Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Outdoor island/kitchen

Options
Finally done after 6 months. Did it myself (meaning no sub-contractors) on the weekends for the most part. The majority of the build was done off site in 4 sections then assembled on site. Very pleased with it but I would never do it again. A lot of work. 

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    That's awesome!
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    That's awesome!
    +1

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    Wow.  Just wow.  Great job man. I'm super jealous. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • MrWigan
    MrWigan Posts: 104
    Options

Outstanding!!!

Large BGE, Mini Max

Wigan, UK

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Very impressive and all done by yourself! Obviously you possess more skills than the average bear!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • HoustonEgger
    HoustonEgger Posts: 616
    Options
    Wow - awesome work!
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • RiverDoc
    RiverDoc Posts: 572
    Options
    Incredible! 
    -Todd
    Franklin N.C. LBGE and a SBGE
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Unbelievable. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    That's one serious outdoor cooking space 
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    Options
    Amazing!

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

That sir is some nice work. Congrats.

What did you use for the base platforms? Any cross bracing in them?

And what did you use for the toe kick?

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • midwestsmoker
    Options
    Hotch, this may answer your questions. It's just metal channel with the Hadi screwed down
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Looks great. . I can't wait to start planning my backyard. 
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

Thanks, I have a pavilion in the works but was unclear on what I wanted for the lower cabinets and counter tops area. All the builders want to do block. But I think it is to much bulk and wasted floor space.

You just made

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • midwestsmoker
    Options
    Hotch, I agree. My original plan was to use landscaping block but when it grew from 1 egg to 3 eggs I decided to take more time with it. 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    What a great place to cook. Awesome! 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    edited July 2015
    Options

That is outstanding...OUTSTANDING!!

I LOVE YOUR CONCRETE COUNTERTOPS!! I SHOULD'VE CALLED YOU TO COME AND FABRICATE SOME FOR ME!!! 

It bears many resemblances to what I did here...(and probably like you),

I spent a lot of time thinking about what I wanted to do before I did it, but even so... once you get into it you find out things you weren't thinking!
    There is a lot of satisfaction in having designed it yourself!!

Kudos to you for doing the work yourself!! I was able to do some of mine, myself.... but the masonry... concrete work...and roof/framing.., I turned over to the pros!
    I'm way too old to be up on a ladder...swinging a hammer that's for sure ;)

I have a stamped overlay to pour on the concrete, and some landscaping projects to complete (as soon as it cools off some)... only 100 here today ;)

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Thecoiman
    Thecoiman Posts: 134
    Options
    All can say is wow!! Very impressive.
    Garland, TX

2 Large, 1 Mini Max, 1 Mini
  • ob
    ob Posts: 17
    Options
    That is beautiful, awesome job Midwestsmoker!!!!!  I want to do something similar.  I have a 14 x14 concrete pad with electric, water and septic under the concrete to eventully do an outdoor kitchen.  But first I need a cover and the one you have is exactly the size, shape and materials I am wanting.  Would you happen to have the plans for your cedar pavilion. Thanks for your time.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Wow, that makes even my egg area jealous!!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Wow... and wow some more! You have a beautiful eggdom. Those countertops look amazing. 

I thought of building an outdoor kitchen using metal stud like you did, and so have some questions:

1. What brand/kind of stud did you use? G90?

2. Where did you source the studs from? Were they available at Lowes/HD or did you have to go to a supply house?

3. What kind of screws did you use to build the frame?

4. What did you use to attach the stone to the hardibacker?

Thanks  :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    edited July 2015
    Options
    ob said:
    That is beautiful, awesome job Midwestsmoker!!!!!  I want to do something similar.  I have a 14 x14 concrete pad with electric, water and septic under the concrete to eventully do an outdoor kitchen.  But first I need a cover and the one you have is exactly the size, shape and materials I am wanting.  Would you happen to have the plans for your cedar pavilion. Thanks for your time.
    I can't say for sure ....but I spent a lot of time looking at the prefab pergolas and outdoor patio covers at Home Depot.
    These appear to be them... or something just like them, He'll have to jump in here and say one way or the other as I could be wrong?
    They look to be well made and you can install them yourself or have them installed by the manufacturer.
    I thought they were a good value for the money... and come in many sizes and configurations...  but in the end I chose to go another route.

As far as the rest of it... it certainly isn't prefab and its not Home Depot!!
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • byrne092
    byrne092 Posts: 746
    Options
    That is VERY cool, I don't think I would want to ever be inside, much less cook anything inside....Outstanding job!
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    That looks great. Very nicely done.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    edited July 2015
    Options
    AWESOME!  SWEET! WOW!  Man that is what I would love to build some day.  Yes, Outstanding workmanship!  The slid out shelves are interesting.  
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Awesome!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• ChrisgrillsSTLMO
    Options
    I am standing up at work and slow clapping it. That is brilliant work!
    Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Most impressive set-up.  And echoing above, what a skill set.  Congrats on the entire project.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • midwestsmoker
    Options
    Chubby said:

That is outstanding...OUTSTANDING!!

I LOVE YOUR CONCRETE COUNTERTOPS!! I SHOULD'VE CALLED YOU TO COME AND FABRICATE SOME FOR ME!!! 

It bears many resemblances to what I did here...(and probably like you),

I spent a lot of time thinking about what I wanted to do before I did it, but even so... once you get into it you find out things you weren't thinking!
    There is a lot of satisfaction in having designed it yourself!!

Kudos to you for doing the work yourself!! I was able to do some of mine, myself.... but the masonry... concrete work...and roof/framing.., I turned over to the pros!
    I'm way too old to be up on a ladder...swinging a hammer that's for sure ;)

I have a stamped overlay to pour on the concrete, and some landscaping projects to complete (as soon as it cools off some)... only 100 here today ;)

Very impressive, you have a lot of space in yours and yes very satisfying planning and accomplishing it. Fortunately I have 30 + years of construction experience, failed to mention that. 
  • midwestsmoker
    Options
    ob said:
    Ob, sorry no plans. When I bought it they said if they weren't installing it they weren't supplying construction plans or directions. That was fine with me.