Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pig Cakes, yep I said Pig Cakes

Options
Hotch
Hotch Posts: 3,564

I had my first great" crab cakes a few years back when we went to Walt Disney World at Fulton's Crab House in the Downtown Disney area. I know it sounds weird. But I am pure Texas, born and raised. Not much for sea food in my appetite. Since then I have been looking for something similar but not seafood. So I got to thinking about swapping the crab meat for pork. A while back someone posted about using a mixer to pull pork or other proteins. And sounded like I could get to the texture I was looking for. After doing a lot of searching for a great recipe I came across a good one.

Credit for this recipe goes to Chef Ryan Rodgers, of Fest BBQ in Indiana.

Start with room temp cream cheese, fine chopped green onions, cayenne, black pepper and my favorite, pure organic sorghum.
All goes in the stand mixer till mixed together.

(Here is the BGE part)

Then add in the cold pulled pork. (I had small to medium chunks of pulled pork)

Let me backup a moment.

Found a great looking bone in butt at Kroger. And at a great price.
So salt and pepper rub (Texas thing), a little butcher string to tighten it up and off to light the Egg.
Busted out my propane powered chimney starter (Thanks Ray) loaded it with mesquite lump. And off to find my stoker. Got it setup for 310 degrees with 5 degree windows. Dumped the chimney and off we go. Back inside to get things ready and grab the butt. Temp is stable @310 and on she goes. Looking for about a 7 hour cook. Opened one time to show our new neighbor, they were over swimming. Went about 7.5 hours. Took it of and let it rest on the counter with a foil tent for 45-60 minutes. Then pulled it and packed it in a foil pan. Then in the frig it went. Off to sleep.

Got up in the morning and started to make our BBQ sauce and creamy slaw for the Pig cakes and BBQ sauce, aioli and fix n's for our Baja Wave Tequila Lime Tacos.

Opps, forgot to mention we were going to our neighbors house to celebrate both of their sons birthdays, Tyler is 20 and Matt few years older. Both are great guys. Anyway this is all for Tyler and Matt's party. They had about 20 or so people coming over for swimming, drinking, story telling and watching sports on the tube.

Back on track.

Once it is all mixed together rolled up 3oz balls of Pig Cake goodness and flatten each into a patty the size of the slider bun. Then the comes the flour dredge, egg wash and panko bread crumbs.
At this point I did think about oiling up the Blackstone or breaking out the cast iron on the Egg. But noon is closing in and sometimes the easiest thing is the best. So grabbed two non stick skillets and the grape seed oil and headed for the stove top. Grape seed oil at 375-400 and off we went. 24 Pig Cakes later we were done.

I elected for sliders (finger food) so lathered the buns with homemade Sweet (Molasses) Citrus BBQ Sauce with a Chili Lime Spice added for tartness and a kick. Pig Cake topped with creamy slaw and a drizzle of the best sorghum I have ever found.

It was a lot of work for both Shelly and I but well worth it for our 20 or so of the best friends you can have.

Hope you enjoy.

Now for the pics,

I just had to get a close up of the best dayum sorghum ever.

And the money shot!

Thanks for looking and happy birthday Tyler and Matt.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
BGE Chiminea
Prosper, TX

Comments