these above Items, I for some reason tend to avoid alot of salt, but if I do rub with salt I will grind Kosher salt. In my opinion rosemary is a must with pork. I don't cook alot of ribs so I'm not a good person to listen to on those, Good Luck and looking foward to everyones posts, Later Jason

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,664
    JQuinn,
    ken stones witchy red for burgers, need to order some soon for the summer. any of the dizzy pig rubs for anything, they are well rounded and most of the rubs do well on a variety of meats and vegatables.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GenesGrill
    GenesGrill Posts: 308
    JQuinn,
    I'm probably the only one on here that uses it, but I really like Paul Prudhomme's poultry seasoning on my chicken and cornish hens.....

• bbqwizard
    bbqwizard Posts: 119
    GenesGrill,[p]
    I like all of his seasoning's.[p]phillip

• GenesGrill
    GenesGrill Posts: 308
    bbqwizard,
    His blackening seasoning is the only one I use when I blacken my catfish filets on an iron skillet using my propane fish cooker.....cook for two minutes on each side....

• Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    JQuinn, [p]1) Dizzy Pig Cow Lick on all Beef(after a balsamic vinegar splash)
    2) Dizzy Pig Jamaican Fire Walk or Swamp Venom on chicken wings (tonight baby)
    3) Ken Stone's EZ Life Rub on stuffed peppers and mushrooms. Awesome flavor and aroma.
    4) Balsamic vinegar, Kosher salt and fresh black pepper on steak if I'm out of Cow Lick
    5) Cholula Chili Lime seasoning on most fish.[p]I made my own rubs until I found out Ken and Chris could do it better and cheaper than me. I used to brew my own beer until I found out so many microbrews like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale could do it better(usually) and cheaper(always) than me!![p]Scott

• JQuinn,[p] - All of the Dizzy Pig rubs.
    - Ken Stones rubs, Which by the way I need to order some bottles.
    - Jungle rub from Double R BBQ.
    - Montreal Steak seasoning.
    - Durkee Grill Creations Citrus Grill
    - Tones Lime pepper[p]E

• bbqwizard
    bbqwizard Posts: 119
    GenesGrill,[p]When I was in culinary school, I had the great pleasure of talking with him for a while. What a great guy, with A LOT of info. Sure inspired me to get mixing (spices that is, marinades too). [p]phillip

• Borders,
    Funny, i found the same thing with rubs and with home brew. After the allure of the "i made it myself" wore off, the convenience of shaking it out of the bottle, or popping the top became the better value.[p]That being said, Dizzy Pig Swamp venom is my fave on pork and chicken, Cowlick on beef.

• Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    currdog, Hey, maybe we're growing up......Nahhhhhhhhhhh!
    Cheers, Scott

• I really like Reilly's Seasoning made in Pittsfield, IL ,great on chicken and poultry, comes in a cajun blend which is also good. Exclibur out of Pekin, IL makes a decent line of rubs and maridnades also.

• Eroc
    Eroc Posts: 53
    Pick,[p]I use alot of John Henry's rubs, and a few I make based on Paul Kirk's recipes from his book.
    Being from Maryland, Old Bay works it's way into a few too.