Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Calling all BG EGGERS-seeking pointers

Options
YukonRon
YukonRon Posts: 16,989
Negotiations on my third BGE are going well. I am about to make the purchase of the next member of my BGE clan.
I am seeking guidence for the trick set up for a medium.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
thanks to all in advance.
"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
Louisville, Kentucky

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Trick the Medium into being a Large BGE.
    You lost me?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Woo2, wok ring and wok from CGS, and a kick ash basket and you're tricked out. Save yourself the trouble later and install a Rutland before you get the egg put together. 
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Kick ash basket.  

I don't own a medium, but see a lot of complaints about the fire grate on the med
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    My medium is my go-to for direct.  When I do need a 3rd egg indirect, I'll rig it up with an extra grate, pizza stone and bricks. 

Or what DoubleEgger said.
    Options
    I'm not sure anyone can tell you what YOU need for your Egg, because it depends on what you like to cook, and how.  I have a Medium and a Large, and I love cooking on both, and all I have is plate setters.  Maybe I'll get a Woo for the Medium and kick myself for not doing it years ago, but I've been happy with my cooks without it.  And a wok would be useless for me -- I just don't do stir-fry, much.  It's really up to you and what you like to cook.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    I call my 14 year old medium a virgin as it has never had any meat nor wood inside! It is strictly my baking egg, but not even pizzas with meat! Believe it or not it still sports the original felt gaskets and the inside is a light honey tan in color. I'm just saying it's a consideration for you.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    Options
    Woo2 from CGS, Smokeware stainless cap, and a Hi Que grate. Skip that Kick ash basket.
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    My medium is my go-to egg for any cook that will fit on it. Woo and KickAsh basket with a Rutland here. I also made a homemade second grid but rarely use it. I was a little skeptical of the basket but it has been worth the money for me. I know I'm the odd man out here but I still hate my Smokeware cap - it just doesn't hold steady temp for me, always creeps up. I still haven't called them to see if the tolerance is off on mine.

Prediction: with the speed to temp and efficient lump usage, the medium will become the favorite. Also, it's the best spatchcock chicken cooker out there. No need to let the skin dry overnight. Just spatch and cook indirect at 425 for crispy skin.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    I have a large, medium, and a small. The smaller two Eggs get most of the work. But it always depends on the cook. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • KSwoll
    KSwoll Posts: 129
    Options
    My Medium is my workhorse through out the week and my mobile egg for camping. The Kick Ash Basket and my Egg Handles from Outdoosthree65 make this bad boy very portable. I can pull the whole KAB full of hot coals out of the egg and put it directly in my metal ash can to expedite the cooling process. The handles make it very convenient to move around. I love my woo2, wok ring, and wok.
    XL, Large, Medium, and Mini Max
    Northern Virgina
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    @KSwoll - what are the Egg handles you're talking about? I tried that website but it's down for reconstruction. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • KSwoll
    Options
    minniemoh said:
    @KSwoll - what are the Egg handles you're talking about? I tried that website but it's down for reconstruction. 

I think the picture loaded correctly. I can't tell on this workstation. Let me know if you can see it.
    Northern Virgina
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Trick the Medium into being a Large BGE.
    You lost me?
    My beautiful wife is in agreement for the medium. I have an XL, love it, and a MM, and love it. I now see the need for a medium, and I was wanting some information on the best periphrial accessories to get going right away, from the folks that are owners of medium BGE. Sorry for the confusion.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Woo2, wok ring and wok from CGS, and a kick ash basket and you're tricked out. Save yourself the trouble later and install a Rutland before you get the egg put together. 
    Great point on the rutland. I love the ideas about the Wok. Thanks man!

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options

johnnyp said:
    Kick ash basket.  

I don't own a medium, but see a lot of complaints about the fire grate on the med
    Yeah, I believe that is across the board on all. Mine exploded in the XL, first time it got above 300F. Cracked the dome and imbedded pieces. BGE TOOK CARE OF EVERYTHING THOUGH! Another reason I love the eggs.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Theophan said:
    I'm not sure anyone can tell you what YOU need for your Egg, because it depends on what you like to cook, and how.  I have a Medium and a Large, and I love cooking on both, and all I have is plate setters.  Maybe I'll get a Woo for the Medium and kick myself for not doing it years ago, but I've been happy with my cooks without it.  And a wok would be useless for me -- I just don't do stir-fry, much.  It's really up to you and what you like to cook.
    Thank you for the insight, I will be doing smaller cooks for my beautiful wife and the stray child that is home with nothing to do. Woo, good suggestion.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    My medium is my go-to for direct.  When I do need a 3rd egg indirect, I'll rig it up with an extra grate, pizza stone and bricks. 

Or what DoubleEgger said.
    Thank you nolaegghead! I just got me some bricks. I am thinking  pizza a lot for the medium too. Great input, thanks man!

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options

RRP said:
    I call my 14 year old medium a virgin as it has never had any meat nor wood inside! It is strictly my baking egg, but not even pizzas with meat! Believe it or not it still sports the original felt gaskets and the inside is a light honey tan in color. I'm just saying it's a consideration for you.
    Well that just makes too much sense. Maybe I should get two. MBW will have a cow, but, I will blame you, and only you for heading me deeper into this OCD egg addiction. Don't worry, my beautiful wife will only hold me responsible. You cost me money. :)

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    r8rs4lf said:
    Woo2 from CGS, Smokeware stainless cap, and a Hi Que grate. Skip that Kick ash basket.
    Hi Que grate? Tell me more?

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options

minniemoh said:
    My medium is my go-to egg for any cook that will fit on it. Woo and KickAsh basket with a Rutland here. I also made a homemade second grid but rarely use it. I was a little skeptical of the basket but it has been worth the money for me. I know I'm the odd man out here but I still hate my Smokeware cap - it just doesn't hold steady temp for me, always creeps up. I still haven't called them to see if the tolerance is off on mine.

Prediction: with the speed to temp and efficient lump usage, the medium will become the favorite. Also, it's the best spatchcock chicken cooker out there. No need to let the skin dry overnight. Just spatch and cook indirect at 425 for crispy skin.
    Ahhhh, looking forward to that! I am thinking about getting two now, Ron suggested I might keep one just for baking.....Am I crazy or what?

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options

KSwoll said:
    minniemoh said:

I think the picture loaded correctly. I can't tell on this workstation. Let me know if you can see it.
    Totally digging the handles. I am very into the idea of maximizing portability for the medium. Thinking the Medium and the MM would be great tailgating, and even camping. I am old but I remain stout. Thank you.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • KSwoll
    Options
    Took mine camping this week. 
    Northern Virgina
  • txhawkeye
    txhawkeye Posts: 279
    Options
    RRP said:
    I have thought about buying one just for baking as well, glad to see I am not crazy.
  • Proser
    Proser Posts: 271
    Options
    Another vote for the woo2 and pizza stone for indirect. My medium loves 400 and is a great size to cook for 4
    Arlington, TX  1 large, 1 medium, 1 Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    @KSwoll, so Cowboy lump gets to go camping?
    Just asking!     :)
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I have a medium, and prefer it for some cooks, like @nolaegghead suggested it is great for direct, or 2 butts etc.  I don't do spatchcock chicken often, but I do thighs and breast on it all the time.  

I prefer XL for ribs,  brisket, etc. 
  • clifkincaid
    clifkincaid Posts: 572
    Options
    I bought the large pizza stone for my medium egg. Also bought the KAB. It does make a huge difference. So glad I bought these 2 items.
  • KSwoll
    Options
    jaydub58 said:
    @KSwoll, so Cowboy lump gets to go camping?
    Just asking!     :)
    I was lucky to find that, lol. Didn't realize I was out of coal until we got to the campsite.
    Northern Virgina