Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Weekend with the Egg (Obnoxiously Large Images Inside)

Options
The day finally came! Picked up the egg Saturday from EggFest.  We found the best method was to strap it in to the back of our trailer. 

Brought it home and got the fire started pretty easily with a 7 dollar heat gun from Harbor Freight. 

Bought a 9# butt from Sam's Club. Had trouble getting the temperature down (didn't want to snuff the coals out on my first try), so the temp was about 280-300 for most of the cook.  Woke up around 530AM to check on it (was initially shooting to pull it off around 11-12 but due to to the higher temp, I was anticipating it being done sooner) and internal temp was around 201. Temperature probe went in and out easily so I pulled it off. 

Since it was earlier than originally anticipated, we had to call an audible with our meal plan.

Delicious. 

Smoked some wings for dinner.  Learned some valuable lessons (more heat towards the back, be wary of items not completely blocked by platesetter).

Both were great. Cannot wait for the next cook!

Comments

• BIll-W221
    BIll-W221 Posts: 279
    Options
    Nice call on the breakfast, i'm going to have to give that a try !!!! On the wings I get better skin without the ps. With the ps it was rubbery but direct got it a nice little crunch. But i'm still new at this so ...
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Good start!

catch that temp on the way up for those L&S cooks. As you learned, it takes a while to cool down. 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Nice work. Www.ceramicgrillstore.com has some great after market gear. The AR with an oval stone is great for the comment you mentioned about the PS. Welcome aboard
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Great grubb.  As yolk mentioned, you have to get your temps on the way up.  Once you over shoot, it's going to take a while to get it back down.  I'm not sure what temp you were shooting for on your butt, but I usually don't worry about 15-25 degrees.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Nice 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Congratulations on your new Egg and good job with your first few cooks. The way you look at food will never be the same. Feel free to ask any questions you might have. People love to help around here. Well...most do.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    n00b said:

...  be wary of items not completely blocked by platesetter ...
    That includes the dome thermometer.

Some folks install the plate setter with one of the legs towards the back to help shield the food from the higher temps.  The negative to that is that then the dome thermometer can be exposed to the burning lump ... it then tends to read much higher than the temp at grill level.

Some folks install the plate setter with one of the legs towards the front to shield the dome thermometer from the burning lump ... grill level and dome temp tend to be closer.  The down side is, as you noticed, that food at the rear tends to cook faster.  That works great for spatch cocked chicken ... with legs at the rear they tend to reach the necessarily higher temp before the breasts are overcooked.

In your picture, it looks like you split the difference ... all the down sides and none of the upsides with that configuration.  There are arguments for both fore and aft placement of one of the plate setter legs.  Experiment a little and then consider picking one so that the heat flow within your egg is more consistent from cook to cook.  Or, use both, but then you'll know what's happening within the egg.

Welcome and enjoy the fun ... looks like you're off to a great start.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Great start right there. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Welcome.  Great looking cook. Great bunch of folks here as you've already seen, lots of info /tips/ and tricks.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !!