Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Refurbishing a Small Egg, and Carts

Options
Hello all,

This is my first post on this forum.  I am new to the Egg but have purchased two for myself in the last several months, a L and and XL, and I find that this is at least as addictive as heroin (not that I'd know, of course).    So far I've done pork butt, baby backs, steaks, pork loin, thin crust pizza, deep dish pizza (doing a couple today), and beer can chicken.  Why the hell didn't I buy an egg twenty or thirty years ago?   Better late than never.

So I'm visiting my brother-in-law in near Cashier's, N.C. and he tells me he's got an Egg.  I get here and find it's an older small model.  The bands are rusting, the wheels are rusted, the gasket is crapped out, the daisywheel vent on top only swivels and doesn't slide open (and is rusting a little).   I couldn't take the size for a bunch of ribs I wanted to cook so I went out and bought him a new L two days ago.   In exchange he's donated this small one to me which I'll take back home and add to the other two, which leaves me with a couple of questions:

1) Where is the best place to get replacement parts for the small egg?  I need bands with springs, a new top, gasket material, wheels for the nest, etc.?

2) Can anyone suggest good plans for building a table/cart that will hold three eggs?  

Thanks,
Garry

The donated Egg:

The deep dish egg pizzas.  These puppies rocked!

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Welcome! More importantly, can I be your brother? =)  The band will most likely have to be ordered from your dealer. They are hard to come across used.  The daisy wheel should be fine.  It sounds like it might need to be re-seasoned. Member @RRP can hook you up with a Rutland gasket. (Better than stock gasket that comes with the egg)  The nest wheels you should be able to find at any big box stores.  You might also want to double check your dome thermometer for accuracy. Congrats on the small.  It's the perfect egg that complements the L/XL

Daisy Wheel:
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/789061/does-anyone-season-their-daisy-wheel

Draft Door:
    http://m.ebay.com/itm/Small-Mini-Big-Green-Egg-Stainless-Draft-Door-SSMD-/121559721827?nav=SEARCH

Checking Dome Thermometer:
    https://youtu.be/pmqKlXOjGNo
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options
    WeberWho? said:
    Welcome! More importantly, can I be your brother? =)  The band's most likely will have to be ordered from your dealer. They are hard to come across used.  The daisy wheel should be fine.  It sounds like it might need to be re-seasoned. Member @RRP can hook you up with a Rutland gasket. (Better than stock gasket that comes with the egg)  The nest wheels you should be able to find at any big box stores

Daisy Wheel:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/789061/does-anyone-season-their-daisy-wheel
    Plus 1 on the Rutland!
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • scootr2200
    scootr2200 Posts: 23
    Options
    I'm not much help...  But I live in Sylva, welcome to Jackon County NC!

Mickey
    Western NC Egger since January 2014

• Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    Welcome to the forum.  It sounds like you are a veteran on the a Egg, so don't be shy about posting some more great cooks like your pies.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • dcc
    dcc Posts: 90
    Options
    Welcome to the insanity.  Check out the Callenger Designs Carts.  They are not cheap, but they are well made with lots of storage for your egging "stuff".
    Houston (Clear Lake) TX
    2 LBGE, 1 Mini-Max

• Proser
    Proser Posts: 271
    Options
    You have a lucky brother

Here is the three egg table I came up with. Works well for me

Arlington, TX  1 large, 1 medium, 1 Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone
  • 777Driver
    777Driver Posts: 16
    Options

WeberWho? said:
    Welcome! More importantly, can I be your brother? =)  

WeberWho?, thanks.   Sure, you can be my brother.  Can I use your big-arse mountain lake home for a month out of the year for free?  :)

I appreciate all the leads.  I'll start accumulating it all and get that little puppy outfitted.  Photo to be posted when it's finished.

I'm not much help...  But I live in Sylva, welcome to Jackon County NC!

Mickey
     Thanks Mickey.  Been coming here for many years now.  Love this place.  Hope to buy a property in the not too distant future.

Hawg Fan said:
    Welcome to the forum.  It sounds like you are a veteran on the a Egg, so don't be shy about posting some more great cooks like your pies.
    Hang Fan,  not a veteran with the Egg, a newbie for sure, but a veteran at barbecuing and grilling for sure.  Like probably most here I have accumulated something of a collection: a stainless Bradley Smoker for many years, a Weber kettle that's getting retired, a Caja China, a Barbchef Stainless wheeled charcoal grill (not made any more and looking to get rid of it), and a Weber gas grill.  And now the eggs.  I think everything except the Bradley smoker and the gas grill will be finding new homes.  I'll keep the Bradley for versatility and the gas grill because ... well ... I'm not sure why.  Can I blame my wife?

I will post food photos as they happen.  

dcc said:
    Welcome to the insanity.  Check out the Callenger Designs Carts.  They are not cheap, but they are well made with lots of storage for your egging "stuff".

dcc, ha!  It seems something more of a religion, or a cult.  A good cult if there is such a thing.  I'll look at the carts.   I build artist's work stations, called a taboret, so I figure I can probably build an egg cart.  I designed this www.theultimatetaboret.com, but I'd rather work from plans that I don't have to spend time designing.   

Proser said:

Here is the three egg table I came up with. Works well for me

Proser, NICE!  Really nice.  I'm thinking that I'd want something on wheels but with three eggs it would be getting close to the size of a semi, or a doublewide.   I may build a cart for two of them on wheels and leave the third one, the small one, on a nest.

Thanks all.  I appreciate the hospitality.

Garry
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Nice restoration!
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Great job! Did you replace the dome? It looks different in the last picture. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited August 2015
    Options
    @Jeremiah,
    Might be a different egg?
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    It mentions above that he picked up another used egg (large) I believe the pics of the finished project is his large egg
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • 777Driver
    777Driver Posts: 16
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Focker said:
    Nice restoration!
    Jeremiah said:

Thanks Focker and Jeremiah.

Jeremiah, yeah, as WeberWho? said, there are two different eggs there.  I got a deal on the second one (L) but it needed some rust remediation, and new mates.

The top egg is a small donated by my brother-in-law.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Looking good!  Yeah it sort of tricked me too...I was scrolling through the pics (too lazy, didn't read) and thought Whoa!  what a restoration! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• 777Driver
    Options
    Looking good!  Yeah it sort of tricked me too...I was scrolling through the pics (too lazy, didn't read) and thought Whoa!  what a restoration! 
    SmokeyPitt, HA!

Hopefully when I am finished with the small egg it will look as good.