Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help! Chicken wing disaster!

Options
So I've had my large egg for a couple of months now, I have done plenty of cooks that have turned out great! Tonight I thought I would try my hand at wings, boy oh boy did I underestimate those little guys! Dome temp 350, raised direct for thirty minutes and they were burnt to a crisp.. Can anybody give me some advice on how to make sure this doesn't happen again?!

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Raised or not?  

Did is you flip them?

pics of your set up?

thermo calibrated?
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    Welcome aboard. I do mine indirect. Although some here do them direct. 400* indirect for about 60 minutes.  I turn them about 3 times or so during the cook.I like mine a bit of the crispy side. I'm sure others will chime in.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    More details needed. Usually go 45' raised direct. Give us more info.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    IMO - you either need to goes raised direct at 350-400° or indirect @400-450   I've never had good luck cooking wings at OEM height. I've never tried it but I guess you could try a min amount of lump to increase the distance between the fire & food.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
    The dome temp of 350 seems a little high to me.  I like to cook mine about 300 indirect (with plate setter, for about an hour or so.  I also flip them once or twice.  It also depends on how big the wings are.  Also, everyone cooks their wings differently, this is just how I like to cook mine.

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    One option is to cook them indirect. The radiant heat from the coals is sometimes hard to quantify. 

Did you have them already sauced and/or rubbed?  Any sugar in the sauce or rub will burn at about 300 degrees.  Based on recommendations here I now cook them until they are essentially done with just a rub that is 50% corn starch. The skin gets crispy and then I have a bowl with my sauce in them like at the wing restaurants. I put them in the bowl and swirl them around until they are coated in sauce. I put them back in the grill for no more than 5 minutes to glaze and dry up the sauce a little - but I'd they stay on any longer than that the sauce burns. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Go indirect w/ little higher heat. Best way I have found

Greensboro, NC
  • Josh_solorio
    Options
    i calibrated my thermo about a week ago... In your guys experience is it a bad idea to sauce the wings before putting on grill? Or do you wait until wings are done, apply sauce and let cool a few mins longer? I did not flip until my thirty minute mark  :|
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Sauce late in the cook. Like last 15-20 min. 

Note: I usually don't sauce at all. 
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    i calibrated my thermo about a week ago... In your guys experience is it a bad idea to sauce the wings before putting on grill? Or do you wait until wings are done, apply sauce and let cool a few mins longer? I did not flip until my thirty minute mark  :|
    I frequently marinate wings with a vinegar peri peri sauce, but if you are using sugary sauce that burns really badly with direct heat no matter what you are cooking.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    If you want to sauce them before putting them on you should probably keep the temp at 275 or so. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Josh_solorio
    Options
    I frequently marinate wings with a vinegar peri peri sauce, but if you are using sugary sauce that burns really badly with direct heat no matter what you are cooking.
    Maybe that was one of the problems! I used a sweet and spicy bbq sauce that I used for my pulled pork a few weeks back. Maybe next time I'll use a different sauce or try a rub... Any reccomendstions?
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Love raised direct at 400 with one flip. Sauce is hot after wings finish.  Works for us. 
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Maybe that was one of the problems! I used a sweet and spicy bbq sauce that I used for my pulled pork a few weeks back. Maybe next time I'll use a different sauce or try a rub... Any reccomendstions?
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1167298/wings-with-a-friend#latest

https://dichickos.com/

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Ask Cazzy for his recipe.  To be honest I have my own approach, but his sounds pretty darned good.

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    I'm still a wing novice(4 cooks), but have had good results direct and indirect on the MM. 1st time going indirect tonight. The other times have been standard grid height(pre-woo). 

I marinated some in BBQ sauce and some in Jerk seasoning. Prior to putting the BBQ sauced ones on the egg, I wiped most of the sauce off and then re-sauced towards the end of the cook. When going direct, I flip and rotate every 10 minutes. Indirect every 15 minutes flip/rotate.  
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Ask Cazzy for his recipe.  To be honest I have my own approach, but his sounds pretty darned good.
    Cazzys wings are legit if you like spicy, sweet, and sticky wings.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1147925/cazzys-wings-recipe-updated/p1
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Indirect. 400 until crispy. Sauce after the cook is done. Cover in Anchor Bar's wing sauce...home made of course. And don't use those tiny "wings". Use full sized parts. Too much trouble for those little f*ckers. This is a weekly meal at the ksmyrl mansion. 

Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I use Cazzy's wings recipe and process and it works great.  Maybe stay away from the lighter fluid marinade? 
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    I like to start with indirect and then finish with direct to add the extra crispiness.  With a large quantity, I bring in the Weber kettle and Weber gas grill.  The gas grill is good for the final step.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Seriously, prep your "wings" how you like, S &P, run them raised direct at 350-400 and flip them after 30' and cook them 45'. Use good lump plus or minus smoke, then toss them in sauce of choice.  
  • Josh_solorio
    Options
    Thank you all for your input! Everybody's tips and tricks are appreciated! It's so nice to belong to a forum where people know so much more then I do, and are willing to help at a moment's notice!! I guess one bump in the road here and there is just part of learning!! 

Will try cazzys wing recipe and post a thread in a couple days on how they turned out!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    As you can tell from the above, wing cooks are about like most here, there are many ways to get you there.  Experiment and find something that works for you and then minor adjustments down the road.  I have recent;y landed on the raised direct method after several years of indirect.  Just to try another approach.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I agree the sweet sauce was tge culprit. Luke others said if you wantto use a sweet sauce then put it on at the end. If you are ciiking direct flip
    frequently once sauced 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options

I'll add to the chorus, I do wings exactly like @ksmyrl -- turned to that  technique soon after I got the egg.

I had several couples over for wings one night and went with separated wings, direct at normal grate height.  I cooked my arms, and the wings to a bloody crisp. Worst meal I have ever served to guests by a country mile. 

Now I go with whole wings, 375-400 indirect, sauced with Texas Pete and melted butter at the end. Never fails.

XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I don't sauce them on the egg at all. I remove and toss them in a large prep bowl with the desired sauce. I often use several bowls with different sauces because my family enjoys different heat profiles. You put as may or few wings in a different sauce as you desire. I usually keep my rub the same on all. I am also a huge proponent of a light dusting of corn starch to aide in crispy skin. This eliminates the need for high heat. They will crisp up at 250-300 if you want to cook that low. Also will crisp up indirect if you choose. Just saying, lots of options. Good luck with your next batch. 
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    I like large separated wings. I go indirect at 350 for about 40 minutes, pull the plate setter and sear for about a minute a side for a little char. Sauce them in a large pan or bowl and serve. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options
    Check and see how much oil might be in the sauce.   As the space heats the old separates and drips on the hot coals and you get the idea.....

Good luck next time
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!