Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Make sure you keep your BBQ smoke on your property...

Options
Augusta, GA
#BGETEAMGREEN member
MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7

Comments

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    chrisc133 said:
    Thankfully no. My neighbors also grill so we are all happy! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    Doesn't the bylaw refer to Commercial Cookers, as opposed to private residences?  The gentleman with the clip board is over reaching.
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    My neighbor owns a BBQ joint.  =)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    thats not bbq smoke, thats the kids pulling my finger =) that may have been my response
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • busmania
    busmania Posts: 414
    Options
    Crazy. I have a feeling this will only get worse in the coming years. One time my neighbor was clearly "exaggerating" her cough. I try to keep it respectful with them in terms of smoke (we get along fine) but the wind is always blowing their direction, which also happens to be the same side that all of their windows are on. She finally asked me the other day to text "when im going to light a fire" so she can close her windows. I do genuinely feel bad though. Wish I lived in the country!
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    My neighbors love it when I do a long cook.  They say it's great to wake up to BBQ smoke. I guess the smell is better than waking up to coffee.  Suck it foldgers. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    I feel bad, new neighbor's house is a few feet away from mine, and I've got the egg on pretty frequently.  so far no complaints but I should probably take some food over soon.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Austin is dealing with the same thing. They are starting to tell BBQ joints to either stop smoking on site or add scrubbers to remove the smoke. Just talking right now but it could end up being an issue later.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• jimithing
    jimithing Posts: 254
    Options
    That video is a small snapshot so it's hard to tell what's going on there.  If they're running a business from their house and have a smoker going every day then I can see where a neighbor might get upset.  But if they're smoking something a couple times a week for their immediate family then I can't see any reason for the neighbor to get upset.  Living in close proximity to neighbors means you need to be respectful of your neighbors and they need to be respectful of you.  And any official from the city or neighborhood needs to apply some common sense.

I, unfortunately, have one of those neighbors who isn't respectful.  They play music in their backyard 5+ days a week.  It's loud enough that I can hear it inside my house with my TV on.  Not cool.  I tried to talk to them about it a few times and the guy is just a drunk douchebag who think he should be able to do whatever he wants whenever he wants.  We've called the cops on them a few times but they go right back to doing it in a day or two.  The last cop basically said we can keep calling and they'll keep coming out but the only way to really stop it is to document it over and over again and then take them to civil court.  Only then can the cops fine him or whatever.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    blind99 said:
    I feel bad, new neighbor's house is a few feet away from mine, and I've got the egg on pretty frequently.  so far no complaints but I should probably take some food over soon.
    i would have already attacked, shrimp appetizers with wine or sangria, pizza and cold beers, always good to throw the new neighbors off balance ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    Here's the earlier thread on this: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1798032
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • HoustonEgger
    HoustonEgger Posts: 616
    Options
    blind99 said:
    Same here - within a month of moving into the new house, I took food over to the neighbors. Turns out they have an egg too - so now we're having weekend cooking contests
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    Options
    jimithing said:
    That video is a small snapshot so it's hard to tell what's going on there.  If they're running a business from their house and have a smoker going every day then I can see where a neighbor might get upset.  But if they're smoking something a couple times a week for their immediate family then I can't see any reason for the neighbor to get upset.  Living in close proximity to neighbors means you need to be respectful of your neighbors and they need to be respectful of you.  And any official from the city or neighborhood needs to apply some common sense.

I, unfortunately, have one of those neighbors who isn't respectful.  They play music in their backyard 5+ days a week.  It's loud enough that I can hear it inside my house with my TV on.  Not cool.  I tried to talk to them about it a few times and the guy is just a drunk douchebag who think he should be able to do whatever he wants whenever he wants.  We've called the cops on them a few times but they go right back to doing it in a day or two.  The last cop basically said we can keep calling and they'll keep coming out but the only way to really stop it is to document it over and over again and then take them to civil court.  Only then can the cops fine him or whatever.
    I have one of those neighbors too.  When I first moved into my house, he would blast his outdoor TV so loud that it would wake me up in the mornings--with all doors and windows closed.  I worked through the POA and they spoke to him several times.  He was grumpy about it--but finally purchased some wireless headphones and my life is so much better.  No complaints here about the BBQ smoke though...
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    My property is large enough that if the neighbor's complain about smoke, they better send the fire department because the house is on fire. I have had them call the FD before saying my house was on fire. I had a bonfire going burning off some brush I had piled up. City told me I can't do that anymore and it' against city ordinance. It was done burning by the time the cops and the FD showed up.

I've smelled the neighbor's smoking meat at night before. It smells good and makes me hungry. Only thing I would complain about is that they didn't invite me over for dinner the next day.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    We ride the golf car around town every afternoon and at least once or twice a week I pick up the smell of apple wood. It smells wonderful. I haven't been able to trace the source though. 

I would love to find it. I have a grilling buddy nearby, and he just doesn't know it yet! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's