Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Placement of wood chunks

Options
I know this has been discussed multiple times I'm sure but how would you recommend placement of wood chunks in your Egg to get a consistent smoke? I'm currently cooking a pork shoulder and I had good smoke at 250 for about 3hrs and it stopped. I had placed 5 chunks on the bottom, poured coal over it and then placed 5 more on top. It didn't seem to burn enough to reach the other chunks of wood. I bumped the temp at 170 to push through the stall, went to the store and when I got back my temp was 300 and I have smoke again. Suggestions would be appreciated. 

Live in Austin/From Arkansas

XL BGE

Comments

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options

put wood chunks in fire.

I use small to med size chips and or chunks and I place them in a ring around where I start the fire.   (1/2 weber chimney red hot in the bottom center of the firebox. then fill up the firebox and then place the chips/chunks in a ring around that fire (and push them down to where the fire is as I do fill the fb.)

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    10 chunks is way too much, IMO. you need about three 1/2 fist size for a long cook. Mix them thru the lump. With a Weber you are looking for those wisps of smoke to tell you smoke is happening, in a kamado you can smell smoke, but you do not have to see it. often called clear smoke. The airflow is so restricted a little smoke goes a long way. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Arkysmokin
    Arkysmokin Posts: 124
    Options
    Thank you both. I thought 10 was to much also but I assumed since I couldn't see it that it wasn't happening so I over indulged. I know they say food can only take so much smoke. 

Live in Austin/From Arkansas

XL BGE

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    bury the chunks as suggested but also put one or two right on the fire when you load up the meat.  '
    t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I know they say food can only take so much smoke. 
    Meat will take smoke as long as there IS smoke. The smoke RING (which isn't really a smoke ring) stops forming when the meat reaches about 140°. So the colder the meat is when you put it in the cooker, the more smoke ring you'll get before it reaches 140°. But it will take smoke til the cows come home.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Thank you both. I thought 10 was to much also but I assumed since I couldn't see it that it wasn't happening so I over indulged. I know they say food can only take so much smoke. 
    It is possible to add too much smoke. You can definitely ruin a cook with too much. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.