Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Party-Q question

Options
OK, so I'm trying out my new Party-Q on my egg.  Temp on controller doesn't match dome temp.  And yes, I calibrated the dome thermometer.  I have the top wide open but yet it's not climbing.  Yes, I pulled out all the coals, cleaned with a shop-vac, so my airflow should be good.  How long does it take to come up to temp, my target is 250f.
LBGE, Tobaccoville,NC

Comments

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    They will eventually 'sync' ... It won't happen if you sit and watch .. but eventually they both will fall in line
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • grillman65
    grillman65 Posts: 81
    Options
    Yea, dome temp is 200, Q shows 250
    LBGE, Tobaccoville,NC
  • SoCalTim
    Options
    Trust the Q .. if you have a Maverick, connect it to the grate - it'll read what the Q reads at the sensor at grate level. Eventually when the egg settles in, it'll sync.

I had the same question when I used my Pitmaster IQ the first time. It'll all be good.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • grillman65
    Options
    Do I need to pull off the top cap, so it's wide open.
    LBGE, Tobaccoville,NC
  • SoCalTim
    Options
    No, the top should be cracked open so slight, if at all. The Q does all the work. If you go to the BBQ Guru website, there's a 3 minute video that tells you exactly what to do. It's actually quite good.
  • grillman65
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    No, the top should be cracked open so slight, if at all. The Q does all the work. If you go to the BBQ Guru website, there's a 3 minute video that tells you exactly what to do. It's actually quite good.
    Thats what I thought, I guess I need to put the cap back on.
    LBGE, Tobaccoville,NC
  • grillman65
    Options
    There has to be a airflow issue. Dome temp shows 210 and Q shows 270.

LBGE, Tobaccoville,NC
  • SoCalTim
    Options
    Light a small fire in the center of the lump. Put adapter plate on. Connect sensor clip to grate. Lower dome. Close Daisy wheel. Set Q to desired temp. Let temp come up slowly. Put black tape over dome temp probe. Trust the Q. Trust @SoCalTim
  • grillman65
    Options
    Well, dome temp shows 225, Q shows 367, could the dome temp be off that much
    LBGE, Tobaccoville,NC
  • grillman65
    Options
    maybe buying the Q was a bad idea.

LBGE, Tobaccoville,NC
  • biggreenrob
    biggreenrob Posts: 194
    Options
    Do you have fresh batteries in the Party Q?  You may want to swap them out for a new set to rule that out.  I have seen some strange things happen when the batteries are low.
    LBGE | DigiQ | SW Cap | KAB | iGrill2 | CI PS | PSWoo2 | HQ Grid | Extender
    Mini Max | PartyQ | KAB | CGW 2-Tier (Mod) | Woo w/Stone | SW Cap (mod) | CI13 
  • grillman65
    Options
    Do you have fresh batteries in the Party Q?  You may want to swap them out for a new set to rule that out.  I have seen some strange things happen when the batteries are low.

Yes, this Q is brand new, batteries and all
    LBGE, Tobaccoville,NC
  • biggreenrob
    biggreenrob Posts: 194
    Options
    Is the Q probe clipped to close to the edge of the grate?  Maybe it's reading the hotter temperature coming from the outer edge of the grate.  Do you have any pics of the setup?
    LBGE | DigiQ | SW Cap | KAB | iGrill2 | CI PS | PSWoo2 | HQ Grid | Extender
    Mini Max | PartyQ | KAB | CGW 2-Tier (Mod) | Woo w/Stone | SW Cap (mod) | CI13 
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Your signature line says you have a large egg and a PSWoo2 ... is that what's installed?

It feels backwards but place one of the plate setter legs directly under the dome thermometer.  I'm guessing that's how you have it 'cuz the dome temp is so low.  Then place the Q probe over one of the three legs with the probe end well protected by the plate setter ... and an inch or two away from the meat.  If it's exposed to the burning lump, it'll read higher than what the meat is really seeing.

The Q can't bring the temp down ... it can only increase it by running the fan.  The top cap (ugly daisy or SS cap) has to be closed down enough to dampen the fire below your set temp.  With both my Guru and Flameboss, the SS cap is set from open a crack (one credit card width) to just slightly closed.  You want the Q running about 20 to 30% of the time.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• grillman65
    Options
    Cook is done.  After I removed the Q, dome temp shot up to 400+.  Not sure what the deal is, but I'm not impressed.
    LBGE, Tobaccoville,NC
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @grillman65 ... the party Q is a good unit, it just takes time to learn how to use it effectively.  I just noticed that you and @biggreenrob were posting alternatively ... with the dog avatar, I thought you were carrying on a one man conversation.  Sorry Rob.

What do you have for cooking indirect?  Plate setter, AR, spider and stone?

• SoCalTim
    Options

No, it was actually a great move, your next cook will go better. This actually sorta happened to me on my first IQ cook, almost gave up. Next cook .. it rocked!
  • grillman65
    Options
    I am using the CI grate, so the alligator clip would not clip on to the grate. So I just laid it in between the grates . When I was done, I went to take it out and the clip pulled off.  Now I have to find the clip after the egg cools down.
    LBGE, Tobaccoville,NC
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @grillman65 ... was the Q probe exposed to the hot gases coming up and around your indirect stone/plate setter ... or was it well protected?

You might consider using a balled up piece of aluminum foil to hold the probe an inch or so above the grill grate ... or an onion ... or a potato.

• grillman65
    Options
    @grillman65 ... was the Q probe exposed to the hot gases coming up and around your indirect stone/plate setter ... or was it well protected?

You might consider using a balled up piece of aluminum foil to hold the probe an inch or so above the grill grate ... or an onion ... or a potato.
    Looking down on the grill, the probe was around 5 o'clock 
    LBGE, Tobaccoville,NC
  • grillman65
    Options
    I forgot, I also was using firebricks to raise the grate.
    LBGE, Tobaccoville,NC
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I don't believe you gave the Party-Q a fair shot from what I have read.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • grillman65
    Options
    I don't believe you gave the Party-Q a fair shot from what I have read.  
    I have not given up, I'm just frustrated.
    LBGE, Tobaccoville,NC
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @grillman65 ... consider replicating your set up tomorrow when the egg is cool.  Then take pictures of the top vent and settings, the bottom vent configuration, the placement of your stone/plate setter, and the placement of your Q probe.  Those type of pictures will assist folks in identifying what to correct.

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    My Q works perfect but its the older model. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Were you cooking indirect or direct? Agree with @Jeepster47 - stage your setup tomorrow and post pics, we'll figure it out. I have a PartyQ and a Stoker, both work great.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SoCalTim
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I am using the CI grate, so the alligator clip would not clip on to the grate. So I just laid it in between the grates . When I was done, I went to take it out and the clip pulled off.  Now I have to find the clip after the egg cools down.
    In the future, if you can't clip the probe on the CI grate, just stick the probe thru half a lemon or apple. Then set it on the grate. It'll do the trick. (oh damn, someone already posted this tip) ..