Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HELP! Fire went out overnight while burning two butts....

Options
went to bed last night and temp was a steady 225-250...woke up this morning 11.5 into what should've been a 13 hr burn to see the fire went out .  I removed butts, added more fuel, restarted fire and now have the butts back on....ugh.  Anything else I can do?  Guessing I'm no longer cooking based on time but more like internal temp now.   I have to leave for beach in 3 hrs...might have to finish cook in beach house oven,,,,,any thoughts?
Charlotte, nc

Comments

• Rockosteel
    Rockosteel Posts: 44
    Options
    ... Added thought .. Internal temp is 135....ok to keep cooking and serve or throw out?
    Charlotte, nc
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    No problem on the finishing the cook. If you have time you might want to turbo. Kick the temp up, monitor IT. 1.5 hours from finish@ 225, should not be long with final turbo. Or beach house oven. Either way it will be ok.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    You shouldn't have been cooking on time to begin with.  Cook by internal temp.  Except for you schedule I see no problem.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Food service rule is that cooked food cannot be served safely if it sat in temperatures under 140F for more than 2 hours. Considering that the rule is designed to reduce hazard to about 1 out of 100000, its pretty stringent.

I'd have to guess that while you are not in the clear, your risk is still quite small. Its your call, but I certainly would not feed it to toddlers or elderly.
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    The trick is knowing when your fire went out  how long it was out ...what the temp was when you checked them... and if not well past  140.... how long they were at that temp.
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Also what was the temperature of the egg when you woke up?  I think the rule is based on the ambient temp (e.g. the egg temp) not the internal temp.  If the egg was over 140 then you are fine. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    If you decide they are safe and move forward, I would wrap them in foil and crank the heat up on the egg.  

How far is the beach house?  Can you FTC them on the drive (assuming that was probably the plan).  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    I use the rule of no more than 4 hours in the 40-140*F range.  Sounds like you have no issues with that criteria.  I agree with those above-dial it up to around 325-350*F and foil wrap to punch it home.
    Also-your initial post implies you ran low on lump during the cook.  Within reason you cannot load too much lump-well into the fire ring up to the lip and you are just fine.  Anything left can be stirred and used on the next cook.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Too many variables in your situation to figure it all out. Considering you're going to use the butts for pulled pork, I think you'll be fine as far as food safety goes. Just my opinion. I'm not a scientist, but your pork will be in the kill zone a long time waiting for the fat to render. The pathogen load should be considered safe. I think. IDK. I'd eat it. 

Did you actually run out of fuel or did the fire go out? I'm assuming you used a LBGE or bigger. At those temps, you should of had plenty of fuel left at the temps you listed. Most on here will agree that cooking to temp is always #1 priority. Exception is butts go by feel and temp is just used to determine how the cook is moving along. Time is only used as a guesstimate, but that's all it is, a guesstimate. BBQ is done when it's done. There are some tricks to get where you need to be if time becomes a factor. The easiest trick is try to finish early and FTC (less stressful). If you run behind you can bump temps or wrap to finish sooner. 

No worries though. It's all fun. Have a good meal. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming