Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why the white billowy smoke?

Options
We all know that the VOCs are supposed to burn off within the first 20 minutes or so of starting the coals, and one way to tell when they are burnt off is when the white billowy smoke turns to a light, almost, invisible wisp.  But why the billowy smoke in the first ten minutes even when I have lit previously used coals?  Tonight, for a quick steak, I just lit the dregs of coals that were left from a previous long burn and indeed it took a good 10 minutes for the white smoke to dissipate.  The coals that I lit were veterans...I mean they were old and grey and very lightweight :) … but they were enough for one more rumble … the steak was great!  But why the white smoke upon starting these old guys?  I had  thought that maybe moisture had something to do with it, but these were bone dry.  Could it be the BGE all natural starters?  Don't get me wrong… I don't mind the wait.  just curious.  BTW I'm using BGE lump.

Comments

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    edited July 2015
    Options
    My guess....humidity.  That may have been steam. 
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    Great question! I look forward to a great answer.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    It's probably the starter.  They take about 10 minutes to burn out.  I use Rutland starters which are similar (maybe the same?) and that's what they do.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• GradeALarge
    Options
    Aw… don't tell me that a Carolina July is humid! :)  
    These puppy were dry … and it hasn't monsooned here in days.  Humidity was probably under 80% today.  You think if I was in SoCal… in one of the valleys... I wouldn't get the white smoke from those old coals? B)
  • GradeALarge
    Options
    The starter?… thought crossed my mind.  Wondering if those that use electric starters see this initial white smoke with old coals?
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    I'd be tempted to say it could be something that dripped onto the coals when you used them last, but I think I've seen this even from 'clean' pre-used coals. I'm not sure I have a good answer, but it could have something to do with combustion of liberated VOCs at a certain temp once things have started. Of course for that to be true I'd be suggesting the fire is 'hotter' after 10min or so than it is before that and I'm not sure that's true/possible...

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    It's those starter blocks. I used a couple the other day for the first time in quite a while and my egg was puffing white smoke like a freight train. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I agree with the above probably some drippings from previous low and slow. I have done multiple low and slows in a row before then tried a higher heat cook and it took over a half hour to burn off.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Probably the lump. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • GradeALarge
    Options
    Thanks for the replies… if it's a temp thing you'd think that all the VOCs would be burnt off from the previous burns for those old coals.  

Humidity… I thought so at one time, but today was really pretty dry… and those old coals were really dried out.  

I'm thinking BGE starter… still would like to hear from the electric starter crowd. =)  And also from our Arizona, Nevada, SoCal BGEers.  And anybody else in low humidity.

Could it be the BGE lump?
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    I normally use a map pro torch. I was super pissed about how much and how long the white smoke lasted with those blocks. I switched to the electric a year or two ago and then switched to the torch the first part of this year. I used to not like my eggs as much when I was using those starter blocks. I forgot how bad they sucked. 
  • Lit
    Options
    It could be the blocks for sure. I use the blocks in my chimney with my other smoker and even in the chimney it's a thick white smoke for 10-15 minutes.
  • GradeALarge
    Options
    Gosh… I have a hard time with the dippings theory… New lump, old lump after using the drip in pan, still get the white smoke .   I'm leaning toward thinking its the starter.  But I just bought two boxes on sale at the hardware store :o  … or it could be BGE lump! :o

BTW this is no big deal…. I am just a bit curious.
  • Lit
    Options
    Gosh… I have a hard time with the dippings theory… New lump, old lump after using the drip in pan, still get the white smoke .   I'm leaning toward thinking its the starter.  But I just bought two boxes on sale at the hardware store :o  … or it could be BGE lump! :o

BTW this is no big deal…. I am just a bit curious.
    If you don't use a drip pan or if it overflows you will have white smoke for a long time. I went to do a pizza in my XL once and it had been used only for low and slows for a long time and it took probably close to an hour to burn clean sitting at 500. I almost gave up. Same thing happens if your plate setter gets drippings on it it will have thick white smoke.
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    I use a looftlighter to start lump. I don't have any white smoke unless there are drippings on the charcoal from a previous direct cook. Even then I wouldn't consider it to be all that billowy.
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Agreed with the above. Ditch the crappy BGE lump as well as those starters. With old lump, I've added
    meat in less than ten minutes before. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • GradeALarge
    Options
    Mmm... Might be looking for an alternative starter. 

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    +1 on the MAP torch.  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    I have recently experimented with using my weed burner (Map Pro or Propane) to start the charcoal instead of Rutland starters.   There is a lot less smoke with the weed burner.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • blindref757
    Options
    Mmm... Might be looking for an alternative starter. 

Looftlighter!  Best tool on my patio!
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    damp lump
    Gittin' there...
  • snoqualmiesmoker
    Options
    Same issue with a compeotors starters.  Gave up on those after the white cloud kept going on and on.  I use a mapp torch for a few minutes, and a cheap air blower from http://www.fiair.net
  • A5firearms
    A5firearms Posts: 163
    Options
    +1 on the starter blocks.
    Lake Keowee, SC
    XLarge, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Custom Table, KAB, Woo2, Guru DigiQ DX2,
    Family of 5 Meat Eaters
  • MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    Options

The coals are not hot enough yet. When anything starts to burn the source of fuel off gasses as what we see as smoke. When the heat is high enough the white smoke will burn and you will have a clearer smoke. Just takes a little time 

St. Johns County, Florida
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    MaC122 said:

The coals are not hot enough yet. When anything starts to burn the source of fuel off gasses as what we see as smoke. When the heat is high enough the white smoke will burn and you will have a clearer smoke. Just takes a little time 

This makes the most sense of anything I've read yet; I do know that when the BGE starter block (not Rutland, which I have no experience with) is burning fully but the lump not yet going, the smoke is actually a thin black, not white at all

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• GradeALarge
    Options
    Thanks everybody for your thoughts and input.  My smoke upon starting is definitely thick and white (maybe a tinge of gray).  It dissapears after about 10 minutes … it is no problem for me…. I'm just a curious egger.  The fact that it is seen only during starting makes me think it has to do with the starting process or starter cubes.  If it was related to the temperature of the coals I would think that some white smoke would be seen throughout most of the burn since during a burn there are coals that are (1) burning, (2) starting to burn, or (3) not burning yet.  But once my coals reach temperature the top vent shows virtually no smoke  (unless of course I throw on some wood).  Also the fact that this happens when starting old, crusty, veteran, gray coals is part of the curiosity since they should have had all their off-gasses already burnt off.  I was looking at MAP units at HD today….humm ;)  BTW… I am an older, gray (or grey) veteran myself ...so not disrespecting those old coals :D
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    The big billowing smoke I see is the paraffin starter. I'll let that burn off until there are no more flames before I close the Egg and let it come up to temperature. I'll leave it open, set the temp, and wait for for thin, blue smoke.

I'm usually in no big hurry to stabilize the Egg, so no worries. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS