Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Will briquettes taint a BGE?

Almost all the time I use lump, but there are times when I'll use briquettes because I'm too lazy to drive the extra miles to buy the lump or my dad will give me a bag from a two-pack he bought.  Also, I don't ever use fluid.
The food off of the lump definitely has a "cleaner" taste, but will the occasional briquette use taint the egg?
MM & XL BGE, Bay Area CA

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    edited July 2015
    No, but I definitely wouldn't use matchlight or any with lighter fluid. Competition Kingsford should do well in a pinch for direct cooks.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
     will the occasional briquette use taint the egg?
    Absolutely not. If it would, my eggs would have been ruined long ago. For certain cooks, I prefer charcoal over lump. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Can you snuff briquettes out and relight it like you can lump?
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    SGH said:
     will the occasional briquette use taint the egg?
    Absolutely not. If it would, my eggs would have been ruined long ago. For certain cooks, I prefer charcoal over lump. 
    @SGH - Just curious, for which cooks do you prefer briquettes over lump?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Can you snuff briquettes out and relight it like you can lump?
    No
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    This is news to me. I was told in no uncertain terms never ever use briquettes in a komado because they're full of ceramic damaging charcoal binding ingredients and lump is natural wood.

So ... WTF? Is this propaganda spread by the lump guys, or is the lump union lobbying BGE with fist fulls of cash? Is there a 501(c) Lump Pac with influence and ties to very important politicians?

Why don't bags of Kingsford say: "Safe for use in your expensive outdoor oven/smoker/grill Komado" for market share?

Somebody call 60 Minutes - Stossel needs to know about this.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    From what I understand the reason not to use them is that the large amount of binder material will affect the airflow so it is harder to maintain a low slow temperature over a 10 plus hour cook.

Gerhard
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Only issue is the large amount of ash left over. I don't use them cause I keep 3-400 pounds of lump around but I have a buddy that uses them more than lump.
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Aside from the types with lighter fluids, gels, whatever to aid in lighting, you can use the powdered briquettes if you so choose.

Only issue they have is the amount of ash build up. It'll affect the airflow in the cookers, and cause issues with temperature.

A hot fast cook.. probably just fine.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • SGH
    DMW said:
    @SGH - Just curious, for which cooks do you prefer briquettes over lump?
    Brother D, sorry that I'm late on the draw. I missed this question somehow. Nonetheless I have seen it now my friend. I prefer briquettes anytime I'm grilling direct. Not raised direct, just standard level direct. I find that I can get a much more "even" heat around the grid when using briquettes. With lump you will always have the inevitable hot spot. There is just no avoiding it short of running a raging inferno and then you are far to hot to cook. I'm not bashing lump in any way as I use as much or more than anybody. However for searing within inches of the coals I prefer briquettes for the control. The only downside of briquettes is the amount of ash that they produce. Short of this they work great. Here is another use that I use them for. You can cheat a smoke ring with them. If you are cooking for someone who doesn't like a lot of smoke but they like a pretty ring, you can use briquettes in place of wood and get a nice smoke ring without the heavy smoke taste. Again, my apologies for missing this when you first posted it. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    No
    Of course you can. The main issue with briquettes is the amount of ash they generate.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    No
    Have been using relit briquettes in my kettles and WSM for a long time. 

Why can't it be done?
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• SGH
    Focker said:
    Have been using relit briquettes in my kettles and WSM for a long time.

I reuse them in both of my eggs (mini & large), Unit #1, Unit #6, PBC, kettle and UDS. They work just as good as fresh ones. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    There is snuffed out briquettes in both of my eggs as we speak. 

Status- Standing by.

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Yep.  Do it all the time when we cook on Weber kettles at deer camp.  Just stir'um to knock the ash off and hit'um with the mapp torch.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    As noted the trouble is ash, lots of it. I like briquettes for a direct sear, the Smokey Joe Weber needs about 25 to get a real inferno going....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    edited August 2015
    I have about 400 lbs of kingsford competition briqs in my garage right now.  Its good stuff, just pulverized lump (maybe they get it from crushed royal oak bags from walmart) with a vegetable binder.  No chemicals.
  • I have about 400 lbs of kingsford competition briqs in my garage right now.  Its good stuff, just pulverized lump (maybe they get it from crushed royal oak bags from walmart) with a vegetable binder.  No chemicals.
    Well, except borax. 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    SGH said:
      . For certain cooks, I prefer charcoal over lump. 
    You mean briquettes over charcoal, right??  :bawling: