Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Henapple said I could cook a good meal in a shoebox

Options
Foghorn
Foghorn Posts: 9,842
edited July 2015 in Off Topic
http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1171404/its-not-always-the-best/p1

A while back, @henapple said I could cook a meal in a shoebox. My son and I decided we were up to the challenge but given our work and school schedules it took a while for us to have the time. It turns out we can (apparently) do it with a 50% success rate. 

We lined the bottom of 2 shoe boxes with foil and started fires in them and added potatoes (in foil) and zucchini. One shoebox went up in flames. As a result we now recommend NuBalance boxes for cooking. We ended up with pork tenderloin (marinated in chipotle lime marinade), potatoes, and zucchini from the box that survived. 

I will use multiple posts for the pics to get some reasonable semblance of order. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

Comments

• Foghorn
    Options

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    That cook really has sole!  Kudos!
    Options

San Antonio, TX

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    I see what you did there 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    That's awesome!  Thanks for sharing.  Eggs on the car radiator next? ;)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I'm glad he took henapple's suggestion and ran with it.
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Thanks @nolaegghead.

And @WeberWho?, I'm not a fan of eggs, but bacon could definitely be next.

San Antonio, TX

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    In keeping instep with this theme, did the food take on an aged, cheesy like taste? My wife would put her foot down if I walked that line.
  • Foghorn
    Options
    In keeping instep with this theme, did the food take on an aged, cheesy like taste? My wife would put her foot down if I walked that line.

No @Eggcelsior, it just tasted like grilled food.  The chipotle lime marinade must have dissolved any toejam effect.

San Antonio, TX

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    Good to hear! Was it a marathon or a sprint to the finish?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    My shoebox smoker has a fungus problem....do you think a clean burn would fix that or would I damage the finish?
    Options
    Good to hear! Was it a marathon or a sprint to the finish?
    @Eggcelsior, that depends on how fast you run. For me it was a 10k. For a world class runner it was a half marathon - about an hour cook time. 

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Options
    My shoebox smoker has a fungus problem....do you think a clean burn would fix that or would I damage the finish?
    @nolaegghead, I think a clean burn - WITH YOUR FEET IN THE SHOEBOX - is your best option. 

San Antonio, TX

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    That's awesome....next...  Car engine. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Foghorn
    Options
    henapple said:
    That's awesome....next...  Car engine. 

@henapple, Scoop of chocolate, scoop of vanilla - don't waste my time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pbVxyL-OeM

San Antonio, TX

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Foghorn- That's cool brother. Stuff like that fascinates me. Just goes to show, where there's a will there's a way. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Foghorn
    Options
    Thanks @SGH.  I think if we fully wrapped the shoe boxes in foil, both boxes would have survived and we would have had a good meal with a beef tenderloin as well.  But that would have seemed a little like cheating.  I was actually thinking about your thread on wrapping briskets that discussed the burning temperature of butcher paper and I wondered how the cardboard of a shoe box would hold up.  I'm not sure if one fire was hotter than the other - or if one of the boxes was just more flammable. 

San Antonio, TX

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Foghorn - Brother Horn, for thinking outside of the box and stepping up to the challenge of shoe box cooking, allow me:

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Foghorn
    Options
    @SGH,

You complete me.

San Antonio, TX

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Was the meat tender of like shoe leather?
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Was the meat tender of like shoe leather?
    @theyolksonyou, that's probably the best one yet. But it was quite tender. 

San Antonio, TX

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I've cooked in a spoo...... Never mind.  :o
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN