Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dang it's hot!

Options
It's 100 degrees and heat index says 102. I tried to smoke  a slab of baby backs on my LBGE this afternoon but I think all I did was bake them. The egg shot up to 225 fast so I had to all but shut it completely down. It settled down to 230-240 but I didn't get any smoke. I think it is so hot that so little lump and wood was needed I might as well have cooked in the oven. Oh well, lesson learned. It wasn't a total loss since the ribs were perfectly cooked, just not what I would call smoked. We are eating them in a few minutes. Thanks for letting me vent.

San Angelo, texas

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I feel your pain. We have been in the very high 90's and a little over a 100 degrees for about 6 weeks now. The nights aren't much relief due to the extremely high humidity. We caught a little break today. Finally got some much needed rain that cooled things down a bit. But it's forecasted to be back up near 100 degrees tomorrow. What's really sad is our 2 hottest months are still ahead of us down here on the coast. August and the first couple of weeks of September is usually beyond brutal. Again, I feel your pain brother. Dixie is burning with no relief until mid to late October. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I feel ya. We've been at 97-99 for a while with a heat index of like 106. I'd love for a cold front to come through and drop it down into the 70s.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    No friggin pain here-I would and have enjoyed 100*F + (and will) over the alternative-the ground hog waxed us up really well this last winter.  For me-"It can never be too hot".  Now I'm on the front end of the global warming gig...who knows how it plays!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • dayzed&confused
    Options
    Well it wasn't all that bad. Had a nice smoke ring and flavor. I guess if I don't see smoke it doesn't mean that there ain't none. And if you don't know what I just said then I guess you ain't from around here.

San Angelo, texas
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @lousubcap - I'm with you there. After the last 2 winters, I will never complain about summer heat. We have a heat wave headed our way this week and I don't care.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @dayzed&confused I'm cooking some ribs just down the road in Coleman - having the same issues. Nothing a cold adult beverage won't fix. Ribs, baked beans, cowboy potatoes, and bread pudding. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Yeah, we've had some days above 80° this summer! In fact, it's 80° right now. :rofl:  Even had a day or two in the mid-90s! If it gets much worse, I may have to turn on a fan or somethin'! 

There are some things about the south that I miss. Summer heat ain't one of 'em!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• brimee
    brimee Posts: 127
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    I feel ya. We've been at 97-99 for a while with a heat index of like 106. I'd love for a cold front to come through and drop it down into the 70s.

It was nice this morning, it was 76 here at 6am, first time for a low below 80 in a few days...

Just got finished doing a little grilling this afternoon.

Brian
    Fairview, Texas
  • SGH
    Options
    Due to rain, today is about as cool temp wise as it has been. However with the humidity it's still miserable outside. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• dayzed&confused
    Options
    Hey SciAggie, by golly you are from around here. I just happen to be having a cold adult beverage right now. I hope the ribs come out ok.

San Angelo, texas
  • dayzed&confused
    Options
    SGH, I don't know how you guys tolerate that kind of humidity. 
    If it gets above 25 percent I think I'm going to die! 
    San Angelo, texas
  • Steve753
    Steve753 Posts: 140
    Options
    Our climate here in San Diego is weird. It's about 75 here now, but come September, that's when it gets hot. At least we don't have the humidity.
    Large Big Green Egg
    Weber Gold
    Old Smokey

San Diego, Ca
  • SGH
    Options
    SGH, I don't know how you guys tolerate that kind of humidity. 
    If it gets above 25 percent I think I'm going to die! 
    Brother it's miserable when the humidity gets real high. All you can do is grin and bare it though. Come on January!!!

Status- Standing by.

• XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    I'll happily go through the deepest, darkest, coldest days of January here rather than what you guys down there have going on this time of year. 
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • TheManBehindTheMask
    Options
    its pretty hot
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options
    I will say that as much as I dislike the heat I despise the cold 100 times more.    2-3 months of hot temps is more than offset by 9-10 months of nice weather.  We occasionally see snow which brings out world to a halt bahahahahha
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Hot? We just finally hit 100 this weekend officially in Dallas. Usually, we've had many, many 100+ days by this time. This summer is cool by comparison. LOL.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• dayzed&confused
    Options
    We officially hit 105 yesterday.
    San Angelo, texas
  • SGH
    Options
    We officially hit 105 yesterday.
    You got to love it^^^^^^^^^.
    We have caught a big break today and yesterday due to weather. I may have to get my jacket out if this keeps up. Only in the 90's today and yesterday. Unheard of my friend. Just when I start thinking that Al Gore was right, we get a cool snap. 

Status- Standing by.

• Turk2011
    Turk2011 Posts: 65
    Options
    I'll trade if anyone is interested 
    Swampeast , MO  XL 2013  MM 2015
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    It's not as hot as normal, but it's still pretty hot and there seems to be almost no breeze.

Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Well, it's almost 7:30. Guess a heat index of 97 ain't so bad!

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Now driving Calf to Texas on 10 and 20 for the past two days. 
    108 for lots of the trip and 106 at lunch. Hope to be in Dallas by midnight. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    79° here. =) I did work up a sweat on my bicycle ride this afternoon though. But it was 81° then. :rofl: 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Just spent an hour and a half in the attic switching out the attic fan. The IR thermo read 119 in there.