Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HELP w/ ribs & indirect heat

Walter
Walter Posts: 67
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've got 3 racks of baby backs slathered with mustard & rub, wrapped and sitting in the fridge. Don't have firebricks, pizza stone or plate setter... nor time to find any at this point. How can I achieve "indirect heat" so I can use the 3.5/1/1.5 (or something close to that) method that I saw on the forum earlier?[p]Also, can I cut the racks in half and "stand" the half-racks up in between the wires of a wire rack or is there a better method for putting all 3 racks in my Large EGG?[p]Thanks,
Walter

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    3-1.jpg
    <p />Walter,
    Indirect can be done with an aluminum pan in which you can add a little apple juice, water, etc. On that you need to place another grid - like from the old gas grill you will never use again. If you don't have another grid, it won't be easy without ceramic or a raised grid. [p]3 racks is a load anyway and cutting in half is OK and almost a must. If you have a rib rack or V rack, you can use this over the drip pan and place the ribs halves in the rib rack. Leaning is OK too.[p]Check my website for several rib methods.
    Tim

[ul][li]Tim's World of BGE[/ul]
  • Walter
    Tim M,
    Just my luck... no gassy to pull a grid from. Haven't gotten around to the other grid (raised I believe) from BGE. My rack is actually a Turkey rack but I figured I cut form the V then put the ribs in similar to what you have in your rib rack. [p]Wonder if I could use a retangular glass pan and put 3 or 4 sheets of foil or a spread-out aluminum pan over the top then put the rack across the narrow section to get the rack above the drip pan? Hopefully that would support the bottom edge of the half racks as well?[p]Walter

• davidm
    davidm Posts: 64
    Walter,[p]I've been very successful at cooking ribs direct standing on a rib rack at 225 degrees. It takes longer than indirect at a higher temp, and you have to make sure the fire doesn't creep up on you, but the results, rubbed and slathered just as you have, are excellent.[p]For baby backs it might be 3 1/2 or 4 hours; for St. Louis-cut spare ribs it'll be 5, but the results will be great.[p]David

• davidm
    Walter,[p]I almost forgot: Flip the ribs halfway through, so the part that was contacting the grill is pointing toward the dome.[p]Good luck. I don't think you can miss.[p]David

• Walter
    davidm,
    Thanks for the info. How do you know when they are done? [p]I had done ribs directly on the grill once before and the ends were definitely crispy :) I was thinking the indirect method might avoid the charring effect... but maybe I can just use a drip pan to help avoid the burning.[p]Walter

• Gator
    Gator Posts: 5
    Walter,
    I've done ribs several times recently using the 3/1/1.5 method any they are up there with the best i've done over the past three years. I just use a throw away rectangular aluminum pan with the v-rack sitting inside of it. I pour acouple of inches of water in the pan to create the "indirect" effect and roll the racks of ribs into circles and stand them up on end in the v-rack. I have only done 2 racks at a time, so 3 might be a tough fit. I really like this method because it gives you the great smoke flavor from the (3), then the tenderness from the (1) and then a good texture/crunchiness to the exterior from the (1.5). Follow the times and temps recomended on the earlier posts and you can't miss![p]Gator

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Gator, my ribs will be on the bge about noon - it's a perfect day in Peoria!

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ [/ul]
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Gfw,[p]I did 2 wonderfull racks of babies last night for guests. My wife told me to streach it out since she was running late - so I just left them in the foil an extra 1/2 hr. The times were 3-1.5-1 and the temps varied from 210-225. They were hard to beat. No pictures - we just ate them.[p]Tim
  • davidm
    Walter,[p]One uses the classical test: When the meat pulls back from the bone a bit and you can twist a small piece off with your fingers, You know you're in business.[p]If you keep the temp low enough, your ends won't get crisp.