Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yeti 50 ice test.

Options

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @SGH- if you want to closely check w/o opening I'm sure you could give the cooler a good shake and see if you hear any ice collisions-
    Indeed my friend. I shake it everyday. However once it gets down to only a few slivers she will go quite. On day 10 when I shook the Pelican, I didn't hear anything. But there were a few very small pieces remaining when I opened it. Going to do the Yeti the same way to be fair in the test. You know, I'm kind of cheering for the Yeti. I'm starting to really like their stuff. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    edited July 2015
    Options
    How about this one Scottie?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2v_BnDNpds

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• SGH
    Options
    How about this one Scottie?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2v_BnDNpds

Brother, I had to watch it twice. Funny stuff right there!! 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    @RRP
    Is this the 10oz I heard you mention somewhere? Never saw this one before. 

Status- Standing by.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    LOL - why not get extra mileage when you can!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • dboram
    dboram Posts: 54
    Options
    @RiverDoc Did you test that Yeti ice yet?
    Houston, Texas
    Large, MiniMax, and another Large.
  • RiverDoc
    RiverDoc Posts: 572
    Options
    @dboram the 4lb yeti ice went in my hopper today . I'm going to post a thread tomorrow pm about the ice and a hopper, to keep pics off of this thread. But so far awesome. After about 8hrs I checked and the ice had froze to the yeti ice. I'll post pics tomorrow. 
    -Todd
    Franklin N.C. LBGE and a SBGE
  • SGH
    Options
    dboram said:
    I went to pick up some Yeti Ice this morning but they were out of stock. They had something there that caught my eye. It was called Alaskan Artic Ice. It was 5 pounds, (one pound heavier than Yeti) and about 12 bucks cheaper. I have never tried it so I can't vouch for how it works. I can't help but to wonder if it's basically the same stuff though. Just thought I would share. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    RiverDoc said:
    @dboram the 4lb yeti ice went in my hopper today . I'm going to post a thread tomorrow pm about the ice and a hopper, to keep pics off of this thread. But so far awesome. After about 8hrs I checked and the ice had froze to the yeti ice. I'll post pics tomorrow. 
    Standing by and look forward to your review. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Hope this works.
    http://youtu.be/GPKIC0PL5X4

Status- Standing by.

• RiverDoc
    Options
    @SGH did you get one of those? The video sounds impressive
    -Todd
  • SGH
    Options
    RiverDoc said:
    No sir, I did not. But after some research I'm considering getting one. I should have grabbed it while I was there. 

Status- Standing by.

• RiverDoc
    Options
    SGH said:
    RiverDoc said:
    No sir, I did not. But after some research I'm considering getting one. I should have grabbed it while I was there. 
    It seems impressive, especially at that price

-Todd
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    SGH said:
    dboram said:
    I went to pick up some Yeti Ice this morning but they were out of stock. They had something there that caught my eye. It was called Alaskan Artic Ice. It was 5 pounds, (one pound heavier than Yeti) and about 12 bucks cheaper. I have never tried it so I can't vouch for how it works. I can't help but to wonder if it's basically the same stuff though. Just thought I would share. 
    It is my understanding that the Yeti Ice is no different that any other brand. 
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    SGH said:
    dboram said:
    Artic Ice is awesome. A superior product in my mind. I have been very impressed with the 2 five pound units I bought. It's the same concept as Yeti but a better execution. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    They have a few different versions that all perform differently. It's worth a quick visit to their website to see which one is best for you. I like Alaska. They are also available on Amazon Prime. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • SGH
    Options
    Well fellows, the test is over. It didn't make the 10 days in the brutal sun. I will post pics and temps tomorrow. 

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    So it didn't make it past 5 days.   To be fair, you should test the pelican and yeti side by side.
    Options
    Hi54putty said:
    They have a few different versions that all perform differently. It's worth a quick visit to their website to see which one is best for you. I like Alaska. They are also available on Amazon Prime. 
    Funny thing if you google Alaskan ice and not artic ice you get a totally different product!
    -Todd
  • SGH
    edited July 2015
    Options
    So it didn't make it past 5 days.   To be fair, you should test the pelican and yeti side by side.
    I feel it's the size difference. The Pelican will hold almost double the amount of ice. I feel that a larger Yeti like a 105 would have made it just like the Pelican 95 did. Alas, the little 50 did not. 5 days in the back of a black pickup in the direct sun ain't bad though. With the exception of today, everyday has been right at 100 degrees or a 100 degrees. Night time temps in the 80's. All in all I was impressed with the little 50. I may sit it in the shade and run the same test again. The direct sunlight for 12+ hours a day is brutal.  

Status- Standing by.

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I think you are spot on with your volume of starting ice per cooler.
    Agree, 4-5 days in direct sunlight is a killer...

Ended up finding another good price on the 45qt Pelican in Tan on Walmart online. Free shipping to my local store for $188.
    The 35qt was $199.99 in the store. Go figure.

Thanks again for all the information.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Jeeeeeezus, son....  is your ice done melting yet?!?!   What happened?  Inquiring minds want to know!!!  :lol: 

(by the way, thanks for the RTIC cooler link. I just passed that to a friend who just told me he paid three hundred f-ing dollars for a Yeti.)
    LBGE/Maryland
  • SGH
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    Jeeeeeezus, son....  is your ice done melting yet?!?!   What happened?  Inquiring minds want to know!!!  :lol: 

(by the way, thanks for the RTIC cooler link. I just passed that to a friend who just told me he paid three hundred f-ing dollars for a Yeti.)
    Yes sir, the Yeti 50 gave up the ghost yesterday. Going to post my findings tonight when I have time. And you are more than welcome for the RTI link. I hope that they turn out to be great coolers and that everyone enjoys them. 

Status- Standing by.

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    A little hijack of your thread here but sort of relevant. I put 40lb of ice in the tank in Saturday. Two days later with daytime temps in the 80s there's plenty of ice left. 

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    edited July 2015
    Options
    So far, my experience with the Yeti Ice has been good. It's in a cheapo soft side cooler in the hot Myrtle Beach sun. It's kept the kids water cold. Also, on the road trip from Atlanta up here, it actually froze on the the little one's yogurt tubes solid. 

Ive got got several more days up here with the Yeti Ice, I think she'll do fine. 

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options
    The question is.    How cold was the ice when you started?  
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options

Filling a cooler full of ice is not going to determine how long it will retain ice when it used in the real world. Packing a 50qt cooler full of ice is certainly going to last much longer than packing it with 40qts of items and 10qts of ice.

Packing it full of ice and seeing how long it last will give a good indication as to how much ice will be melted, on average, per day. That will allow for planning on ice replenishment.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @Mikee - been awhile, are you ready to share your sweat BBQ sauce and pizza dough recipe? :smiley: 

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options

Not right now! Your a real crowd pleaser to say the least!  

• SGH
    Options
    Mikee said:

Filling a cooler full of ice is not going to determine how long it will retain ice when it used in the real world. 

As a boat owner, filling the cooler full of ice and seeing how long it will last is about as real world as it gets. There is always a cooler full of ice only on the boat that is used to replenish other coolers that are used for drinks or fish. So you see, depending on your intended use for the cooler,  this test was about as real world as it gets. 

The question is.    How cold was the ice when you started?  
    Random readings with a temp gun gave a average of 18 degrees. Give or take a little either way. 

Status- Standing by.